Aborting with o2 properly - please help!!!!

MikeinPA

Hi All, I am 2 weeks into my cycle, and finally got the o2, which was not easy as the insurance company was not cooperating. anyhoo... I now have my M60 tank @ 15lpm. 

I am trying to get down the method for taking the o2.  The non-rebreather mask does not seem to work so well for me, but I may be doing it wrong.

I felt like breathing normally in the mask, did not give me full o2, but a mix of expelled air and o2 mixed.  My method was to fill the bag (hold finger on valve), then breath in deeply (via mouth), remove mask and exhale, then repeat. After about 8 minutes or so, my lips and face would start to tingle- this did not give me a good feeling.

Ultimately using this process, I would get the beast to retreat after ~15mins, but the tingling face cannot be good, and I am wondering if I am messing up my o2/co2 levels in the process?  I'm actually nervous to use the o2 again because of this feeling. 

Should I be leaving the mask on, and doing much shallower breaths? I feel like I am emptying the bag and then waiting for it to fill again, at 15lpm. 

I am aware of the clusterO2 kit  but not sure if that is my current issue, and using the o2 again has me very weary. 

Please offer any suggestions or tips, thanks in advance!!

Mike

Mike,

The tingly feeling is normal for some people at different O2 saturation levels.  Myself I feel a little buzzy, but again it's normal.  

What myself and many others find help the most for O2:

1)  Get on the O2 as soon as you feel the attack coming.  Don't wait for the pain to start.  Get on it, when you feel the bad feeling it's coming.  O2 early significantly helps reduce the length of the attack.  I use to be able to stop my attacks after about 5 minutes.

2)  Always stay on the O2 for about 5 minutes after the attack stops.  If you come off the O2 too quickly, the same attack can come back.

3) Sounds like you have a non rebreather mask.  If you have a group of holes on the mask that don't have a valve (disk) to stop air from coming back in.  Put tape over it.  That'll prevent regular air from coming back in.

4)  Cut the strap off and hold the mask to your face.  No need to remove it between breaths.  Keep it on your face.  Cutting the straps off, prevents a dangerous condition that you could pass out after the attack, with the mask still on your face.  Breathing 100% O2 for an extended time (sleeping), can damage your lungs.  Removing the strap allows it to fall away from your face if you pass out.

5)  Try completely exhaling all the air from your lungs, then completely fill your lungs as quickly as you can at the start.  maybe the first 5 minutes.  The goal being to increase your O2 saturation as quickly as possible.  Once your O2 saturation is elevated, then you can go to just breathing normally (as normally as we can during an attack).

Hope this helps...  

J

Mike, some additional thoughts:

I'm not sure what this means: >>My method was to fill the bag (hold finger on valve) . . . <<

Are you quickly drinking an energy shot (such as 5-Hour Energy), or at least some strong coffee, as you get on the O2?  That speeds up aborts for many people.

Try holding the air in your lungs for a few moments after you have inhaled, before exhaling.

I don't personally see any issue with you removing the mask to exhale, as long as you don't bring in any room air as you inhale.

The doctor who first developed O2 therapy suggests to his patients that they should look down toward their feet as they do the breathing.

If you are doing the O2 right (this relates to my first question here) and you are waiting for the bag to fill before you can inhale, you need a higher-flow regulator (as many/most people do).  In the short run, you can create what many call a "redneck reservoir" by replacing the current reservoir bag on your mask with an unscented garbage bag or turkey roasting bag.

Gents, thanks for the replies, it's greatly appreciated. You both (along with many other members here) are a true lifeline for those of us who are trying to make heads or tails out of this journey. No pun intended, I swear.  :D

So to reply to J-

I am starting to catch it much sooner, I need to learn to hit the mask sooner, even if it just feels like a shadow getting darker. 5 minute aborts sounds wonderful.  I have learned that I need to stay on after the hit goes away, I learned that saturday night- 4 hits, all about 30 minutes after the last was "gone". Lesson learned!

I do have a non-rebreather mask, it has holes on both sides with a rubber disc/gasket that appears to not let in outside air when inhaling.  I have removed the strap and agree it's definitely for the better. 

I was removing the mask in between breaths only to press the valve and ensure its closed, so the bag fills as quickly as possible. I also found myself squeezing the bag to help force in the o2, but it seems like I need a larger bag or a higher flow rate, I am using 15lpm.  I ordered a 25lpm regulator, and of course it's not the right one for my tank, I should have looked closer.  -_-

I will try deeper breaths to maximize my o2 intake, thanks for the suggestion.

Mike, some additional thoughts:

I'm not sure what this means: >>My method was to fill the bag (hold finger on valve) . . . <<

I would hold the valve down, so the bag filled immediately with no chance of any o2 leaking out while filling.

Are you quickly drinking an energy shot (such as 5-Hour Energy), or at least some strong coffee, as you get on the O2?  That speeds up aborts for many people.

My daily hits are now coming right around bedtime, 10pm.. I was chugging redbull, and it was definitely working, but would leave me a bit wired for the rest of the night, so I thought I could try just o2, but I as others have said; I'd rather be wide awake at midnight and pf rather than in CH hell. 

Try holding the air in your lungs for a few moments after you have inhaled, before exhaling.

I will try that, to see if it helps absorb it more, and also the looking down method.

I don't personally see any issue with you removing the mask to exhale, as long as you don't bring in any room air as you inhale.

The doctor who first developed O2 therapy suggests to his patients that they should look down toward their feet as they do the breathing.

If you are doing the O2 right (this relates to my first question here) and you are waiting for the bag to fill before you can inhale, you need a higher-flow regulator (as many/most people do).  In the short run, you can create what many call a "redneck reservoir" by replacing the current reservoir bag on your mask with an unscented garbage bag or turkey roasting bag.

I may just try that, a redneck reservoir... I feel like my lungs are just begging for more, when that bag is empty.  I will also look around for a 25lpm regulator for my M60 tank- I see I need a 540 style.  (if anyone needs the 870, lmk)

So, thanks again for the replies! 

Mike

Mike,

I do not know if there is a correct breathing technique that is perfect for everyone, I think you should experiment with different techniques until you find what works best for you. I have found that taking fast deep breaths exhaling hard for about 1 minute with my regulator set at 25lpm then I reduce the regulator to 10lpm and take a deep breath and hold it until the bag fills exhale hard and repeat untl the hit has passed is what works best for me. I use the clusterbusters non rebreather mask. Good luck.

• Like 1

The web site if pretty non specific about what you are getting.  The mouthpiece/valve configuration looks a bit like a demand valve.  Would be nice to know how many cubic feet of oxygen are stored in the 22 oz container, how the valve works and how it compares to a non rebreather and whether it is FAA approved.  It is marketed as a boost for work out recovery, altitude sickness treatment ,  something to sharpen focus and a hangover treatment.  The research section seems to extrapolate a bit and seems to take liberties with the studies focus.   That said if it is FAA approved it might be a good thing for those of us who fear flying.  Certainly an expensive alternative to folks who need a lot of O2.  You can get very small tanks from medical O2 providers that are good for 20 min at 15 LPM.  A couple fit nicely in saddlebags.