PSILOCYBIN? Magic mushrooms? Do they work?

MikeXtreme75

I have been a clusterhead for over four years now. I get them during daylight savings time ritually and get approx 3-4 attacks a day for a two week period. My clusters are always April and October. However this year I am thinking due to unseasonably warm weather here in the north east.... My cycle has begun a few days ago now that the tempos changing. I am currently in sumatriptan and it works if I catch it. My question is has anyone heard of using PSILOCYBIN (active ingredient in recreational mushrooms) I have a friend that has done it and after 20 years is now cluster free for 2.5 years!!!!

I have never done recreational drugs but I am curious on everyone thoughts in this. Thank you. Feel better everyone. ðŸ™

hm, just coming, throwing in a question without even having had a closer look into the forums suggested treatment ...

I'm so sorry telling you: We don't do any drugs. If Sumatriptan helps, just be lucky having something that helps.

(ups, this time I was a real dumb answering in this way. not very polite I'm sorry)

Drugs?

This is of course an enormous big area of both confusion and success at once at the same time and must be seen/discussed in/from various perspectives.

Beside all the other post on your question I may mention the history of PSILOCYBIN goes back a few thousand years as for example one possible, effective treatment for headache.

• Like 1

magic mushrooms seem to help a lot of people with cluster headaches I don't know how to rephrase the last reply because it doesn't make any sense everybody who has cluster headaches and they have them has tried drugs to get rid of their cluster headaches whether they say they use drugs or not

drug

drəɡ/

noun

a medicine or other substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body.

"a new drug aimed at sufferers from Parkinson's disease"

synonyms: medicine, medication, medicament, pharmaceutical;

We're all about using psilocybin to treat CH here.  Read over in the ClusterBuster Files section, #s 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, (https://clusterbusters.org/forums/forum/6-clusterbuster-files/) then ask whatever questions you have.  You'll have to stop the triptan, though, and since your cycles are typically so short (can't really count on that continuing), it might or might not be worth it to you.

You definitely want to get OXYGEN, as soon as possible.  Read about it here.  This is crucial for managing your CH.

Also, consider the vitamin D3 regimen: https://clusterbusters.org/forums/topic/1308-d3-regimen/

And many people find that quickly drinking an energy shot or energy drink at the first sign of an attack can lessen or even abort an attck.

it would be worth your while to read the other posts on this website to find out what the different drugs cluster heads take to help them get rid of the headaches and or what they do if they don't get rid of your headaches.I am NOT an expert but have tried verapamil which gives me a headache (not cluster) imitrex or sumatriptan which causes rebound headaches for me every over the counter pain medication which Causes reboundheadaches and sore stomach kidneys and liver I am currently taking oxygen to help subside my headaches before they get so bad that I can't deal with them seems to help me a great deal and am also taking magic mushrooms which I don't really know whether they work well work a little bit or not at all for me please read the other post some people are much more in depth with how these medications work and whether they worked for these people are not

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Glad to see you received that reply with the condensed details from CHfather - I agree with all he has said. 

The next time you're expecting a cycle or suspect one could be starting up I believe there's a good chance some preventive psilo could actually knock it out.

Meanwhile if it is the injectable form of sumatriptan you are using, I'm notorious for always wanting to check to see if new members here are aware of how to stretch the doses and conserve supply, plus lessen side effect risk.

Does anyone know the dosage of mushrooms that one needs to take to try and get rid of these cluster headaches, I am at wits end and will try anything at this point.  I have been suffering for 3 years now first was being treated for migraines but couldn't understand how you hear people in bed for days when I cant even lie down.  I am now on the injectable which has been a life saver and has probably saved me taking my life, but when you see people can actually get rid of them all together, that's what I WANT.  I get them every day and have for 3 years, I might go a day or 2 without, but that is it, I am on preventatives but they don't seem to work I sometimes think they give them to me lol.  If anyone knows the dosage please respond.  Thank you

Thank you Tucker, good articule.  Not sure it will be very easy to find spores around here, so it will be finding someone who has mushrooms to sell for now and were talking the street kind.  I am desperate to try anything.  Does one have to do this once a week for a bit or every couple of days, or just once or play it by ear?  Any ideas on that

Suzz, there's a lot you need to know.  I'm going to cover a few core things and refer you to reading that you really have to do before you start busting.

I assume the "injectable" you're talking about is Imitrex (sumatriptan).  If you're going to use mushrooms or anything else, you have to stop taking the Imitrex for five days before you take the busting substance, and during the time you're busting.  Depending on what your preventive is, you might have to stop taking that, too.  So you need something to deal with the attacks during that time. You don't mention having oxygen, which is absolutely critical for anyone with CH.  Read this: https://clusterbusters.org/oxygen-information/    Many people also get a lot of relief from the Vitamin D3 regimen.  Read this: https://clusterbusters.org/forums/topic/1308-d3-regimen/  There are other things that often help people reduce or abort attacks: energy shots/drinks; melatonin.  If you decide to go ahead with this, we'll tell you more about them (well, the energy shot/drink thing is easy -- just down a cold one at the first sign of an attack. strong coffee works for some people, too.)

Then, you need to read the numbered files over in the ClusterBuster Files section of the board (same place as where the D3 file is).  You'll learn there about the general process (every five days), and you'll see that there are other substances you can use that don't require you to grow shrooms. Many people have good results with LSA -- generally from rivea corymbosa seeds.  There's another substance that is like psilocybin but generally legal in most places in the US. It's 5-MEO-Dalt.  You can read about it at this thread: https://clusterbusters.org/forums/topic/3918-5-meo-dalt/?hl=5-meo

You have had a heck of a rough ride with your chronic CH.  Busting works.  But it's more than just taking some mushrooms.  We're here to help you.

• Like 1

What a wonderful advice from CHfather, oxygen certainly is the best tool for you to start climbing from that evil hole. If your injectable is a triptan (Imitrex or similar) that may also be the cause or at least contributing factor for your 3 year suffering. While triptans still continue to work as an abortative, they have a nasty tendency of keeping the pain cycle ongoing, even causing additional attacks and/or intensifying the ones already happening. Lots of people contribute changing from episodic to chronic to continuous triptan use. And the O2 (oxygen) usually starts to work more efficiently when detoxing from triptans. Wishing you all the best.

You are correct, that is the injectable I am on.  I am starting to think I am getting rebound headaches with this but it does take the pain away, but I keep getting them back and back again.   Ohhh that is scary to think I have to be off medication for 5 days before I can even try any busting.  I don't remember the last day I didn't have a CH, I have been getting 2 to 5 a day and the worst pain, so to think of not being able to take anything, not sure I could do it, scary thought!!!  My doctor has talked to me about oxygen but hasn't done anything about it as of yet, she is a neurologist and I have been seeing her for past 2 years prior to that was just GP thinking I was getting migraines, prior to that they thought I had hemi carnia continua now diagnosed with cluster headaches and I fit all the criteria for them.   I have had ct scans MRI and of course nothing shows.  Waiting now for another MRI for pituitary gland see if anything shows up there. I was thinking I could just do some shrooms and be fixed sighhhh... I just wish they knew what caused them so they could fix the problem, I don't like taking all these drugs, right now I have a drug plan and yesterday I go not even a months supply of injections and it was 1928. thank god for a drug plan!!!  There has to be something else but these drug companies are making millions.  I am living in Canada  so I guess I need to sit back and read some more and know it wont be happening so fast

Suzz: treating attacks with oxygen is just as effective as treating them with injections. I would never ever advice to use both, when you get O2 start detoxing from injections. O2 will be more efficient alone and does not have risks for keeping the pain cycle on like injections do. Way too often people who have been on injections (or other form of triptans) for a long time try oxygen and give it up too fast (if triptans are "weakening" it's effectiveness). It's a project but in the end you are able to abort at least as efficiently if not more so than with injections. And how much better you will feel will make all the difference in the world.

Well thank you Tony, I will have to get another appointment to see my Doctor and get with the program.  The sooner I can be rid of these headaches the happier I will be.  I am so happy I came upon this sight today.  My son showed me a video a few months back about mushrooms for cluster headaches but I kind of dismissed it but last little while I have been checking things out some more and trying to find out as much as I can.  This site has been very helpful and I will be back.  I am on 2 preventatives, not sure of of the names off the top of my head right now, but I have seen the list of them and have been on most of them to no avail.  I'm not much of a pill popper either so not easy taking pills either.  One thing I thought was really weird, I went to Las Vegas in November and I brought 2 injections for everyday I was there, knowing I would be staying up late, drinking and carrying on, but you know something, I never got ONE CH, not one hangover, NOTHING. that blew my mind, I was back a day, and they started again.  They say they pipe in oxygen there, maybe they do!!!

You've got it covered, Suzz. GET OXYGEN.  Insist!  Do the D3.  Try the energy shots/energy drinks.  Melatonin at night (start with 6-9 mg and work up. Some people get up to 20 before it's effective).  If you get O2 and any of those things help you, you'll feel 100% more comfortable about detoxing from the trex.  I assume that one of your preventives is verapamil or another calcium channel blocker, but I can't imagine what the other might be (not a steroid, I hope).  Interesting that you were being treated for hemicrania continua. You took indomethacin and it didn't work?  It seems like that should have been about a one-week trial . . . If indomethacin doesn't work, it's not HC, which makes it almost certainly CH.

You can get rivea corymbosa seeds in Canada legally and possess them legally.  Consuming them is the only unlawful part.  I think you can also get 5-MEO-Dalt in Canada, but I have not been keeping up with that legal situation.  You're really not all that far from busting.

Suzz, make sure you study the information we have here on O2, and see if it coincides with what the doctors regimen is

"Ours works" I understand the fear of getting off the imitrex, I have been there, make the O2 regimen here a "priority"

very very important. There are also other options for oxygen other than the doctor if you can't get what you need. We will help you.

Hi Suzz, sorry you're a CH'er, but glad to see the good advice you're getting from everyone here.

The HIGH FLOW 100% O2 does tend to be the main thing that will enable you to detox from imitrex while still being able to abort attacks, and then voilà! you'll be ready to bust with mushrooms or other busting agent in a jiffy.  :)

The neurologist will likely prescribe the O2 not pure or strong enough, but fortunately there is a long tradition now of headbangers stepping up and advising others how to administer the O2 effectively.

Thanks so much you guys, this has been the most painful experience in my life, this last week the worst. It is like I am forever taking Imitrex and it is NOT lasting very long, I am not getting any sleep, I lay my head down for any length of time and it starts all over again, driving me crazy, so I have to sit up, rub right side of my temple and right above my eyebrow, pressing in as hard as I can to try and stop the pain, sometimes it works but most time it doesn't.  I have a pretty high pain tolerance but this takes the cake.  I read somewhere on here someone calling it the BEAST, last night was the first time that I actually got that, it was like the BEAST was back again for about the 8th time that day/night, hence no sleep and I am at work today, have been fighting it all day, finally had to go take an injection or I wouldn't be here typing this nor at work.  What the doctor has me on right now is the Imitrex and TOPIRAMATE AND VALPROCIC ACID, she did have me on that other one but there is something with my heart I guess that she took me off it, so I wasn't on it for long.  My Dr. is now thinking I am doing too much Imitrex which I think I am too, but I don't have a choice at the moment, cause I cant handle the pain, and I am waiting to get into see her so I can get the oxygen,  and I am bring all this stuff from this site about oxygen and mushrooms so she can see this stuff as well as will get her to watch that video about mushrooms and cluster headaches then see what she has to say.  But you know drug companys, they like to promote drugs, they make big bucks.  Any way, has anyone ever gone to those Oxy bars>  I was going to go to one tonight, just to see if it does anything in the meantime otherwise only way to get oxygen is go to hospital which will be 6 to 10 hour ordeal. 

CHfather - she did have me on verapamil but that was the one she took me off of.........and I was o a steroid for a short time, and I do have to say, with that I did go a day or two with NO cluster headaches, but I don't remember last time I haven't had one, I guess that would be when I was in Las Vegas, that is why I do think oxygen does work, but I know when I got at hospital last time, it was still only short lasting. Then I was being treated for Migraine, but those medications didn't seem to work, and what was intereting, I couldn't figure out, how people with migraines, could lie down in their bed for days at a time, and I couldn't not lie down, the was the light bulb moment, when she looked at me and said, WHY, I said because the pain is so much worse, I get agitated, want to rock, cry, just about scream, whatever it takes to get me thru, sad really.... She grabbed her book, and I have not one or two symptoms of CH, I have them all, which blew her away. So here we are, I never heard much about it from anyone, heard about migraines they are bad enough, so did more digging and that's how I found you wonderful people, nice to know I am not alone! Sometimes wish I was so nobody else had to suffer!

Don't wait another hour to get the oxygen, don't wait for the next doctor's visit. Get it know, asap, every triptan (imitrex) used to abort is too much in your situation and will either keep it bad or make it worse. When you start aborting hits with oxygen you can take your next step. It may take a while for oxygen to build up efficiency, in other words when your body keeps on detoxing from triptans, oxygen will work better and better.

Oxybar might be fun but won't help in clusters. CH attack also has little to nothing to do with saturation how oxybar's sell their idea. To treat an attack you need high-flow oxygen like CHfather advised. Meaning a lot fo oxygen delivered into your body, fast. It's measured as litres per minute (lpm). Usually in clusters we need 15 lpm or more. Sufficient oxygen treatment at home will change your life.

• Like 1

What Tony says.  Oxygen will change your life, and make other steps manageable.  If your doctor won't give it to you, you can do what lots of people do and create a system using welding oxygen.  If you want to consider that, we can advise you.

Would you mind looking at the labels on your preventives and telling us what they are?  Maybe that information will not be useful -- but maybe it will.

Also, have you started the D3 regimen, and are you trying melatonin, and what about energy drinks?

• Like 1

I must say I did learn something yesterday, first I am happy to say, I GOT MY OXYGEN!!!  woohoo!!!,,,,,,,I got 100%,,,, 12 L,,,,,,,,and  started out with Non rebreather mask, until they delivered to my door..........First they were going to have me take everything home for the advanced air place, but I didn't feel comfortable having oxygen in my car, so they said they would deliverer.  They went over everything with me at the office, put mask on for 2 seconds, I noticed it had a bag on it, but basically got the mask part to fix, so had it on for 10 seconds with the oxygen going., bag wasn't opening which I never thought anything of.  So he delivers to my door with a different mask telling me that the regulator on this tank (and the tank I have is the biggest one, should last a week at least if using twice a day at 15 minute intervals)., is not the right one for that much flow of oxygen as I would get too much CO2 so gave me different mask and said they would order right regulator.  Interesting how they were going to send me home with it,,,,,til I said I didn't feel comfortable taking it home!!...So please make sure you have correct regulator on your tank as well, not sure if these guys are stupid or what. 

First experience with Oxygen it was 12:30 last when it hit,,,,,,so thought well, might as well try the oxygen, and if I wake up in the middle of the night I would  do the Imitrex, did oxygen for 15 minutes, still feeling some pain, turned it off, sat on my bed, rubbing my temple some and finally just lied down and figured if I had to I would get up and do injection in middle of night if I woke up, cause don't want to fool around with o2 in middle of night half asleep, but I didn't, I SLEPT all night, first time in forever, was so awesome!!!!  I have the BEST DR.  She watched the National Geographic you tube with me, about CH and mushrooms, I showed her this site, told her info from this site, and she will do whatever we need to get me CH free.  Got me the O2 in one days, and exactly the strength, everything, like I said she is awesome!!!