Newbie can't find medical o2 supplier

Rush

Hi all, I have been a regular "spectator" on this site for some time, but just recently joined. I am 58 years old, and have been getting CH's since my early twenties.

I am nearing the end of my fall cycle, but can not locate a supplier for oxygen. I live in Orlando FL. I used to get it from a sleep disorder company who has gone out of business. I spent the last two days on the phone and google and it seems the large tanks that I used to get are next to impossible to find.

I see my neurologist this Friday, but it is looking like a prescription for o2 will be useless. If there is anyone on here that lives in central Florida I would be REALLY appreciate any info on a supplier. At this point I am going to have to look into the welding o2 (wife has not been keen on the idea)...

I did recently start Batch's <(spelling)  Mag/cal/d3 regimen on Nov 26 so I am hoping It will help for next bout.

This site has helped me get through some tough times, it's how I first found out about the oxygen some years back, and just reading about others helps you mentally, because it seems like NOBODY has a clue about what cluster heads go through.

So if anyone does have info on o2 in Orlando area PLEASE drop me a line.

PF wishes to all!!!!

Just called them after reading your post, (at least they sounded like they new what CH's were)... they told me even though I had DME prescription, that I would have to go through a DME (durable medical equipment) company ??? said they can't sell to the public. I am beginning to think this may be more of an issue with Florida law after speaking with her.

Thanks for the reply, atleast now I can look into DME companies.. But if she was talking about medical supply companies that was a dead end.. every one that I called only had the portable cylinders

Take Care!!!!

I'm not an expert, and this is mystifying to me -- how can you be "the public" they can't sell to if you have a prescription? 

Our great moderator, ThatHurtsMyHead, lives in Florida.  He'll probably see this and have some helpful information if it's a state law issue.  You can PM him from here: https://clusterbusters.org/forums/user/20384-thathurtsmyhead/

I'm not an expert, and this is mystifying to me -- how can you be "the public" they can't sell to if you have a prescription? 

Our great moderator, ThatHurtsMyHead, lives in Florida.  He'll probably see this and have some helpful information if it's a state law issue.  You can PM him from here: https://clusterbusters.org/forums/user/20384-thathurtsmyhead/

10-4 on the mystifying... seems like 7 years ago it was easy, 3 years ago it started to get tough, now I am hitting a brick wall.. the ones that actually have them won't sell direct.

Man if I could give them one of my nightly session I bet I would have some oxygen !!!

Contact your local visiting nurse association or equivalent.  Airgas is basically a distributor and generally doesn't do "retail" on medical gases.  You cn find a local O2 provider by calling a local hospital and asking to speak with a discharge planner.  They should know all the ins and outs of oxygen especially cially in Florida which is littered with chronic lung patients needing O2.  Also any pulmonary medicine group should have a friendly nurse who can point you in the right direction 

Rush

Any welding supply can rent you an oxygen cylinder. You can purchase or rent one from Airgas. Remember if they ask you are doinf burning and welding.

I think my wife's concerns about welding o2 is starting to ease after some of the posts she read on here. I am going to keep my appoint with the Neurologist Friday just in case I can find a source for the medical, if not then I am going to take the welding approach.

Contact your local visiting nurse association or equivalent.  Airgas is basically a distributor and generally doesn't do "retail" on medical gases.  You cn find a local O2 provider by calling a local hospital and asking to speak with a discharge planner.  They should know all the ins and outs of oxygen especially cially in Florida which is littered with chronic lung patients needing O2.  Also any pulmonary medicine group should have a friendly nurse who can point you in the right direction

I just book marked the Visiting Nurse Association of Florida, I had no knowledge of these and will look into it this afternoon, Lord knows it can't hurt :/

Thanks!!

• Like 1

>>>Pebblesthecorgi, on 06 Dec 2016 - 9:14 PM, said:

Airgas is basically a distributor and generally doesn't do "retail" on medical gases.<<<

Thank you for this clarification!  We get our welding O2 from their industrial outlets, and the Airgas medical facility is practically next door, so I had imagined one could get medical O2 there. 

And thank you for the overall smart and helpful post above.

I think my wife's concerns about welding o2 is starting to ease after some of the posts she read on here. I am going to keep my appoint with the Neurologist Friday just in case I can find a source for the medical, if not then I am going to take the welding approach.

Rush if your wife still has concerns about welding 02 share these links with her. The biggest difference is medical tanks requirements for filling is a visual "inspection" and sniff test. I have never read of anyone having any issues.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/ucm124716.htm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F_wZrK0EyZ0&sns=em

• Like 1

Rush if your wife still has concerns about welding 02 share these links with her. The biggest difference is medical tanks requirements for filling is a visual "inspection" and sniff test. I have never read of anyone having any issues.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/ucm124716.htm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F_wZrK0EyZ0&sns=em

Ahhh good info, going to send these to her now..

I got to admit that I have been hesitant in the past myself, but with no better understanding than this world has with CH's they don't give you much choice...

Thanks very much for the ammo/info

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In Florida getting medical O2 is a real pain and if you get it it is very expensive. Buy a cylinder and a regulator from a welding supply and get if refilled whenever you need it.  Do not tell them you are going to inhale it, you will only invite problems. Just let them assume you are taking up welding.