The best place on earth to be?

MattBE

Hi, I'm new to the forum. 6 years ago doctors said to me I have chronic CH. I've been fighting the beast ever since.

I'm wondering, because weather and seasons do affect our hyppocampus and thus our CH, what the best location would be for all of us to live.

I'm ready to move, are you ?  

...very interesting question...I've heard of folks getting hit "harder" in different locations than home...or the opposite...but

that might just be disruption in schedule...which was always a trigger for me....

...I doubt there is a "best" place...and even if there was...I like where I am...I just coped...most clusterheads do

Best

Jon

I'm interested in this as well! My husband has been having an extremely rough time with all of the weather changes here in DC. We've toyed around with the idea of finding someplace with a more stable climate, but haven't really thought seriously about it. Would love any insight.

The link between low pressure changes or just pressure changes in general has never been proven.  Most non headache suffering health care providers state it does not exist.  Most of us who experience CH or migraines know that it does.  Predicting frequency and intensity knowing the pressure is going to rapidly change is not really reproducible.   In the end I don't think changing locales will help that much because you might eliminate a trigger but the condition still exists and hits will occur.  When I researched this myself the migraine community had a list of "best places" to live

20 Major U.S. Cities with the Least Barometric Variation (days per year of >= .20 changes)

1. Honolulu (0 days per year)
  2. Miami (4)
  3. San Diego (7)
  4. Los Angeles (7)
  5. Tampa (11)
  6. San Jose (14)
  7. Sacramento (18)
  8. San Francisco (18)
  9. Phoenix (22)
  10. New Orleans (22)
  11. Jacksonville (22)
  12. Birmingham (29)
  13. Houston (29)
  14. Atlanta (37)
  15. San Antonio (37)
  16. Austin (37)
  17. Memphis (44)
  18. Las Vegas (47)
  19. Little Rock (48)
  20. Charleston, SC (48)

Not surprisingly, it is the southern cities which have the fewest days of variation.  The “worst†list reinforces this theme:

20 U.S. Cities with the Most Barometric Variation (days per year of >= .20 changes)

1. Augusta, Maine (128 days per year)
  2. Rapid City, SD (127)
  3. Montpelier, VT (117)
  4. Bismarck, ND (117)
  5. Boston (116)
  6. Colorado Springs (113)
  7. Denver (110)
  8. Billings, MT (109)
  9. Providence (109)
  10. New Haven (105)
  11. Cheyenne (105)
  12. Anchorage (104)
  13. Detroit (102)
  14. New York City (99)
  15. Buffalo (98)
  16. Minneapolis (98)
  17. Omaha (94)
  18. Chicago (91)
  19. Philadelphia (90)
  20. Baltimore (87)

At the U.S. State Level, here is the complete list:

1. Hawaii (0)
  2. Florida (14)
  3. California (18)
  4. Alabama (27)
  5. Louisiana (27)
  6. Mississippi (28)
  7. Arizona (33)
  8. Georgia (35)
  9. Texas (45)
  10. Tennessee (46)
  11. Arkansas (46)
  12. South Carolina (48)
  13. Nevada (59)
  14. North Carolina (60)
  15. Oregon (61)
  16. Kentucky (62)
  17. Missouri (68)
  18. New Mexico (72)
  19. West Virginia (73)
  20. Oklahoma (73)
  21. Washington (75)
  22. Illinois (78)
  23. Virginia (78)
  24. Indiana (80)
  25. Utah (81)
  26. Ohio (82)
  27. Kansas (84)
  28. Maryland (85)
  29. Iowa (85)
  30. Idaho (86)
  31. Pennsylvania (89)
  32. Delaware (89)
  33. Wisconsin (92)
  34. New Jersey (96)
  35. Colorado (99)
  36. Michigan (101)
  37. Minnesota (101)
  38. Alaska (101)
  39. New York (102)
  40. Nebraska (103)
  41. Connecticut (106)
  42. Rhode Island (107)
  43. Wyoming (107)
  44. Montana (108)
  45. Massachusetts (111)
  46. Vermont (112)
  47. New Hampshire (115)
  48. South Dakota (119)
  49. North Dakota (120)
  50. Maine (127)

Source:https://www.securevideo.com/blog/2013/10/07/avoiding-migraines-resulting-from-changes-in-barometric-pressure/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know for certain my CH was worse in San Fran and NYC.  But I moved to Dallas for a few years and the duration of my cycle was shorter and the severity (number of 10s was less)  I have been in FLA for 20 years and both the frequency and severity is the best I have experienced in the US...its also the most south I have lived....just my experience.

• 10 months later...

thanks for the replies, sorry took so long to awnser. There's a big media case of CH in Belgium . His name is Peter Ketelslegers, you can find a lot of his case online. I've included a link about him moving to a warmer climate, normaly you can auto-translate it. It's worth it a tought.

https://www.hln.be/regio/turnhout/man-met-clusterhoofdpijn-kan-eindelijk-naar-warmer-klimaat~a94c7cbc/

Matt

• 1 month later...

This is interesting. I've been keeping things under control with MM for a few years but this winter in the UK, specifically this last 3-4 weeks I've been getting hit a couple of times a day - the weather and pressure changes are quite severe. I live in the north west in the Peaks.

I've been thinking very seriously about moving somewhere closer to the equator to reduce the huge differential in daylight hours during winter v summer. I spent a few months in South America a few years back from beginning of Jan to June - I didn't suffer at all. That was after a fairly serious attack in the October before, so I would usually expect to get hit the other side of Christmas.

Does this resonate with others?

There was a gentleman around in the fledgling days of Clusterbusters who believed that the closer to the equator you lived, the better your head would be. If memory serves he moved south though I can't remember where other than he left the US. I've never tested the theory so I offer no opinion.

...the southest I ever been was mid-California....still got hit like a nail under a hammer.....Holly the dog was most compassionate. Old song: "if ya can't be with the one you love...love the one you're with". CH or not...I live where I Iove....aint movin'...nope......

...neither high nor low pressure seemed to make a difference for me....what did was RAPID change in either direction. I live in the rainy NW...noticed that it was always sunny on the way to the O2 shop after a rainy spell...low to high...blam!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2016-11-27 at 3:26 AM, MattBE said:

Hi, I'm new to the forum. 6 years ago doctors said to me I have chronic CH. I've been fighting the beast ever since.

I'm wondering, because weather and seasons do affect our hyppocampus and thus our CH, what the best location would be for all of us to live.

I'm ready to move, are you ?  

Hi I’m new to the group. I was diagnosed almost 14 yrs ago. I live in Alberta Canada and have struggled. A year ago we spent the winter in Palm Springs and was cluster free for 41/2 months. Went home to Canada and first day back and the attacks started up and did not stop till  l left.  Once returning to Palm Springs I went migraine and cluster free once again. It has been 3 mons now. 

That has been my experience. Wish I could find a place in Canada which would give me the same quality of life. 

Not sure if it is being at sea level or desert or what. But seems to work

• 3 months later...

I agree that the change in weather and pressure is a trigger 100%. My clusters ALWAYS happen during tumultuous weather, whether it's July and thunderstorms or November and broody or February and cold and sunny or Spring when the temperature increases rapidly. I have never had an attack during consistently "normal" weather. I've thought about moving too! California sounds great. Toronto has crazy weather fluctuations.