CH traits?

diamondmaker

I've had cluster headache for 13 years. Episodic in the beginning, chronic for the  last 6 years.

I tend to obsess and have always had difficulty falling asleep due to running thoughts. I don't know if I'm a perfectionist, but I have always tried to complete tasks as fully and efficiently as I'm able. I also have pretty bad allergies and get ringing in the ears (tinnitus).

One other interesting thing: although I was always suffering from colds and flu before getting cluster headaches, I NEVER get 'regular' sick anymore. Ie. I have taken care of people with bad colds and terrible flu many times while never getting sick myself.   

Another 'rocker' here too!! Mum took me to the docs when i was a toddler because i used to rock with my back against the wall, almost bouncing off it and could never sit still - doc said i was just a 'well balanced' child and it was normal and just a 'soothing mechanism'.. i used to make my own noise to the rocking too, and my sister always 'grassed-me-up' as it got on her nerves..we had bunk-beds and me rocking and making silly noises were obviously keeping her awake...it became a habit that I had to get myself out of when i was getting married!! He'd have thought i was a loony-toon!!  I still like to jiggle my feet/legs though :)

Hey TE,

i used to rock with my back against the wall, almost bouncing off it and could never sit still - doc said i was just a 'well balanced' child and it was normal and just a 'soothing mechanism'

Exactly... but what were we soothing... at such a young age?

I still have to soothe in one way or another.

My understanding is that repeated motions (rocking) are predictable and controllable and therefore soothing against the outside world that we do not always understand and do not control. Especially as small children.

My way of dealing with those issues as a child was to read. In a rocking chair. Granted, not a very small child. But, when my childhood did a big about face, that is what I used to solve the mystery of my new life. Or just escape it actually.

I don't rock.

Don't roll either, but that is another story.

I don't even move around that much when I have a cluster attack. I tend to curl up and retreat into my head. There was a time, in the early days, when I couldn't sit still, but then I started developing internal escaping mechanisms.

When I'm working, I can't abide music or many distractions. Although sometimes I find writing in a coffee shop or pub enjoyable. To be productive, I need silence.

I wouldn't say I'm a perfectionist. Actually, I say I'm an '80%-ist'.  I tend to start things with perfectionist goals, get about 80% of the way there and go 'meh, that's close enough.'

MG