Sphenopalantine ganglion Botox injection tomorrow

robertr

I'm having the pain doc at Stanford inject Botox into my sphenopalantine ganglion tomorrow. I'm nervous and this doesn't seem common and there's little on the net about patient experiences. Btw, local anesthetic applied topically at the spg helps.

Thanks,

Robert

Sorry I don't know anything about Botox injections in the Sphenopalantine ganglion. It does sound hopeful to me though that the topical anesthetic at the SPG had some good effect.

The most closely related discussion I've seen here that I can recall at the moment is on the subject of the occipital facet Botox injections Dan/Hipshot received from a pain doc with some success:

https://www.clusterheadaches.com/cb/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1380388743/0

Best of luck to ya tomorrow robertr.

• 2 weeks later...
Pixie Elf,

Where do they inject the Botox? Like on your temples or up yer nose?

I actually get it all around my head, Like, my temples, around my ears, the back of my head, and in my neck. I still get hit but it's much milder, and it's something I can actually sleep through. Before the botox, I was waking up at 3:43am, every day with a screamer. Once my forehead froze and I became one of the alien people, that pretty much stopped and I sleep through the night.

I still wake up every once in a while with a hit, but for the most part, I don't notice it. If I'm awake and have it, I can abort it with an energy drink, or just flat out ignore it. Sometimes it's a bit worse. I've also used the 5-meo-DALT on top of it, and if I could remember to stay on top of dosing with it, it plus the botox would probably knock my hits out completely.

After my next shunt adjustment in April, or possibly once things settle down from it in May, I'll be testing out the DALT again to see how I do with it.

Edited to add: Also, I have Occipital Neuralgia, and Trigeminal Neuralgia. So this pretty much makes it all calm the fuck down.

I also always have a severe flare up anytime I get a upper respiratory infection. I've had one for a week now. No flare up. At this point, I'm just thankful something works until I can grow my own again.

• 2 weeks later...