Short Term Memory

mit12

Does Cluster headaches add to short term memory loss? I ask because I had multiple concussions over my racing career. The last one left me with short term memory loss. I ask this because after I busted with MM my short term memory seems better. I have been cluster free for 5 weeks now. Or is there any evidence that supports MM can help with short term memory loss?

Hi Mit12!

This piece doesn’t speak to your specific "memory" question.....However, the fact that psilocybin is creating new neural pathways in the brain makes it seem like not too much of a stretch to think that it might have some affect on memory as well.

http://www.businessinsider.com/magic-mushrooms-change-brain-connections-2014-10

Dallas Denny

I'm not able to confirm in general but yes it seems I've had problems spring '14 loosing short memory/memorizing in general after heavy LSD abuse. Heavy means REALY much...

Recovering nicely after a few month stopping using LSD in excess.

Unable to make this case a general one.

I had a 6.5 hour assessment at a university hospital. Their conclusion was that when my attacks stop my short term memory wont get worse.

They said it was from constant trauma to the brain.

I was extremely upset. And said lady there is no cure.........long pause on the phone.

"OH" she said.

End of conversation after a day at a hospital with 3 doctors, a video camera and hours of questions.

A lot of us Cluster Heads have short term memory loss. One of my old jobs I had required me to have an impeccable memory to do my job. I wouldn't last 2 min doing that job now.

• 2 weeks later...

When mankind where hunter/gatherers they also used small ammounts of MM because it sharpend sences. Benefits seeing animals to hunt, spores and plants to spot easier. I dont buy that old socieyties and peoples used them only for religion purposes because they didnt know no better. Its the opposit they knew already the healing / psychics / practical / theraputical/ religious benefits of these natural substances. They have been used as long as mankind walked the earth maby even before. There are known cases of animals chewing on plants containing LSA substances.

Man that'll be nice if MM is found to improve short term memory.

My short term has been crummy for a longggg time now, BUT, as I have posted in the past, the supplement phosphatidyl serine is known to improve the condition for some people and it does so significantly for me.

I've been on and off it several times over the past years and every time I go off I find a reversion to a definite, marked decrease in short term capabilities. In fact I tried going off for months over the past holidays and only went back on recently - I think it may be starting to kick back in now, but I'll try to blame having been off of it for some of the more pronounced lapses in my posts here over the past couple months. :D  

I don't believe it will work for everyone, as always it's a case of YMMV, but after finishing one bottle at 1 pill, 3x day, I think it should be possible for most people to tell if it's supplying a boost for them in the memory dept.

NOW-02381-0.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I suffer from cluster headaches and recently people have complained to me that I am suffering from short term memory loss.  It is becoming a real problem for me.  What worries me is whether or not I am suffering permanent damage to my brain as a result of CH.  Does anyone know what tests one would do to determine if there has been brain damage done to one's brain?

It's weird reading this post. Have been dealing with CH for 30 years now. Was pain free for three years and the first of the month they reared there ugly head again. Really thought I was out of the woods. Have gone through the whole gauntlet of prescription drugs and now only treat them when they come with imitrex tablets. Back to the point I have noticed that with this episode a huge increase in short term memory loss. Normally I joke I can set something down and turn around three times and it's gone. Seems like know one turn and it's gone.

....CH for 30 years now. Was pain free for three years and the first of the month they reared there ugly head again. Really thought I was out of the woods....

There would be a big load of nickels on the online forums if there was one for every time someone reported this sort of thing.

From what I've seen (and personally experienced), it is not uncommon at all for us episodics to start experiencing extended remissions after decades with CH. The lucky ones of us that is, it sure doesn't occur with everyone. When this occurs we also typically believe we're out of the woods, only to be disappointed when a cycle does eventually return.

If someone has a short cycle, like just a few weeks, I can see the reasoning for riding it out with imitrex (although most of us find partial dose injections to be a more effective and fast acting form of imitrex than tablets). Otherwise, I'm sure you'll see how much benefit the headbangers around here get from stuff like high flow 100% O2 for aborts, and busting and the D3 regimen for prevention.

Coyote,

What Jeebs said. You're making it too hard on yourself using just the imitrex tablets.  Get the sumatriptan injectors, then split up your doses.  Get oxygen. Start the D3 regimen (https://clusterbusters.org/forums/topic/1308-d3-regimen/). Down an energy shot or energy drink at the first sign of an attack.  (Tie a string around your finger so you remember this.)

Have O2 and it doesn't seem to help still use it time and again over the past 10 years. Have not tried the D3 yet. Had the injections in the beginning until insurance changed and lost my co pay. Back in the day I was splitting them. It was real easy in the beginning because it was an actual syringe. Do have different insurance now should see about getting it again. I remember quantities were also a problem. Wish I would have found this site years ago. It's one of those things you don't understand unless your there.

Thanks all!

The new sumatriptan injectors are harder to get open, but not that hard.  Plenty of online videos to show you how.  Yes, quantity and cost are still issues, but if you can get three quick aborts per injector, it's a lot less bad.

You gotta give your O2 the best chance of succeeding -- high flow rate (25 lpm or more), good mask, maybe an energy shot or some other likely abortive just as you get on the O2 . . . a lot of folks who weren't helped by more conventional setup are getting really good aborts with this one.

The D3 has a really high success rate, sometimes pretty quickly.  Please give it serious consideration.