Other chronic headache

gartozi

Hi to everyone was hoping for some advice from you guys I busted a 7 month cycle which was my worst ever the longest before was 70 days and is coming every 3 years. My problem is I have had headache since and have been told I have another chronic headache. It has been more than a year so at my last appiontment my neurologist told me I had chronic headache which has not been defined yet My problem is that I thought it was  was CH and have been taking preventive dose every month for about  16 months. So I'm wondering do I lengthen space in between? The beast is still around and to be honest I thought that it was what everyone calls the shadow.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.The doses are small and can vary from paper to mm. I have had CH for 27 years and also fibromyalgia. On a brighter note our beloved PinkFloyd have a new album out its on right now but not too loud! 

Hi Gartozi,

I have 3 types of primary headaches: Daily Chronic Headaches, Migraines and Clusters.

Busting has helped with my migraines and clusters, but hasn't touched my headaches.

Ironically, the chronic headaches and clusters started at about the same time, about a week apart. The headaches introduced themselves with a 7 month long, non-stop headache punctuated with migraines and clusters. Now, (nearly 9 years later) I get a headache 4-5 days a week, and they usually only last a few hours. But still, busting does nothing for them.

I think many people associate pain with what they describe as a shadow. Sometimes I'll get a headache for an hour or two before an attack that I think is a 'proper shadow'. These are of course indistinguishable from a normal headache. The only way I know they are different is that Anadin doesn't stop the headache and it ends with an almighty cluster.

I normally think of a shadow as being a presence, or foreboding in my mind more than a pre or post headache, but I'm not sure many think of it in the same way.

I've never heard of a shadow lasting more than a week or two.

Hope that helps some.

Rebounds are annoying, and something to be very much aware of when taking a lot of pain killers for headaches. I was getting them really bad a few years ago. Doc had me switch to Indomethacin for awhile so I could work myself free of anadin. My headaches decreased a lot over the course of a few months.

Thanks for the input Moxie,Domino much appreciated  I can try the busting again without meds I have not done that for some time as for last year it's been small preventive. Als o I was wanting to ask would 02 help with my chronic headache? Can't seem to move it at all. The headache feels like a screw in top of my skull that is too tight, have noticed that I don't most of the time feel it in morning untill I stand up. Most times i can deal with it but it can get realy ache I have tried sput and red bull which was working for me at first, this is why I thought it was only CH up untill my neurologist informed me of other chronic headache. Every day is a school day for us guys and just when I thought I knew what I was doing as well. I'm gonna stay positive and send my love to you all from Bonnie Scotland :)

Sorry to hear of your chronic headache gartozi, but glad to see you are able to still look on the positive sides in Bonnie Scotland.  :)

I'm just going to offer my personal interpretation of what constitutes a CH shadow:

It is localized in the exact same spot as a full on CH attack would be (for me that is right behind the right eye), but is relatively low intensity and can linger for a long time.

If I were to have pain in another area of the head I wouldn't consider it to be a CH shadow. But hey what does it matter what I call it when the only thing that really matters is just getting rid of it, and I hope you find an effective way to do so toot sweet.  8-)

Cheers guys I'm ok for 02 got that sorted a year ago when I found you guys. The shadow thing appears that my shadow has very rarely if at all left me since I busted cycle 16 months ago? Add the latest headache and I'm sure you guys will see that I'm trying to work it all out and I'm sure with some help I will get there. I will try the 02 and see where that takes me bud thanks  :)

An abortive that works for many on shadows and even a nagging 'regular' headache is ginger.

Just dissolve about a teaspoon in 6 - 8 ounces of tepid water (warm enough to dissolve the powdered ginger).  I'm talking powdered ginger right out of your spice rack.  It will usually knock the headache out in 10 to 15 minutes if it works for you!

Yes thanks I will try that one tomorrow myself and cheers Tonievo I'm not too bad right now brother but finding some relieve would be good I think my shadows been far too shadowy I thought this was normal you know it would be great to meet another clusterhead- you guys and someone mentioned a UK conference , would be a godsend  too speake and learne from each other