HIGH price of oxygen !

1 Last Song

I just recently got my new oxygen set up. I have 2 "M" tanks (Which cost me $50 each to get), a 'Clustermask", and a high flow regulator. The entire set-up cost just under $180. I thought, not too bad. But then ... I had several cluster attacks in 1 night, using an entire M tank and part of the second tank in just 1 night. When I called to ask about stopping by to get it refilled or exchanging for 2 full tanks, I was surprised to learn that it also cost $50 per a tank to refill them (Or exchange them, it doesn't matter).

If I can use up $50 a night in OXYGEN, how much is this going to cost me PER MONTH ?? THAT IS CRAZY !!

The sales people said that "Someone else with clusters" gets oxygen from them too and that their insurance pays for it  ?? Mine doesn't (Medicare) ?? WTH ??

"I can't afford oxygen" ... is just plain crazy !!

< RANT OVER >

Suggestions ??

1LS

Hey 1LS! That is crazy expensive! I think the key to getting insurance to cover it is getting a script from your doc. Here's some info I found about getting O2 covered by Medicare Part B...

Oxygen equipment & accessories

How often is it covered?

Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers the rental of oxygen equipment and accessories as durable medical equipment (DME) that your doctor prescribes for use in your home. If you own your own equipment, Medicare will help pay for oxygen contents and supplies for the delivery of oxygen when all of these conditions are met:

Your doctor says you have a severe lung disease or you’re not getting enough oxygen

Your health might improve with oxygen therapy

Your arterial blood gas level falls within a certain range

Other alternative measures have failed

Under the above conditions, Medicare helps pay for:

Systems for furnishing oxygen

Containers that store oxygen

Tubing and related supplies for the delivery of oxygen and oxygen contents

Medicare may also pay for a humidifier when it's used with your oxygen equipment.

Who's eligible?

All people with Part B are covered.

Hope this is of some help!

• Like 1

Great info there bhs. This is something that Headache On the Hill has been working on for about three years now - getting Medicare to pay for our O2. As the best abortive out there I would say that O2 is medically necessary. It is an uphill fight though. This is also the reason many use welding O2.

Thanks for the info :-)  I will call my doctor again on Monday. They did write an Rx for me to get what I have now. Plus, I do have a serious breathing problem (advanced COPD and 'Smokers Lung"). I know my arterial blood gas level dropped VERY low last February when I also got pneumonia and it landed me in ICU for 11 days. I've never been so sick. I should have oxygen and it should get paid for too, IMO.

I'll let you all know if I have any luck getting Medicare to pay for it.

1LS