New Member Question: Possible O2 Toxicity?

nen

Hi Everyone,

I recently turned 30 and after two years with no headaches, I began to experience my reoccuring episodic symptoms of CH and began a new bout about two weeks ago.  Historically, my bouts only last two or three weeks, during which I will experience 1 to 10 CH a day/night. 

I am on no medication and my neurologist has percribed O2, which I have bedside.  Last night I began an O2 treatment and breathed in heavily at 8 Liters Per Minute for 25-30 minutes, which was longer than planned, but when relief finally comes, it's difficult to stop. 

After I stopped the O2, I experienced a burning sensation in my nasal passage when I breathed in my nose, and a stinging sensation in my head and upper throat when I breathed in my mouth.  This seemed to retrigger the CH and I found myself struggling to breath without pain, while increading CH pain initiated.  I went back to the O2, because I couldn't take the knife in my left eye and the spreading pain.  My wife was on the verge of taking me to the ER, when the CH finally seemed to settle down after I stood up and moved around a little. 

I wanted to write and ask the group if anyone has experienced anything similar where they perhaps overused the O2 to negative effects.  Any insight would be appreciated.   

I'm interested in stories in which members feel changing certain behaviors or foods have extended the gaps between CH, or even eliminated them.

-Nen

Hi Nen.  O2 doesn't typically have that effect on people and you are at a fairly low dose.  While there are people on this site that can help, these non-psychoactive questions may get more play at the sister site, clusterheadaches.com. 

There are good oxygen side effect threads over there. Was your oxygen clean and from a good source??  That's my only thought on why it would give that sensation.  I sucked oxygen for hours, for years as a former navy pilot.  There's a career navy pilot on the other site that had way more than me.  Go read his stuff.

There are also some food experiences on the other site that may be of interest.  Caffeine, melatonin, ginger, kudzu all seem to help or abort.

So to emphasize (my opinion only, and I belong to both sites), I would stay here for all things busting, and go to the other for the more diet oriented and pharmaceutical.  I think both sites are essential to really counter-attack the cluster pain! >:(

--Shaggy ;)

Hi Nen, and Welcome! 

I'm glad you found us, but sorry that you had the need.

First off, 8 lpm is not a high enough flow rate on the oxygen.  You need at least 15 lpm flow rate.  See the little "Menu" tab on the upper left hand side of this page?  Mouse over it, and click on "CH.com Oxygen Page."  You will find all the info you need there on how to use oxygen for CH.  You can print up the info if you want and take it to your doc.  Most doctors are woefully inadequate at diagnosing and treating CH. 

I do not think that you can "overuse" oxygen.  The only side effect that I know of is that you can get a dry throat from sucking a lot without a humidifier or 'bubbler', especially when using welder's o2 which is what many of us use. 

As Shaggy says, check out both sites and take from them what you can use, and leave the rest.  This site is primarily dedicated to busting.  The best thing going on with you is that you are on no meds.  That is a prerequisite to busting.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

alley

One other idea, maybe

Are you using a new mask?  (hopefully a non-rebreather)

I've had a similar raw-type feeling after using a new mask, might be the plastic/rubber smell??

If so, take the mask assembly apart fully and try washing everything in warm soap water and rinse well.  Dry thoroughly, as you don't want junk growing inside the bag later.

FG