CH traits?

diamondmaker

How many CHers out there have what they might consider obsessive thoughts (perfectionist perhaps), find themselves feeling edgy when idle time arrives, always needs to move... do something, can't sleep at night... mind will not shut off.

I am trying to identify things that may be common.

Perfectionist traits abound here!!!  ;D They certainly do slow down what I do, but without trying for perfect, I am not going to like the outcome.

Confession: I keep pen and paper by the bed for midnight thoughts about what I need to do the next day and so forth.  ::)

I can't claim obsessive because once I 'finish' something, it is totally let go. I do not have to check the door 10 times to make sure it is, in fact, locked!

When I sit, I read. A lot.

YES! To all of it.  I am so anal retentive that I don't know how my family tolerates me.  I too keep the pen and paper handy and am a list maker from the very bowels of hell.  I have caught myself making a list of lists so I can keep up.  But then realized that this was completely ridiculous behavior.  When I am faced with a task I would much rather do it myself, because I know if anyone "helps" me, it won't be to my standards and I will redo it anyway. I am working on rectifying this through my meditation  :D. And as far as sitting still....never...always gotta be going and doing.  Cleaning the house at 3:00am? Thats normal...right? ::)

Fabac,

Hahaha!!! Yesssss, I used to do that cleaning thing too. But, now that I am officially retired, not so much.  8-) Since none of my kids keep as neat a house as I still do, I no longer worry about such!

Also with THMH on the engineering, designing, creative stuff.  :) But, like I said, retired now. No longer spend time working on how to make something run smoother, longer, better, or produce more product! But, I really did enjoy it.

Every personality test given by prospective employers came out analytical, controller or controller, controller! ;D

I still do not accept things beyond my control willingly.

Yup, that's me exactly.  The mind is terminally in a state of action.

Always moving, constantly searching for new information and answers.  I tackle new subjects and projects at a steady pace.

When the workbench is clear, I feel lost. 

I have lists to tell me where my lists are.

Just the tracking of CH has already filled one notebook (charts and graphs too).

Busy brain is a happy brain, same for the hands too.

weatherman  8-)

I obsess about many things. My closet is in a perfect colorwheel order starting with gray through gray again. I think I can sometimes feel the couch cusions out of order when I am in the other room. I hate sitting still. Really must continually occupy my mind. I tap my fingers all of the time to the music/ideas in my head, much to the chagrin of everyone around me. I wake up at odd hours when not in cycle and I draw/sketch my nightmares or write music. In cycle I spend weeks at a time on no more than 3 hours of sleep scattered throughout a night so I am groggy, pissed, and pretty much a detriment to society and my own well-being. But even during those times I am always moving! I am tapping my fingers between words. Jeesh...Thanks DM...another thing to obsess over. Tapping/moving

Same here :) Always active, never slept well - ever, my brain just won't let me! I went to meditation classed for 6 months, but I couldn't switch off to meditate, even my stomach decided to be active and gurgle loudly because I was sitting doing nothing...I have to be up 3-4 hours before I go to work to get the housework done.  Always looking for something to do and have to do it at 100 mph...

I wouldn't call myself a perfectionist... But I am meticulous to a fault.

I am also a little OCD about washing hands and the like. But I think that might just be my age.

Never been a particularly good sleeper. Never had a rigid sleeping pattern. Even when I was a kid.

Great replies...

I figure I might get close to the same responses in any population though.

If my thinking about the beast is correct, then he does show up in our lives in different ways other than the pain. The thing is, what I have identified in my life shows in the above discussion... but depending on sensitivity to/or degree affected, it it may be simply disregarded as a personality quirk by some... or diagnosed as a mental illness for those really bothered by it... or anything in between. In some it may just be undetectable for them because of other things going on...

Just wanted to throw it out there. I really feel the knot tying all the time.

OK so gleaning the information of what we have in common thus far...

1) no discernible sleep pattern

2) controlling behavior bordering on obsessive

3) inability/difficulty "quieting the mind"

I would ask if everyone else finds it easier to concentrate when faced with a bunch of tasks, rather than just one?  As if the brain is happier and more comfortable thinking in 5 different directions at once rather than just focusing on one thing?

I would say yes Fabac. It is much easier and more satisfying to face multiple issues, pick the one to fix and fix it first.

Then, continue down the list. However, I often have the most difficulty with the last issue. Not because it is the most important per se (sp?), but because it is the only thing to focus on. I tend to over research or over think that item and take forever to resolve it!! But, that could be because I save the hardest or most ambivalent for last! I can spend three days deciding what quilt to buy when it would be much easier to order two and send one back!!! I just get stuck.  :-/

I always blame the perfectionist part! It drives my family nuts. Just can't seem to jump into what might be a wrong decision, even if it is easily fixed.

Not actually sure that answers your question, but it describes my reaction to that situation.

That was one nice thing about working. You never got to where there was just one thing left on the plate!!!  ;D

oh, yea...  My mind is definitely happier going in 5 directions at once.  I have to really concentrate to be able to focus on one task. 

I also rock incessantly - Anytime my brain is working.  My body is also.  I can't sit still AT ALL when I'm focused on coding etc. anything that requires focused concentration.  No connection to caffeine or any stimulants, it's just the way my brain works.

J

Not sure what earworm thoughts are... but many of my thoughts feel like they are gonna bore a hole in my head.

And rocking... I perfected it to music at 5, but earlier... well too young to remember. My folks say I started "bouncing"... sitting on the couch bouncing my back and head against the cushion... pretty much as soon as I could sit up.