Sleep and Headache: The Biological Basis

ABSTRACT

Sleep and trigeminal pain processing share several common pathways with respect to neurotransmission and functions of distinct brain areas. In this review, the role of the most important brain stem and midbrain regions for this link is discussed. The central structure involved in both headache and sleep is the hypothalamus in which the orexinergic neurons originate. These neurons project to the periaqueductal grey and are probably the anatomic and physiological link between headache and sleep. Another relevant system for this interrelationship is the melatonin metabolism. However, basic research in this field is still very preliminary and a holistic hypothesis on how sleep physiology impacts headache and vice versa is still missing.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/123582457/abstract

shocked bobb  ;)

Interesting.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but I've always seen a clear link between sleep and headaches - the way it works for me - if I get too much stress and nowhere near enough sleep, then headaches will follow if I'm in cycle, regardless of "meds".

Assume this is probably the case for many of us...

Even when not in cycle.

I wake 1 hour after falling asleep, & like clockwork again at 2.45am.

Luckily I am able to Catnap through the day (when out of cycle) wouldn't be able to survive without doing so.

CArl...

Doesn't O2 abort for you and have you busted?

02 does work for me Jay.

No need to use it at the moment though...PF.

Still wake like a light bulb being switched on though.

1 hour after falling asleep, & again at 2.45am.

CArl...

Understand your clock is just reminding you that it's there. Have had similar periods over the years when I would wake up and know to the minute what time it was. Then look at the clock and freak out. There must be some connection. with these crazy clocks we have and a propensity for CH.

Ok, good to know.... Started to wonder if i was a little bit odd.... Because i still wake up at night, but no pain. Strange. During day, i also can tell what time it is, every third hour i just know, in a way.....  :)

But is it common to others, not feeling any "difference" to day and night? !! morning and 11 evening, it`s same same to me.

• 5 months later...