Oxygen from home concentrator vs bottle .

john2000

Hi, 

I would need help to figure something out in regards to oxygen.

I have 10L/m flow big home concentrator. WHen i use it ,it helps to get headache down really quickly after about 10min of use.AFter 30min the pain is almost gone or manegable.

I also have portable oxygen bottles filled by medical supply company with regulator up to 15L/m.

When im away from home and I use portable oxygen , it doest work at all for pain . Even at 15l/m. I feel the oxygen flowing ,but

the effects are basically none.I use the same mask inside and outside.

With concentrator it helps 100% of the time. I used concentrator about 20 times.

With portable it dosent work at all. I tried portable 4 times . 

With portable, bottle get really cold, could this have  some kind of effect ,  breathing cold oxygen?

I breathe portable in my car with summer temperature outside.

Thanks for any help

There's no logical explanation for this difference except that something is wrong with your portable cylinder, or the regulator or maybe with the mask at higher flows.  I am pretty certain that your tanks shouldn't be getting really cold when you use them.  If anything, your aborting experience should be the other way around: excellent or very good relief from pure O2 at 15 lpm and practically no relief at 10lpm from a concentrator.  (The relief you are getting from the concentrator is poor, but I'm glad that at least you are getting something.) 

Call your O2 supplier.  Maybe someone else will show up here with a much better response than mine.  That happens all the time, but I'm less confident of that than I normally would be because so many of the real experts are at the conference in Texas right now.  Is your mask a non-rebreather mask?  If you don't know, ask the O2 supplier when you call them.

There's no logical explanation for this difference except that something is wrong with your portable cylinder, or the regulator or maybe with the mask at higher flows.  I am pretty certain that your tanks shouldn't be getting really cold when you use them.  If anything, your aborting experience should be the other way around: excellent or very good relief from pure O2 at 15 lpm and practically no relief at 10lpm from a concentrator.  (The relief you are getting from the concentrator is poor, but I'm glad that at least you are getting something.) 

Call your O2 supplier.  Maybe someone else will show up here with a much better response than mine.  That happens all the time, but I'm less confident of that than I normally would be because so many of the real experts are at the conference in Texas right now.  Is your mask a non-rebreather mask?  If you don't know, ask the O2 supplier when you call them.

Its a non-rebreather mask. The very same I use at home and in the car. 

I have multiple cylinders that are getting  refiled and changed.

The regulator seems fine , as i can calculate how quicly the bottle should be emply based on the flow set on regulator.

I can also hear the flow rate changing from 10 to 15  or 12 to 15.

The bottles are really cold close to the top ,besically freezing cold. Less cold at the bottom.

I may try to use longer hose in my car.  I use only 6' long hose in my car. At home it is 25' long.  Maybe the oxygen will get warmer using 25' long hose.

John, in case you didn't see my reply to your generally excellent post at another thread here, I want to be sure you know this: the O2 supplier should NOT be giving you (or anyone) a concentrator for home use.  They should be giving large oxygen cylinders (M, H, or MM size).  Cylinders contain 100% oxygen; concentrators provide about 92% oxygen.  There is a big difference in effectiveness.  Your aborts using the concentrator are taking at least twice as long as they should. (I knowthat your situation regarding effectiveness is presently kind of bizarre, but I have never seen another person report better results from a concentrator than from tanks, and there has to be an explanation for that related to the equipment.

John,

I have to agree with CHfather. I use a 60cf welding oxygen bottle with a 25lpm medical regulator. My regulator does not get cold nor does the top of my bottle. I am not trying to argue but I would make sure that your supplier is infact giving you100% 02.

John, in case you didn't see my reply to your generally excellent post at another thread here, I want to be sure you know this: the O2 supplier should NOT be giving you (or anyone) a concentrator for home use.  They should be giving large oxygen cylinders (M, H, or MM size).  Cylinders contain 100% oxygen; concentrators provide about 92% oxygen.  There is a big difference in effectiveness.  Your aborts using the concentrator are taking at least twice as long as they should. (I knowthat your situation regarding effectiveness is presently kind of bizarre, but I have never seen another person report better results from a concentrator than from tanks, and there has to be an explanation for that related to the equipment.

Thanks for your reply, You really help a lot of people 

I have about  7 E-size cylinders.   Thats 680L.   

I dont understand the reason for concentrator being better either.

I agree that i takes longer that i would like to have my attack aborted, but I was kind of happy with 10min effectiveness,compered with what i had to go thru without oxygen. 

I may just try a different company , I agree that it is rather bizarre how it works. 

I will try next time oxygen botttle at home instead of a concentrator at 15L.

Maybe its the home environment that makes me more comfortable, because I really feel  ashamed and uncomfortable  when I'm on a job, people see me in me car  breathing oxygen and then i have to explain this to my customers. 

Could you tell me if you think its ok , to have a bottle and aa concentrator connected with a splitter  to get more oxygen. 10L concentrator=8L actual output and 5-10 L from the bottle . I'm just scared that i will run out, or forget to close the bottle. No worries if a concentrator is running all night . So i kind of like the 680L bottles if they however worked properly. 

John,

I have to agree with CHfather. I use a 60cf welding oxygen bottle with a 25lpm medical regulator. My regulator does not get cold nor does the top of my bottle. I am not trying to argue but I would make sure that your supplier is infact giving you100% 02.

Thanks, 

With 60cf , i would need to fill it after every attack , because i have a tendency to fall asleep from exhaustion between the attacks, then  have my oxygen running by mistake.   Not with my mask on , but i my room on the floor.  By the time i wake up , I could imagine the bottle would be empty. With 7 smaller cylinders  I would feel more comfortable.