Oxygen Mask question

john2000

You breath out through the mask. The mask has check valves that let you blow out without filling the inlet line.

Take deep breaths almost hyperventilating is the most used technique. I have found that deep breaths almost hyperventilating at 25lpm for a few minutes and than Reducing the LPM to 8lpm and taking a deep breath and holding it for the time it takes the bag to refil exhale and repete works best for me. Keep trying different breathing Techniques until you find what works best for you. Good luck.

You breath out through the mask. The mask has check valves that let you blow out without filling the inlet line.

Take deep breaths almost hyperventilating is the most used technique. I have found that deep breaths almost hyperventilating at 25lpm for a few minutes and than Reducing the LPM to 8lpm and taking a deep breath and holding it for the time it takes the bag to refil exhale and repete works best for me. Keep trying different breathing Techniques until you find what works best for you. Good luck.

I tried breath out through the mask ,but it takes a lot of effort.  I'm sure its is set up  properly  as breathing in is very easy and the bag fills out  as it should.

Before I was using a wrong type of  non-breathable mask with 2 holes with flaps  that made breathing out effortless.

With this new mask , breathing into the mask , takes so much effort for me ,that it is impossible to hyperventilate.

If I take a deep breath which empty the bag, it will take for me about 2-3 seconds to push the air out through the mask , 

The flap at the outlet opens out when i breath out, but probably not as much , as i would need, as I feel that it limits the amount of air that it can pass through.

When I dont take deep breaths, it's little bit easier to breath out,but with a deep breath a fill like pushing the air out  with a lot of effort. My mask stays tight to my face at all time.

How difficult is it for you to breath out? I think it should be as easy as breathing in .

Thanks,

I don't have this mask, but it has always looked to me like you have to take it off to breathe out, though I'm certain that Mit' knows what he's talking about.  In any event, it won't do you any harm to take it off to breathe out, as long as you don't inhale any room air, and you might try using the tube and not the mask, which some people prefer.  If you had flaps/gaskets on both of the holes in your previous mask, it was okay to use it as you were using it. Most of them have one gasket and a bunch of open holes on the other, and that's the problem with letting room air in.  ClusterO2 Kit should be more comfortable, give you a tighter seal, and hold more O2 in the bag.

• Like 1

I think you have the mask on the wrong end? you should be able to breath out easy.

I have this mask.    http://www.clusterheadaches.com/ccp8/media/ecom/prodlg/ClusterO2-full.jpg

It's set up properly as on a picture with yellow sings showing the proper flow and flap that opens when you breath out is right where the arrow points "T" .

I think the problem is that when you breath in a full bag, all that air  has to come out through the same size hole ,but its covered with a flap,which opens only partially when you breath out . This flap sits more tight then flaps on a standard masks . I think it would work better to have a bigger outlet hole or double outlet hole.

What kind of mask do you use?

thanks 

I don't have this mask, but it has always looked to me like you have to take it off to breathe out, though I'm certain that Mit' knows what he's talking about.  In any event, it won't do you any harm to take it off to breathe out, as long as you don't inhale any room air, and you might try using the tube and not the mask, which some people prefer.  If you had flaps/gaskets on both of the holes in your previous mask, it was okay to use it as you were using it. Most of them have one gasket and a bunch of open holes on the other, and that's the problem with letting room air in.  ClusterO2 Kit should be more comfortable, give you a tighter seal, and hold more O2 in the bag.

Could you tell what kind of mask do you have?

I really feel better to have my mask on all the time when pain starts. 

This mask gives me a really tight fit because it is rigid. 

The previous mask had only 1L bag, wasn'f fitting tightly , not good, the standard mask I was given with oxygen bottle.  What's worse, medical company that supplies my oxygen  gave me even one without a bag with one open flap . That wasn't working at all.  Then by mistake they gave me one more mask with a bag and covered holes. The technician who knew I had cluster headaches, said to remove the bag ,claiming i did not need it . I never removed it and I have realized after a first attack how much better  it was working.

It it wasn't for this forum , I would have never found out and given  up on oxygen . Even on youtube, many documents about CH show people with standard open hole masks. 

Thank you.

john2000,

I wrote "I" above to keep things relatively simple, but it's actually my daughter who has CH.  She uses a demand valve system that we got on Ebay, which has a sweet mask that she has to remove to exhale.  Before that, she had the predecessor of the ClusterO2 Kit, the O2ptimask, but she used only the breathing tube.

(A demand valve system has a button on it that you press when you're inhaling, and then no more oxygen flows until you press the button again. No bag; always O2 at the ready.)

John2000

I went and tried breathing with my mask and it is real easy to breath in and easy to breath out. I think you might have a problem with the check valves not working correct.

Breathing in with my mask is very easy. But breathing out is difficult if i keep it tight to my face . I feel like I have to really work hard to push the air from my lungs . The reason is , that the only why the air can escape when breathing out is thru the outlet hole that has a flap on it.  The flap itself is not 100% flexible ,which is of course done to prevent air getting into the mask as i breath in from the bag. I looked in the mirror and i could see the flap opening only partially on 2 sides ,maybe only 20% of the outlet pipe is open when breathing out  due to the flap sitting rather tight and lack of flexibility.  I could just as well remove the flap and  control the outlet hole with my finger , but it just takes too much effort when in pain. 

I tried to look up a mask that you said you were using , but i didnt find any pictures of it with that name .

Could you post a link to a mask or upload a picture , especially the detail of a outlet?

Right now I  use the new mask to stop the attack and its really working great,but i loosen it up when breathing out,  but later when pain starts to disappear i put on my old mask with a strap and just breath slowly for 10-15 min more. 

thank you .

john2000,

I wrote "I" above to keep things relatively simple, but it's actually my daughter who has CH.  She uses a demand valve system that we got on Ebay, which has a sweet mask that she has to remove to exhale.  Before that, she had the predecessor of the ClusterO2 Kit, the O2ptimask, but she used only the breathing tube.

(A demand valve system has a button on it that you press when you're inhaling, and then no more oxygen flows until you press the button again. No bag; always O2 at the ready.)

I thought that demand valve works automatically and gives you oxygen as you breath in automatically and then stops by it self when breathing out.

I hope your daughter is doing better,she is lucky to have you , it is just unbelievable how many posts you 've had far and how many people you and others helped. I started a vitamin D reg. and the frequency is down by 70% ,maybe its just my cycle ending which started 30days ago or its really working.

thanks.

Thanks for your kind words.  This group made a big difference for her.

The evidence for D3 is strong enough that you have to figure it's making a difference.

I've never seen a demand valve mask that supplies oxygen by recognizing when you are inhaling and when you have stopped -- but there's probably a whole lot I haven't seen.  In her case, there's a button she holds down while inhaling.

Thanks for your kind words.  This group made a big difference for her.

The evidence for D3 is strong enough that you have to figure it's making a difference.

I've never seen a demand valve mask that supplies oxygen by recognizing when you are inhaling and when you have stopped -- but there's probably a whole lot I haven't seen.  In her case, there's a button she holds down while inhaling.

A true demand valve supplies o2 automatically as the user inhales. Kinda why it's called a demand valve...it supplies gas....on demand. Most also have the button as well. I would assume that a button only valve would be more of a resuscitation unit.....

As the the OP's question about difficulty exhaling with a cluster mask...that usually happens with one that's been used a while and needs cleaning. If it's new...it could have a defective valve....be assembled incorrectly or the valve is stuck as a dirty one might be. Hard to say without examination. If it's defective DJ would undoubtedlydo what's needed to solve the problem.

• Like 1

As the the OP's question about difficulty exhaling with a cluster mask...that usually happens with one that's been used a while and needs cleaning. If it's new...it could have a defective valve....be assembled incorrectly or the valve is stuck as a dirty one might be. Hard to say without examination. If it's defective DJ would undoubtedlydo what's needed to solve the problem.

Hi, It's a brand new mask. Its assembled correctly ,its pretty easy system , no obstructions ,the outlet valve is clean open and has a flap at the end,which opens ,but only partially when breathing out. What does DJ stands for ?

Hi, It's a brand new mask. Its assembled correctly ,its pretty easy system , no obstructions ,the outlet valve is clean open and has a flap at the end,which opens ,but only partially when breathing out. What does DJ stands for ?

I'm sorry....DJ.....the man behind the website that sold you the mask.....unless you assembled the parts and pieces yourself. ;)

I mentioned assembly errors just because it can happen.....Hell I did it once and I've put countless masks together.

• 2 years later...
On 9/28/2016 at 8:26 PM, john2000 said:

I have this mask.    http://www.clusterheadaches.com/ccp8/media/ecom/prodlg/ClusterO2-full.jpg

It's set up properly as on a picture with yellow sings showing the proper flow and flap that opens when you breath out is right where the arrow points "T" .

I think the problem is that when you breath in a full bag, all that air  has to come out through the same size hole ,but its covered with a flap,which opens only partially when you breath out . This flap sits more tight then flaps on a standard masks . I think it would work better to have a bigger outlet hole or double outlet hole.

What kind of mask do you use?

thanks 

I have the same issue and came here to ask the same question.  When I breathe out, the air comes out around the seal of mask.  If I hold the mark on tightly, it finds a way usually over the top of my nose where the mask doesn't fit my nose exactly.  

On 10/1/2016 at 1:40 AM, john2000 said:

Mine is similar but does not have the knob or outlet or whatever that is above the T-value.  Just smooth up there.  Could that be where air can come out that I don't have?

IMG_20190403_155748.jpg

IMG_20190403_155816.jpg

• Thanks 1

does the bag fill with air and you can inhale fresh oxygen from the large reservoir bag?

What would happen if you take just the face mask off of your setup and blow into the end of the T valve? Would that little flap on the other end of it open to let your exhale out? If not I think maybe that little flap might be stuck shut and needs to be looked into. 

If you let the oxygen fill the bag to the max without having it against your face you should feel the oxygen leaking out, if you block it from leaking into the face mask it should all go out on the other end with the rubber gasket end. 

Just a few things to look at. The are kind of basic but when you are getting hit with a bunch of headaches a day sometimes you just need a little help.. I have been there many times. 

On 9/28/2016 at 1:20 PM, CHfather said:

I don't have this mask, but it has always looked to me like you have to take it off to breathe out, though I'm certain that Mit' knows what he's talking about.  In any event, it won't do you any harm to take it off to breathe out, as long as you don't inhale any room air.

I'm, having the same issue as person this was directed to, but if I take off the mask to breathe out, it wastes a lot of oxygen, and releases the pressure in the bag. 

FunTimes, If I don't have the oxygen on and the bag is not full of oxygen either and blow in to it, air does come out the outlet value but still have to use pressure, so when the oxygen is on, the oxygen is flowing toward my face and then there is even more pressure.  Just is uncomfortable but..the value seems to be working but takes some effort to blow out.  Definitely doesn't come out with a relaxed breathing or even slight effort, so when I breathe out hard, it does come out over the top of my nose. 

I also have to mouth breath to get enough pressure and I've read that one should breathe oxygen through their nose, mouth breathing isn't good. 

I found some you tube videos on using this mask which are helpful.   I think I may use the mouth piece instead of mask and blow out through my nose as this user even though I've read to breathe oxygen through the nose, that might be for long term use.  There is also a video that follows it about this mask too.  This forum would not let me post video but it easily found on you tube with cluster bluster mask put in search.

I can not breath in or out of my nose during a attack but under a normal situation with a setting lower then the 25lpm I would be able to breath through my nose and have the valve work with little effort. I typically have the O2 running up at 15 to 25 and will inhale  with the mask on take it away and exhale fast when the bag is full. After the pain starts to go away I then lower the O2 rate and breath with the mask on and the valve will give a little resistance but when I am not exhaling as hard and fast it works out fine with my timing.