2015 Clusterbuster Conference

Spotlight on our Conference Speakers:

Dr. Larry Schor Ph.D.

Dr. Schor is a Professor of Psychology at the University of West Georgia and a licensed psychotherapist.  He is a Licensed Professional Counselor and Certified Professional Counselor Supervisor in Georgia.  His research, teaching, and practice focus on the psychological effects and treatment of trauma.  He is particularly interested in states of consciousness associated with trauma and pain; especially alterations in consciousness associated with cluster headaches.  Dr. Schor will be presenting to the full conference as well as holding two closed group discussion sessions as he has done in the past.

Spotlight on our Conference Speakers:

Mr. Bill Mingus

Bill is a long time veteran of cluster headache.  He has been active in the online community and was a member of OUCH USA for many years.  Considered by many as an expert on the use of oxygen in the management of cluster headache, Bill will share his knowledge during our lunch session “Oxygen - Making It Work For You.  A Hands On Demonstration and Discussion.† This will be an opportunity to learn more about oxygen use including tips and tricks to optimize its effectiveness.

Spotlight on Our Conference Speakers:

Mitch Post

Mitchell D. Post is from Pittsburgh, PA and is a chronic cluster headache patient since 2009.  He is a citizen scientist and freelance researcher as well as a firefighter, avid climber, skier and mountain biker.  He will be discussing 5-MeO-DALT.

Bruce Sewick

Bruce’s interest in mental health started with his exploration of altered states of consciousness in the 70’s while an undergraduate at the University of Illinois (Chicago).  He received his Bachelor’s degree in Psychology in 1974, but due to a weak job market in the field, spent the next two decades in the transportation industry.  His last significant job in this industry was working for General Electric, which funded most of his graduate degree in Clinical Psychology from Roosevelt  University, from which he graduated in 1997.   At this point, he changed careers to the mental health and academic fields.  He is currently the Manager of Adult Mental Health at Leyden Family Service and Mental Health Center.  He is also adjunct faculty for Online Learning at the City Colleges of Chicago, Wright College, and the College of DuPage -where he teaches a class on the therapeutic use of Psychedelics.  He has been lecturing on Psychedelics since MAPS published his Master’s thesis “Psychedelic -assisted Psychotherapy for the Terminally Ill†in 1997.

Our Clusterbuster conference is only a couple weeks away!!

For those of you that aren't going but would like to say hello to the group, you have a chance.

Some of you have already sent us your videos but would like more and let more people participate.

We're looking for a short (under a minute is fine) hello. Content is up to you but we're looking for you to say hello, your name, where you're from (Country, state, city ??) if you have clusters or are a supporter, and just a little hello message. Maybe your whole family wants to say HI. If you just want to use your screen name, that's fine. Maybe both names ;-)

Your standard "vine" video is fine or a little longer is great. You can be funny or serious, before or after you've had your coffee.

We'd love to show the international group that we are, and see how many countries can be represented.
Say hello in Hungarian if you'd like. Especially if you are from Hungary :)

We'll be showing the videos during breaks and lunch and possibly at the President's Reception.

Everyone that sends one in can get a Clusterbusters wrist band and we will draw some names to get a conference tee-shirt.

Send them in to us at: conference@clusterbusters.org

Include your mailing address if you want a wrist band/shirt.

Try to keep them "cluster" family friendly. Please don't post them here before the conference. Let's keep them a surprise to those attending. We may make the entire loop of them available on our You Tube channel after the conference (unless you want yours out of the loop)

If you don't know how to shoot and send a video, find a teenager with a phone, have them take a short video and have them email it to you. Then forward it to us :D

We'd love to see you at the conference!!!

Bob

• Like 1

Dr. George Urban

Co-Director, Diamond Headache Clinic

"First visit is always stressful. I try to break down the barrier so the patient feels comfortable and reduces their stress level. I ask what their expectation is, and if it's a cure, I tell them right away, we don't do that. I tell them what they can have is a better life with reduced frequency and severity so they can get back to doing what they want.â€

Dr. Urban is a native of Presov, Czechoslovakia. He graduated from Safarik University Medical School in 1974, and from there, completed a residency and fellowship in Neurology at the Municipal Hospital, Kosice, Czechoslovakia. Dr. Urban came to the United States in 1985, first settling in San Francisco, and then moving to the Midwest to pursue a residency in Internal Medicine at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science in Chicago

He joined the staff of the Diamond Headache Clinic in 1990, and since has taken a strong interest in the treatment of headache with BOTOX® injections. He is currently on the staff of Saint Joseph Hospital and is a Clinical Instructor, Department of Medicine, at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, and a Lecturer, Department of Medicine (Neurology), Loyola University Chicago/Stritch School of Medicine.

He has lectured on various headache subjects throughout his career, and is actively conducting research at the clinic.

Mr. Tyler Mann:

Tyler Mann is a documentary filmmaker out of Austin, Texas, specializing in documentary work - but is also well-versed in fictional narrative style.  Born and raised in a small town in Oklahoma, just north of the Texas border, Tyler had dreams of making it into the film industry in Hollywood.  

Nearly ten years ago, an invisible and debilitating disease threatened to derail Tyler from seeing his dreams come to fruition. Suffering from sudden onsets of excruciatingly painful headache episodes, he researched, self-diagnosed and finally headed to the emergency room - where he was shocked to learn the doctor had never heard of cluster headaches. Since then, Tyler has been on a mission to bring awareness to the disease.

He has made his dream happen; he's in the film industry.  He shoots and directs TV shows and films. His work can be seen on A&E, TLC, The History Channel, Animal Planet, The BBC, Nat Geo, CNN and more.  

As a filmmaker, Tyler doesn't let the headaches define him.  He lives them every day - but it isn't who he is or how he wants to be known.

So now comes the hard part for Tyler; to tell the story of what it's like to wonder everyday when the next cluster will hit; what it's like to live in your bathroom, pounding anything from ice and oxygen to pharmaceuticals and mushrooms into your brain, just to make the pain go away. At some point you stop caring about life and all that matters at that moment is what will make the pain stop.

Though a seasoned television cinematographer, this is Tyler's first time directing a documentary feature. It's his chance to tell stories that can save lives.  Many Cluster Headache sufferers are dying.  They are looking for a solution, an outlet, a voice - and Tyler realized he has the ability to make a change and become that voice.

I wish I could attend the conference but I am unable to take the time off from work... I also wish Cluster Buster Organization would honor it's mission... to make sufferers of cluster aware of treatment, support, and research.  However, I find that the organization places most focus on experimental & illegal drug use.  I would have liked to be a presenter at this conference to bring awareness to the fact that successful, non-drug treatment & CURE is available and I am living proof it is effective.  My chronic cluster condition history & treatment/cure success is fully documented in this video link 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrUI3ekMo_U   It would be AWESOME if this video was shared at the conference so people suffering know there are more options for relief than drugs.  Anyone wanting more details on my treatment experience & success can contact me at any time: deborah.zale1@gmail.com  Best wishes for a good conference... and hope you provide members with ALL that can be done to help!  I am celebrating 1 year & 4 months of PAIN FREE LIVING - Yahoo!

Dr. Stewart Tepper:

Dr. Stewart J. Tepper, Director of Research for the Center for Headache and Pain, is Board-certified in Headache Medicine and Neurology. He was an Associate Clinical Professor of Neurology at Yale and Director of The New England Center for Headache in Stamford, Connecticut prior to joining the Cleveland Clinic in March of 2008.

After an MD from Cornell, he took his Neurology residency at Harvard. He is an Associate Editor for the journal Headache, and American Editor for the journal Headache Care. He is a professional reviewer for over 20 journals includingCephalalgia and Neurology, and has published over 200 peer-reviewed manuscripts, editorials, and books.  

He is Director of the Headache Therapy course for 2009 for the American Academy of Neurology and Co-Director of the autumn meeting of the American Headache Society (AHS), serves on the Education Committees of AHS and the International Headache Society (IHS), and belongs to multiple societies including AHS, IHS, American Academy of Neurology, and National Headache Foundation. He has participated in more than 200 clinical research studies.

He lectures nationally and internationally on all aspects of headache medicine. His interests are in patient care and education, with research in the causes of headaches, their treatments, and in patient outcomes.

Dr. Larry Robbins

• Dr. Robbins is a neurologist specializing in headache, with certificates in pain management and

psychopharmacology. He was Assistant Professor of Neurology at Rush Medical College from  1992-2011. He holds the title of Master Psychopharmacologist and Master Clinician through the

Neuroscience Education Institute.

• He is a Fellow of the American Headache Society, as well as a Fellow of the American  Association of Integrative Medicine.

• In every year from 2002-2014, Dr. Robbins has been named to the “America’s Top Doctorsâ€

list created by Castle Connolly and now published in U.S. News and World Report. Also, Dr.

Robbins is one of a select group of doctors within that list who are considered to be among the top 1% in the nation in his specialty. Chicago Magazine lists Dr. Robbins as one of the Top Doctors in Chicago.

• In 2008, the American Academy of Pain Management selected Dr. Robbins as the only recipient of the “Janet Travell Clinical Pain Management Award,†given to one physician per year.

• Dr. Robbins is the author of four books: 1) Management of Headache and Headache Medications, first and second edition. The book, written primarily for physicians, enjoyed much  critical acclaim; the second edition was one of the top selling books in its class; 2) Headache Help, with Susan Lang, is for the patient. Headache Help, one of the best-selling books on headache, was also out in two editions. 3) Headache 2013: A Comprehensive Guide to Headache  Treatment, Including Advanced Approaches for When Nothing Has Helped. This ebook, which

contains highlights of Dr. Robbins' extensive writings, is for doctors and patients. It is an overview of cutting-edge headache treatment and a definitive resource for headaches that are difficult to treat. Updates to the books are available through www.chicagoheadacheclinic.com. 4) New Book: Advanced Headache Therapy: Outpatient Strategies (2015).  For doctors and patients, this new book (published by Springer) focuses on refractory or “difficult to treat†headache patients.  Cutting edge treatments are presented for migraine and cluster headaches.  An extensive section is devoted to psychological conditions.  There is a major chapter on headaches in children and adolescents.  In-depth case studies are discussed.

• Dr. Robbins has written more than 250 articles and abstracts. His research ranges from  psychological aspects of headache to the immune system to advanced MRI studies in chronic

migraine patients.

• Dr. Robbins is involved in a great deal of headache research and lectures extensively. He  usually lectures on the management of chronic headache, as well as psychiatric conditions in

headache patients.

• Dr. Robbins started the section of the American Headache Society, “The Refractory Patient  What to do When Nothing is Working.â€

• In 1986, Dr. Robbins founded the Robbins Headache Clinic where he treats patients with  various types of headaches. Dr. Robbins, Nurse Practitioner Brooke Phenicie, NP-C, and the rest

of the clinic staff treat patients in a comprehensive manner. Each patient receives a good deal of  time and attention. Treatment is highly individualized and offers a wide range of options.

• The educational site, www.chicagoheadacheclinic.com, is edited by Dr. Robbins and his staff.   More than 15,000 visitors a month use the site for information on headaches. The site summarizes

the best headache articles of recent months, and has been doing so since 1999. The most popular

section is the blog, which is updated daily. The archives include more than 1100 blog posts.

• Dr. Robbins and Illinois House Representative Carol Sente’s efforts led to Governor Quinn’s

signing of HB 5431, the Mandatory Concussion Education for High School Coaches and Athletic

Directors, on August 19, 2014.

Our Conference Keynote Speaker:

Dr. Brian McGeeney

Dr. Brian E. McGeeney is a neurologist at Boston Medical Center and full time faculty (Assistant Professor of Neurology) at Boston University School of Medicine.  Dr. McGeeney is a Diplomat of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, with the added qualification of Pain Medicine.  Dr. McGeeney is also boarded by the American Board of Pain Medicine and holds the United Council on Neurologic Subspecialties board in Headache Medicine.  Dr. McGeeney will be the keynote speaker.

I am excited to be coming today :)  I will be driving from Louisville to Chicago after work and hopefully be there for the meet and greet tonight.  My cluster headaches have been horrible over the past week even with the radio frequency ablasion on my supra orbital nerves.  But without that, my pain would be at around an 8 or 9 level and I would be down for the count.  I am going to ask if there is some way to repair the surgical closure that is causing these headaches.  May God be with you all on your safe journey to the Conference or if you cannot make it, that you have a blessed and hopefully less painful day!

• 4 months later...