Aurobindo (generic Sumatriptan used by Kaiser) Issues?

jules

I just picked up my prescription from Kaiser of Sumatriptan and find that it is not working. At all.  Including an attack where I took medication very early. This generic is Aurobindo and I am not familiar with it.  Anyone having trouble with this?

These are pills? (I can't see that Aurobindo, which is a company based in India, makes any sumatriptan meds besides pills, but my search has been far from exhaustive.)  If so, it just could be because pills hardly work for CH anyway.  But maybe you have had success with pills in the past -- or maybe this wasn't pills that you're taking.

FWIW, here's someone else saying that Aurobindo trex is ineffective for them:  https://www.reddit.com/r/migraine/comments/3i9ds9/sumatriptan_generics_do_you_notice_any_difference/

Thanks for your reply -- it's possible it is the Aurobindo which is definitely in pill form. For years, Imitrex in pill form worked very well for me, including many of the generic versions.  I suspected this one wasn't working based on a limited use but the kaiser folks think it might be a) rebound headaches because i'm using Imitrex too much cause i'm getting more headaches; B) that I'm getting more headaches because I'm trying to lose weight so I cut back radically on sugar.  if you change something in your diet, like cutting way back on sugar and add something in like artificial sweeteners that it can throw you off balance.  I did a little research and it turns out my Torani sugar free syrup that I've been using rather freely contains Sucrolose and guess what, it's a trigger. So I'm using a bit of honey, stopping any artificial sweetener and I'm trying a relative of Imitrex.  BTW, they also had me try Effexor which apparently works to prevent migraines though the primary purpose is to help people with anxiety and depression.  It was a fiasco since even half a dose made me very dizzy and sleepy and I got to cluster attacks that day.  So as of now, I'll back off the Aurobindo to be on the safe side, avoid artificial sweeteners and hope to get back to my normal thing of 2-3 cluster headaches per month rather than 1/day which has been hellish.  I'll check the reference and thanks!

I hope you have found the answers to your increased activity, jules, and will soon have it under control.  Thanks for that info about Sucralose (Splenda) -- so many hidden triggers, though this does not seem from what I've just googled to be a trigger for everyone (but what is?).  When you say your "normal thing" is 2-3 clusters per month, do you mean every month, or just when you're in cycle?  Either way, it's not a CH pattern I'm familiar with.  When you say you're "trying a relative of Imitrex," do you mind saying what that is?  Zolmitriptan,maybe?  Do you know why oxygen hasn't been prescribed to you (maybe the infrequency of your previous attacks and the fact that you felt you controlled them well with the sumatriptan tablets)?  I'm surprised about the Effexor, which is an SNRI, if you were also doing a triptan, since, as one source says, """It is very important that patients not combine a triptan drug with an SSRI or SNRI drug. Serotonin syndrome is most likely to occur when starting or increasing the dose of a triptan or antidepressant drug. Symptoms include restlessness, hallucinations, rapid heartbeat, tremors, increased body temperature, diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting. You should seek immediate medical care if you have these symptoms."""