Shrooms and depression - NY Times

CHfather

From two days ago.  Nothing new here, really, but getting more out into the mainstream never can hurt.  http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/30/opinion/sunday/can-mushrooms-treat-depression.html

Last paragraphs: >> I experienced a number of small epiphanies — self-realizations actually — but one in particular remained with me. As the drug wore off, I went indoors to take a hot bath. For a moment I thought that might not be a good idea, as bath time is when women in middle age can be very self-critical and unforgiving, and I didn’t want the sight of my waistline to veer me into a bad trip. But while in the tub I envisioned my body as a ship that was taking me through life, and that made it beautiful. I stopped feeling guilty about growing older and regretful about losing my looks. Instead, I felt overwhelming gratitude. It was a tremendous relief that I still feel.

Psilocybin could have enormous impact on the lives of many Americans. But at the moment, its Schedule 1 status makes it a difficult drug to study, and only a handful of scientists are engaged in its research. This needs to change. Rescheduling psilocybin wonÂ’t make it legal; it will make it easier for research to be conducted, leading to more scientists exploring its potential, while reducing investor concern and allowing for compassionate use provisions.

DonÂ’t get me wrong: IÂ’m not suggesting 16-year-olds take magic mushrooms. IÂ’m not suggesting they be used to party at all. What I am advocating for is a mind open to the possibilities of their use to help people in need. Because illiberality doesnÂ’t cure disease; curiosity does.<<<

My spouse has suffered with chronic depression all of her life. I am printing and passing this article on to her. 
  Hope it helps.

As I've mentioned, she should also keep her eye on this product, which should become available next year if all goes well, or at the latest in 2016. (Of course, when it becomes commercial it will have a different name.)

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/news/science-news/2013/ketamine-cousin-rapidly-lifts-depression-without-side-effects.shtml

I have said that I have some (possibly naive) high hopes for this regarding CH treatment, since it's a side-effect-free cousin of ketamine.  As I've also mentioned, I've been playing golf many times each year for nearly 20 years with the guy who invented this (Joe Moskal). It's frustrating to me that I can't get him to slip me a few leftover pills to test out for "off-label" use for CH. :-/

It's definitely made an enormous positive impact on my life.  Not only practically eliminating my CH, but also helping how I "feel" every day.  :)  My "normal" (prior to busting) type 'A' personality has been muted somewhat.  I can relax in situations I never would have felt comfortable before.  That alone has significantly increased my life satisfaction.

J