What triggers cycle?

john2000

Hi,

I was wondering what triggers cycles in general ?

How are the cycles happening almost at the same time for each individual .( I have them march-may,,,,sep-oct....jan)

Are the triggers the same for every person?

Has anybody been lucky to skip a cycle or two? (some use Vit D regiment ,anything else?

Thank you,

Hey John

I've never isolated an individual trigger for the start of a cycle....my cycles usually begin between May and August, last 12 to 20 weeks, and are followed by a 12 to 18 month remission.

I've been busting both as an abortive (in cycle) and a preventative for 7 years.....so far I've not been able to prevent a cycle nor have I been successful in completely aborting one BUT, my cycles are easier to deal with.

Many report season and altitude changes as triggers.

As to the D3 regimen, I know many folks who've had great success with it. I just recently had my levels checked...it came back at 19 ng/ml which is crazy low (normal parameters are 30 to 120 ng/ml, and it tales a level of around 80 ng/ml to impact ch for most folks.

If you're not using it, piping rock seems to be a good, cheap resource for all of the co factors......I'll be using them next time as I spent close to $150 for a 2 mo supply at CVS and gnc....the K2 was $21/mo by itself!

Dallas Denny

Hi John

See this...............

https://clusterbusters.org/forums/topic/4568-triggers/

Thanks, 

But I'm interested more about actual mechanism  or biology behind it.  

For example if we take cinamon and lack of sleep as triggers.

Both are completely different, yet they may be the  same trigger for a same person. 

What's going on in human body , that such different, seemingly not connected triggers can start a cycle ?

John, I would imagine that I'm not adding anything new to say that it has long been assumed that there is some disorder in the hypothalamus related to cycles in CH patients, because the hypothalamus -- specifically the suprachiasmatic nucleus of the hypothalamus, the "biological clock" -- responds to the environmental changes of days and seasons, such as amount of daylight.  Some have described CH as a "chronobiological" condition. The "triggers" that will begin a cycle (or even bring on individual attacks) may be presently outside of the control of people with CH (although of course many have found that the D3 regimen, preventive busting, and preventive meds can somehow keep that chronobiological effect from resulting in attacks).  The fact that melatonin and cortisol get out of whack when CH cycles begin is considered further evidence of a hypothalamus/pineal gland connection, since release of those chemicals is based on the biological clock.  Imaging studies of people with CH show "abnormal brain connectivity" in the hypotalhamus during cycles.

Practically everyone with CH has some "why?" question about that explanation -- e.g., why do I sometimes skip cycles even if I'm not doing anything preventive? -- but the evidence is still pretty strong, in my opinion.

My doctor said that CH are caused by swelling of T.....(something i've forgotten the name ) ,,,nerve behind eye. 

It is not known why it swells and causing pain .

I'm not sure if I have remembered it correctly at the doctor's,  but if it is true about that nerve,,so then biological clock and hypothalamus are somehow causing the swelling of that nerve?

Is it possible to have CH diagnoses without that nerve being affected?