what do you do when you're struck down at work??

ToniEvo

Hi my knowledgeable and helpful afflicted by the black demon beast...

I've been hit the last two days at work, yesterday was the worst.

I took at Sumitriptan spray Tuesday and had ice on my eye, temple etc all day long.  Had a terribly painful and quite dangerous drive home and hit the 02 with some caffeine.  This gave much more relief.

Yesterday!! OMDays, hit again but much worse.  Unfortunately I didn't have a spray and as you guys know, pain-killers did nothing...all i had was ice, which dulled the pain very slightly now and again.  By 4pm i was writhing in the ladies toilets.  It was embarrassing, for others I suppose, but who cares what they think when you feel like that? I was given so much advice about what to do for my 'headache' - try and lie down in the office with the light off etc...have you had some paracetamol? You know...Anyway, I had to leave my car at work and one of the managers drove me home.  I think he felt out of his comfort zone to say the least. 

I had Sumitriptan injection and caffeine with my O2 when i got home.  SO much better, but shadowing and waking all through the night.

So guys, my question is...have you got any tips on what else I could do as I've not got portable O2 (until I see the neuro to prescribe it in 4 weeks) and I haven't started 'busting' ???.... yet!!

Thank you in advance, and apologies for my ramblings.

Wishing you all PFDAN :)

I think what I'd be doing in your situation is I'd always wear clothing with pockets at work.

And if enough supply was available I'd ALWAYS have a sumatriptan spray in one pocket, an energy shot in the other.

At first sign of an attack the spray, then the energy shot would be be whipped out and deployed faster than the fastest western gunfighter drawing his six shooters at high noon, whether you're in a meeting or whatever. 8-)

I'd have the injections on hand too, for times when they would be do-able.

Sorry you got hit like that, and  had to endure the "lie down, paracetamol", etc. addition of insults to injury. :(

T'E', as I'm remembering, you have an M tank at home, but it takes a neuro appointment to get a portable tank.  :o

In addition to lighting the aforementioned fire, might you look into getting a small welding oxygen tank that you could bring to work (or at least keep in your car)?  That's very easily done in the US, but I have no idea what the challenges might be in the UK. 

Does anyone know whether it's feasible to get welding O2 and a regulator there?  Is see this, for example -- http://gascylindersuk.co.uk/shop/index.php?_a=product&product_id=1014 -- but I'm not sure at all . . .

Hey Toni! So dang sorry to hear you are having that trouble.  I had a Trex script, 2 of them actually. One for pills and one for injections.  This is when I was episodic, but I would take my pills with me everywhere.  And I KNOW I shouldnt have done this, but I used them as a preventative when I was in an episode (this is probably the reason I went chronic but I had a family to take care of) I would take a pill in the morning before work started, then another around lunch, and another right before bed.  Like I said, that was WAY too much, but at the time I was only episodic, and my episodes would last from 3 days to 6 weeks.  After the episodes was over I wouldnt have to take anything.  But I am STILL finding bottles of Trex tablets that I had stashed...in the car, my purse, my oldest daughters house, my moms, my sisters.  Trex is awesome until it makes you go chronic....then ....not so much. 

OH!! I almost forgot....Start yourself a file of CH info...There is really a decent amount of beginner websites for people who know NOTHING about CH, that explain things pretty well.  A lot of them can be found right here in the CB Files,  The National Institute of Health also has quite a bit of info on CH (much to my surprise) its at nih.gov.

Aw wow guys, thanks for all the advice and support.

Yeah CHF i ahve to wait to see the neuro beofe I can have the portable O2.

I tried the sumitriptan spray at work, it wasn't effective.

The injection did work when I got home though, had a goodish day yesterday... :)

Thanks for the advicce about the 'welding tank, i could look into that too :)

I must say though my manager was brilliant :)

I always have the 'sprays', but what I need to do is get my doctor to prescribe more injections, she tends to only want to give me the 'sparys', they're not as effective though...why is that?

Take care you guys, sending many, many hugs and best wishes for PFDAN !! :) x

CHF- the attachment is great - thank you :)

Fabac, well done for fathoming out how to add the link - i';m still trying, and failing...I can't attach an image either!! Maybe i'll catch you up soon :)

I've not needed a spray etc today, just used ice as soon as the tell-tale stab in the eye, cheek etc has started and it's been ok :)

I'd kill for a Gin and Tonic after a long week, but settling for just the Tonic and maybe i'll sniff the gin :) and watch the hubby drink the beer/wine :)

Have a good one :) Thanks muchly :)

TE, the little globe icon at the top left of the area where you compose a message is for inserting hyperlinks. Find the URL you want to include, right click on it and select "copy," and in your post, click on that globe icon, right click, and paste.

(All of this is of course for Windows computers. I don't know anything about Apples.)

Here's how I post images, though I figure there must be an easier way . . . Upload the image to your computer (into your "My Pictures" folder for example) -- to do that, click on the image you want and then select "save image as."  Then, from my computer I upload it into the free photo storage website, www.photobucket.com.  It will then be in your "Library" at photobucket.  Click on Library, then click on the image you want to post.  When you do that, the image will appear and on the right side of the page you'll see a column headed "Share Links."  Put your cursor into the box to the right of the bottom item, IMG.  The cursor turns into a pointing finger.  Left click. The box briefly turns yellow, and you'll see a message  in the box that says "Copied."  All you have to do now is go to the post you're composing, right click, and select paste. Voila!

CHF :)  You amaze me, you're so full of knowledge and can do the computer stuff too!! My kids can help me, and have shown me how to get the pics onto my 'desktop' etc but then left me to it :)  I'm going to give it a go tomorrow, just for you :)

Thanks Muchly :)

Thankfully there is an alternate quick and simple option for posting images, but will I be able to describe how to do it in an understandable manner? Hmmm that's not what I'm known for but I'll give it a shot anyway.

OK class, let's all learn by trying to post ToniEvo's avatar pic into our messages:

1) Right click on the Toni pic and select "Copy image URL" or the equivalent for your OS/browser.

2) Paste what you've just copied into your message window, it should read like this - https://www.clusterheadaches.com/cb/yabbfiles/avatars/UserAvatars/ToniEvo.jpg (but not colored blue like this one)

3) Highlight that URL you just pasted in

4)  Click on this third from top left "Insert Image" icon in your message composing window: img.gif

5) Notice how it places img and /img code at the beginning and end of the URL you pasted in? You're done now. Preview your message and either the image will show up like it is for me below, or I just wasted your time and I am an arse.  :D

ToniEvo.jpg

In terms of shots, Jeebs likes 6 Hour Power, and there are folks who like Monster Hitman Sniper, which is loaded with caffeine.  5 Hour Energy has less caff than those two, but more than (or at least as much as) a RedBull. 5 Hour Energy Extra Strength has as much as the Sniper one.  Here's one list (which doesn't include the first two I mentioned): http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/12/the-buzz-on-energy-drink-caffeine/index.htm     Be sure you're also getting taurine in whatever you buy; that's generally believed to be what makes the difference in effectiveness (for many people) between energy shots/drinks and just plain coffee.

I figured YOU for also being one of those hoity-toity Apple types CHf. To think of you as always having strictly been a windows guy has completely blown my mind. I think I'm going to have to go lie down, try to recover, and re-think my place in the world now

My first computer had no hard drive, two 5.25" floppy drives, 256K of RAM, and a monochrome monitor.  That was before there was such a thing as Windows -- you could only do things by typing in your own DOS commands. No internet, of course, but you could send messages, if you could afford it, by sticking your phone into an acoustic coupler and waiting a few hours to see whether it worked.

330px-Analogue_modem_-_acoustic_coupler.jpg

TE,

I get hit at work on occassion as well. I use the energy drink-ice-scream method.

I slam the Monster (blue) as fast as I can..it has to be ice cold for best results. Then I put my ever-present ice pack on my eye, and proceed to scream. I find the screaming scares people away and retains my "OMG that dude is nuts" reputation I've worked so hard to uphold.

Seriously, I really think the colder the energy drink, the better it works. Someone may be able to tell me the actual body part, but there is a nerve center just above and behind the tongue...If you swallow it a certain way, the cold goes right across it and kills the pain for a few seconds at a time. Like I said, I have no idea what that thing/body part is, but it works.