The War on Drugs

MoxieGirl

I meant to say 'the war on drugs that is a lie.'

Sorry, being a bit cynical tonight.

This is a REALLY good article about a book that looks really good. Am adding it to my reading list.

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/likely-cause-addiction-has-been-discovered-and-it-not-what-you-think

Once you read the article, go here: http://chasingthescream.com   (but only if you want to)

MG

But Moxie, how true that is, right?

Take away love, caring, connection and you have a starving human. That starving human will take what 'comfort food' is offered or can be found. Even if it takes his/her pain of being alone away for only a short time, it gives them some respite. Some time not being alone.

Good article.

Thanks everyone. Am wishing I'd written the article and not just reposted it from a fellow CH'er who posted it on FB.

The addictive personality question. I hope that is answered in the book, but I would guess nothing is ever that cut and dry. I might also guess that addictive personality is just someone who is in 'need', although they don't know what they need to satisfy their craving, so they latch onto everything. Perhaps if they found fulfilment in something they wouldn't be so addictive to everything. But I really have no clue, I'm not naturally addictive to things.

I find that when I'm emotionally low and being hammered with clusters - or perhaps I'm emotionally low BECAUSE I'm being hammered with clusters - the pull to bust is MUCH stronger. Not just because I know it'll reduce the clusters, but I long for the escapism mushrooms bring. To have 6 hours disconnected from my body and absorbed by music, or colours or ... anything but pain and reality.

I'm currently experiencing a quiet time. All of my headaches seem to be behaving themselves, and I'd need two hands (at least) to count the days since my last cluster. And you know, I have no desire to bust. I don't need that bliss feeling. In fact, I've even declared January an alcohol free month, and haven't touched a drop this year.

MG

Glad to see others looking at addictive behaviors differently...

I have always thought it was that they were reacting to a natural instinctive response to their detecting "something is wrong"... trying to cure or compensate for some kind of problem/deficit, be it physical, mental, or social.