New devise at OSU to treat clusters.

from the video (which isn't exact by any means) im wondering and have been now for a couple weeks from reading and reading and reading if this device isn't stimulating the CIliary Ganglion instead of the Sphenopaletine or Peterygopalatine ganglion... in my reading its the Ciliary Ganglion that caused the lacrimimal glands to secrete tears and the nose to run in the CH's (classic symptoms).. this might be why the Sphenopaletine ganglion blocks don't have compelte or desired affects that the numbing agents applied need to be directed at the Ciliary Ganglion... Thoughts ????  (way to much free time on my hands)

Dee, you are one database digging, fact finding one of a kind, we love ya, keep it up.... yea where is the PF news from this device, would acupuncture stimulation the Sphenopalatine Ganglion, waiting for more new about this device.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe you are speaking of the Autonomic Technologies Inc (ATI) Sphenopalantine Ganglion (SPG) neurostimulator device, correct? I pretty much give myself away to the very few who may know this but I have this electrode and set of 6 SPG neurostimulators surgically implanted. I paid and fought to have this procedure done in Hamburg, Germany in August of last year as a 15 year CH sufferer (last 3 years of which "chronic" and pretty much end of the line). Prior to the start of US trials at Ohio State, I am pretty sure I am the only American citizen, if there is another please speak up!, with the implant. Such a long journey but cutting edge technology and a fairly non-invasive procedure for those who find themselves even considering a surgical option when compared to Occipital Nerve Stimulators or Deep Brain Stimulation. Unlike the horrific messy stimulator procedures FDA approved in the US for treating CH this device has 1 lead wire where migration is near impossible, no battery (power generated by external radio frequency remote when held gently over upper left cheek and couples with electrode under skin) so ideally no continual surgery to replace and store battery in new part of body, and actually targets the set of nerves and fibers that are much more universally recognized as the origin of the unspeakable pain in CH attacks. I am a bio-chemist by trade, and no question the SPG, Maxillary, and surrounding offshoots of the Trigeminal are the nerves that need high frequency stimulation. 1 hour general anesthetic procedure with simple incision in the upper gum. Clinically proven MRI safe. No external scars and although non-invasive for a neurostimulator, surgery still is surgery and risks are present. However, my expected CH attacks have decreased by an astounding 90% in the last 8 months.

..my expected CH attacks have decreased by an astounding 90% in the last 8 months...

Well now that is the bona fide zinger right there, for a chronic CH'er to get such results.  :o

WooDAWGY, man it would be cool if you could make the upcoming conference. Granted it's a bit of a hike from California, but hey you're so close to the Ontario airport there, and Nashville can be fairly nice this time of year (no guarantees though  :D).

CONGRATS on that astounding 90% decrease.  :)

CN thanks for the update, very happy for your results, I'm chronic and learning more about the Sphenopalantine Ganglion. I would consider a non-invasive as possible surgical option (damn i must be getting to the end of my option for treatment). CN please post more about when and how you use your device and does it abort a CH, when you do have an hit what's the kip level and duration, sorry for so many question, it's just a new way to squash the beast and I'm all for it. thanks, peace

• 4 weeks later...

Chicago is most definitely the place .......... and I am assuming the dates will be posted in the next 30-60 days.  Already looking forward to it.  :)

Headache on the Hill will be here before we know it!!  D.C. here we come again!