Taurine to stop onset of Cluster Headache

dsordway

I'd like to report some success with Taurine supplements in hopes that it may help others who suffer from clusters. Upon the immediate start of a cluster onset, I have had great success with a dose of Taurine to stop the cluster from "taking control of my head". As long as I hit it immediately when I feel the first sign, I have been able to terminate the headache from hitting full force! With the first twinge in the back of my neck, I take 2000 MG of Taurine, Adding a strong dose of caffeine can also help, but is not always necessary.

As long as you hit it immediately, the Taurine can terminate the onset!

I hope this helps some of you, as it's been a great help for me.......

dsordway,

Welcome to the board.  What you report is actually one of the parallel abortives many of us take along with our 100% high flow Oxygen (O2).  Instead of a pill, try drinking an energy drink.  Red Bull, Monster and many others have both Caffeine and Taurine among their main ingredients, that have proven to have a significant positive impact on individual attacks.

:)

J

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
3 hours ago, Shaun brearley said:

Energy drink work well buddy doesn't it . I never knew about it till I found this forum . Plus a good strong black coffee works for me !!! I

Just wondering how many drinks in a day is too many lol

have had 2 473ml drinks today and at the moment battling another attack contemplating having another drink

9 hours ago, Acanderson34 said:

I have been chugging half a monster energy drink before hitting oxygen and the aborts are going fairly well. Pain scale starts at

8-9/10 and decreases to 3-4 within 10-15 minutes and then subsides all together.

.....workmates used to think of me as a cat....he jumps up and runs out of a room suddenly and seemingly w/o reason. had to, if i didn't hit the O2 as soon as a hit felt an abort was much less likely to work..... and the longer the delay the worse the chances. golly, i hope it doesn't ramp up that quickly to 8+ for you...anything that high defied abort with anything but a triptan for me, and even then....

....an energy drink on the way improved effectiveness/speed dramatically. "Wired"  WAS my drink of choice....16 oz. with 344 mg caffeine and 3200 taurine, used half a can (8 oz) at a time, the equivalent of a full can other brands. i still cannot understand the success of energy drinks....as far as i'm concerned, along with cranberries, is testament to the marketing abilities of the food industry. w/o CH i would never touch these disgusting drinks....and all that sugar to cover up the gaaaaaack...

....was with delight i discovered the 2 oz 5-hr energy types. no sugar (note if you are sucralose sensitive, i had to avoid aspartame), minimal taste, way portable, easily downed, equivalent components. brand name quality found at grocery outlet stores for $1 or less ea...

...never more than 1 can Wired or 2 2 oz for me in a day out of an abundance of caution. my neuro did not approve of taurine..."too neurologically active and we don't know enough about"...it worked so i did anyway...

Edited by jon019
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jon019 said:

.....workmates used to think of me as a cat....he jumps up and runs out of a room suddenly and seemingly w/o reason. had to, if i didn't hit the O2 as soon as a hit felt an abort was much less likely to work..... and the longer the delay the worse the chances. golly, i hope it doesn't ramp up that quickly to 8+ for you...anything that high defied abort with anything but a triptan for me, and even then....

....an energy drink on the way improved effectiveness/speed dramatically. "Wired"  WAS my drink of choice....16 oz. with 344 mg caffeine and 3200 taurine, used half a can (8 oz) at a time, the equivalent of a full can other brands. i still cannot understand the success of energy drinks....as far as i'm concerned, along with cranberries, is testament to the marketing abilities of the food industry. w/o CH i would never touch these disgusting drinks....and all that sugar to cover up the gaaaaaack...

....was with delight i discovered the 2 oz 5-hr energy types. no sugar (note if you are sucralose sensitive, i had to avoid aspartame), minimal taste, way portable, easily downed, equivalent components. brand name quality found at grocery outlet stores for $1 or less ea...

...never more than 1 can Wired or 2 2 oz for me in a day out of an abundance of caution. my neuro did not approve of taurine..."too neurologically active and we don't know enough about"...it worked so i did anyway...

Thx Jon for the input. I’m not a huge fan of energy drinks myself but we all know when we’re at our wits end we’ll do whatever it takes.

I’ll try and find the 5hr shots. The “monster” energy drinks I’m buying right now are sugar free with i belive 145mg caffeine and 2000mg taurine.

• Like 2

Just plain coffee has a more caffeine per ounce than a standard Monster drink. V-8 energy drinks (preferred by spiny) have about the same caffeine as a standard Monster.  As far as I can tell, those V-8 energy drinks have no taurine.   Some people find the energy drinks/shots yuckier than just coffee.  If you think taurine is valuable (many do), you can take taurine pills along with the coffee.

As jon' notes, there are huge variations in how much caffeine an "energy drink" or "energy shot" contains.  In your 473ml (16 oz) Monster (if it's a standard one), you are getting 160mg of caffeine. An eight-ounce Starbucks Pike Place roast will also give you about 160mg of caffeine. (Coffee roasts also vary a lot.)  So you are getting a lot of additional stuff in a standard Monster to account for the 16 ounces.  A 2-ounce 5-Hour Energy has about 200mg of caffeine.  You can see a thorough listing of caffeine content here: https://www.caffeineinformer.com/the-caffeine-database

Like jon', I am puzzled that your pain level is so high when you are starting out on the O2, and I'm glad you're having success with the O2.

• Like 1

...thanks for the caffeine content link @CHfather.....read your labels for any food...but especially for those we use as "medicine"....and Google is great....

...early in my CH career...even before the Bull that is Red (that's how old i am)....2-3 tablespoons of coffee grounds in an 8 oz cup of water, boiled 2 mins in microwave...allowed to sit for grounds to (mostly) settle....1 min to reheat....and strain the hot mix thru teeth was fairly effective. when energy drinks came out i figured i was as lucky as any clusterhead could be..no more of THAT noise. premade didn't work since it HAD TO be hot/hotter/hottest. with energy drinks, the colder/faster downed the better....

For the past many years, one cup of coffee for me in the morning. Any other caffeine I drink is for my head. During bumpy weather times, I make cold brewed coffee and keep it in the fridge. Other times, I am all over the V-8 Energy!!! There is always some of that in the fridge too. When traveling, I keep caffeine pills in my car. Those are 200mg of caffeine. 

It's all about what works for you!!! :)

• Like 4

I do the monster with painkillers because the caffeine and taurine helps, can drink it far quicker than a cup of coffee and the caffeine does helps speed along/increases effectiveness of most painkillers, there is a reason it is an active ingredient in tylenol for example.

As to how many, I tend to 3 a day, but only the 0 sugar, no need to chug hundreds of calories a day.

Taurine was discovered like mid 70's as becessary for cats to live. Its in raw meat and cats were veing fed dry cat food and dying young. They studied it n figured it out. Added taurine and cats live longer. Cat food is also hi protein. The john hopkins ketogenic diet is strictly controlled hi protein, hi fats, and very lo fluid intake. It works to slow stop intractable seizures. So if taurine helps your cha? U mite want to consider adding hi protein... there seems to be a link somehow w cha and seizures. If taurine helps u?  Seizure meds might maybe help u also...

cat food is uaed to slo stop seizures in - dogs. I had a doberman, jill, who used to fet running seizures. A friend told me abt cat fd? I thot she was nutz. I remeber staring at her. She thot i didnt believe her, it was just so extraneous i cldnt take it in. She went n got dome cat foid n said, here. Feed it to her. I pried open her mouth.  Pushed a few down her throat.  Did it few times, she was going into deep seizure w locked jaws. Then she began eating the cat food. Dogs will eat as much as they need to? To stop the seizure and then dogs just stop eating it and seizure is gone. Just info.... for u to think on... from an ex ucdenver med school student.

In my house? I always keep a bowl of cat foid as well as bowl dog fd and water.