RC seed shelf life

overit

++ Tony is spot on. :)

Alcohol extract stored in the freezer keeps much longer (but that stuff is NASTY).. :(  Made me want to barf just smelling it.

Overit, I'd recommend getting fresh,  (just in case).  Well worth the few $ to not let the attacks come swinging back if your seeds are old.

J

I feel what may be shadows (hopefully not)
  Hopefully not, agreed.  But we've seen so many people put off busting and then regret that they didn't hit it early.  My suggestion -- Take a good-sized bunch of the ones you have now, while you're waiting for the fresh ones you order today to arrive.  Worst that can happen is that the old ones have no effect; best is that you get a head start, just in case. Or, if they weren't shadows, maybe you get in a good preventive bust.

Hopefully not, agreed.  But we've seen so many people put off busting and then regret that they didn't hit it early.  My suggestion -- Take a good-sized bunch of the ones you have now, while you're waiting for the fresh ones you order today to arrive.  Worst that can happen is that the old ones have no effect; best is that you get a head start, just in case. Or, if they weren't shadows, maybe you get in a good preventive bust. 

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Have more coming today. I've never done this so kind of nervous. I'm hoping it just makes me drowsy...we'll see.

overit,

Tell us specifics of what you're planning to do (how many, how prepared, etc.)  Or, if you follow Moxie Girl's excellent guidance here -- https://www.clusterheadaches.com/cb/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1357378289 -- you'll do fine.

I would only say these small things regarding her excellent  post: (1) Anything less than 30 seeds is a very cautious first dose.  You might want to be cautious, but I wouldn't go below 25, and I would recommend more like 35, which still feels "cautious" to me, based on results posted here over many years. (2) Some people think that fluoridated tap water, which is common in the US, can block the effectiveness of the extraction.  So you might want to use non-fizzy bottled water.   (3) The squeeze of lemon is a good idea for masking the taste, but not important for extraction.  If you hate the taste, chase it down with some cranberry juice or other juice.

Of all possible immediate effects from a reasonable dose, drowsiness is at the top of the list, way, way ahead of anything else.

Thanks for the advice. Was thinking of trying 35 tonight. It sounds like I should be able to sleep no problem. Is that accurate? Also, should I expect stomach upset or nausea? Should I have a drink? All advice is welcome!

I think maybe one or two people have said they had some trouble sleeping.  I was just talking to a person who was saying how much she loves taking her seeds because she gets such a good sleep that night -- I think this is a much more common reaction, and I hope it will be true for you.

It would be very surprising if you got stomach upset or nausea, particularly with 35 seeds. I think maybe Moxie said that she got some (??).  It almost certainly won't be much. (I wish we could avoid all the "almost"-type qualifiers, but mileage does vary with these things.)  So you shouldn't expect it, but it could happen, possibly.

A drink????  An alcoholic drink????  Even if it's not a trigger for you, I don't think we'd recommend that.

Best wishes for smooth sailing.

I can just relate my own RC experience which typically has involved about one minute of marked nausea, before drifting off to a better than usual night's sleep (I ingest 'em on an empty stomach right before bed).

There was one time when I was lying there in bed, having forgotten I'd even taken a good 65-75 or so RC, and I noticed with eyes closed I was seeing some colorful things on the inside of the 'ol eyelids. Took awhile before I realized "oh, it must be the from the RC". Then I conked out. I guess I must've been in possession of a pretty potent batch that time.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Chfather, alcohol is most definitely a trigger but I'm not in cycle. I'm just trying to prevent one bc I was having slight slight pain on my right side. Hopefully it wasn't cluster related but busting to be safe. It's more of a preventative bust than anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

Overit,

My rule of thumb is to take enough to ensure I get a threshold (psychedelic) experience.  Not deep, but just enough to know the chemicals were active.  That said though, I personally never received RC that were active (always had no LSA).  HBWR on the other hand I found quite the experience from time to time with very small doses (As small as 4 seeds).

J

Overit,

My rule of thumb is to take enough to ensure I get a threshold (psychedelic) experience.  Not deep, but just enough to know the chemicals were active.  That said though, I personally never received RC that were active (always had no LSA).  HBWR on the other hand I found quite the experience from time to time with very small doses (As small as 4 seeds).

J

Interesting. And you've ordered from the recommended venders? So you don't think that they work at all?

I've never gotten much other than vivid dreams and drowsiness. I think I'm more confer able using other busting tools if in going for a real psychedelic experience. I was thinking that seeds are an easy way to busy without putting a day aside for it.

overit,

THMH and I have different perspectives on this.  I'll give you mine; you can decide. [i see he just responded to you while I was writing my post. I agree with what he says there, and I am in some ways just restating it here, at greater length.]

Of course he is right that unless you have some kind of psychedelic experience, you won't know for certain that you received LSA.  But we have had many people use seeds from the standard recommended vendors who have not had any level of psychedelic experience but who still have achieved results that say there was LSA in there.  Those results range from remission to the slapbacks that pretty convincingly show that the seeds were having an effect. 

I also go back to Dr. Sewell's [RIP] seed testing (seeds sent to him by busters). Although there were wide variations in the amount of LSA in both types of seeds (RC and HBWR), all the RC his lab tested had some LSA in it (it was only in one sample of HBWR that he found zero LSA).

My own belief is that if you take at least 50 float-tested RC seeds you are very likely to get a sufficient dose of LSA.  You could almost certainly take more, if you wanted to.  Our principle here has generally been to take the lowest amount feasible -- enough to treat your CH with minimal psychedelic effects.  That's because we're in the CH-treatment arena here, not the tripping arena.  But if you're comfortable with the possibility of a trip, by all means go ahead and take more.  It can't hurt (and, to be honest, you probably wouldn't have a serious trip even with 80 seeds).    

+++ CHFather :)

Discussing the DR Sewell paper a pretty important item to note:  100% of those that used seeds in greater than .5mg of LSA had relief of their CH.  100% is pretty convincing to me :)  Problem though is there's no way to know how to get .5mg unless a person hits a threshold dose.  I'd certainly prefer a sub hallucinogenic dose myself, but my experience mirrors the poster and don't get relief unless i hit a threshold dose.

J

THMH and overit,

A couple of other things about the Sewell poster, which do not contradict THMH's position, but amplify it a little:

"93% of subjects ingested LSA in a dose low enough to produce no psychoactive effects." (So, the LSA was working even when there were no effects. But this doesn't change THMH's point that the only way to know for sure that you're getting enough LSA is to feel some effects. It just says that a lot of people who felt no effects still got good results.)

All four people who took seeds preventively skipped their next cycle.  Two of them sent in samples, and they had taken a lot of LSA: 1.1mg and 2.8mg. This might mean that a preventive dose is better if it's quite strong. (It doesn't necessarily mean that, but it could.)  I suppose you (overit) might see how 50 affects you, and maybe if there's no effect, take a stronger dose a week or two later (??).

http://clusterheadacheinfo.wdfiles.com/local--files/file%3Asewell-2008-aha-lsa-poster/sewell_2008_aha_lsa_poster.pdf'>

http://clusterheadacheinfo.wdfiles.com/local--files/file%3Asewell-2008-aha-lsa-poster/sewell_2008_aha_lsa_poster.pdf

overit,

Just so you know something about the history here, Dr. Sewell was a great friend of busters, and of people with CH in general.  He died suddenly and unexpectedly last year, very young.  He was on the faculty at Yale Medical School. He maintained a CH-related blog (clusterattack.com), and he was very, very generous with his time, with me personally and many others.  He is greatly missed.

overit,

Just so you know something about the history here, Dr. Sewell was a great friend of busters, and of people with CH in general.  He died suddenly and unexpectedly last year, very young.  He was on the faculty at Yale Medical School. He maintained a CH-related blog (clusterattack.com), and he was very, very generous with his time, with me personally and many others.  He is greatly missed.

Just spent some time reading about him. Seems like he was an amazing guy. Huge loss to us all.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone gotten something similar to slap backs when busting as a preventative while OUT OF cycle? I woke up today with a clogged feeling ear and sporadic slight pains behind eye after busting on Monday. I'm not in cycle so it's a little weird/

I should also mention that my first cycle started at the end of last summer.