Vitamin D???

Darci

So this may be a dumb question. But I recently went to my gp and she did a physical and blood test. My tests came back that I have low vitamin D. She gave me pills to take once a week for 12 weeks and then I need to be retested.

Then I am advised to join here....I do and now I am seeing posts about D3. The pill the Dr gave me to take is D2.

I'm assuming these are different BUT I am wondering if the vitamin D deficiency has a part to play in this. Also I want to start the D3 but I don't know if I can now that I'm taking the D2. I suppose I should go read the "Play well together" area. :)

Darci,

I can't explain the difference between D2 and D3, but I am familiar with the RX for D2. I had the same RX from my doctor. I didn't get along with the RX at all. I think I tried for about 2 weeks and then flushed them.

I switched to D3 OTC.

I have bloodwork done every 6 months for another reason and my vit. D level is good.

My advice is dump the D2 and get D3. Wish I could explain the "why". A fellow member explained it to me. Perhaps he will pop in.

Hope this helps.       Leslie

Thank you Leslie. I've only taken one of the D2 so far. This is a relatively new discovery sooo I'm assuming I could stop and switch to the D3 fairly easy.

She's also prescribed prednisone to break my current CH cycle. I'm hoping there are no bad interactions there either. I'm on day 2 of the prednisone and she's only given me a 5 day script so worse case scenario I can wait a bit to start the D3. I'm in the process now of scouring the D3 posts for any info. lol.

Thanks again!

I don't recall seeing cautions about D3 interacting badly with anything.

There's an entire D3 regimen that many follow for CH:

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cb/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1314134804

Prednisone on the other hand has been suspected as a busting blocker, and historically waiting 5 days after tapering off of predinisone has been suggested before busting (this was thrown into question just recently though when there was one reported case of a clusterhead successfully busting while still on pred).

Here's hoping that your pred burst will at least give you a temporary break, with no roid rage side effect. If you notice personality changes with yourself while on it, keep in mind pred can do that.

Thanks BeJeeber. I was curious about the D2/D3 and then as an afterthought was "oh yeah I'm also on pred". lol This dose of the prednisone is a lot lower than previous ones I've been on and a lot shorter so I'm skeptical but hopeful that it will work to break this cycle. I've had good luck with the prednisone in the past. I've got an email in to "Batch". So hopefully I will know if/when I can start on D3. :)

I was once on the Vitamin D3 regimen, it knocked my clusters on the head in about 3 days, by which time I was seeing significant improvement. But, it also turned my urine to fire, which wasn't as much fun. My neurologist thought it was an interaction between the Vitamin D3 and the high dosage of Topiramate I was on. But, now that I'm not taking either, I've learned that if I just have too much Vitamin D in my system, I pee fire.

That is the only hint of an interaction issue I've ever heard of in regards to Vitamins - and I don't think it's a substantial one. So I'd bet you're pretty safe with it.

The Vitamin D3 regimen calls for about 10,000 mu of Vitamin D3, if I remember correctly (It has been some time). I can't imagine any pill your doc has given you to take once a week is approaching that.

MG