The Jesus Shot

Dallas Denny

Anyone have any recent updates / luck on this? Aside from the latest post (maybe from Dr Rick's office???), there doesn't seem be an update on this for years.  Is the shot a scam or real? And if real why is it not more widely used?  My neurologist wrote it off as a scam but then again...if it legitimately worked for some why?  I did contact the Dr's office and they seem to be short / rude / give no information beyond showing up and paying the $300 so there is reason to be skeptical... 

I have no recent updates, I just know that a few years ago when the original doctor was still living, I was told in a private conversation with a well known and highly regarded chronic CHer that the shot really worked for him (immediately shutting down a brutal high cycle), and one other chronic he knew, but apparently it wasn't proving to be as consistently effective for episodic CHers.

These two chronics were pretty desperate and didn't go in with really high expectations, so imagine their relief and astonishment.

I can't claim to understand what is going on with it, and of course any skepticism is reasonable / understood.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there. 36 y/o male here. I was chronic from the ages of 17 - 22. 

Cluster headaches ceased for a couple years. They returned in my late 20s. Busted with RC seeds. Remission. 

Again they returned at age 32. It was at this point I heard of Dr. Mike/Dr. Rick.

Got the shot Nov of 2017 and was PF within 48 hours. Remission lasted until March 2021 during a period of intense stress.

Not sure if I qualify as chronic or episodic at this point but it sure did work for me!

Now I’m in the middle of a nasty cycle being woken up 1-3 times nightly with screamers. Some days, like today, I’m completely bedridden. 

Anyway, this Friday I’ll be getting it again. I’ll let you all know how it turns out for me. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I hope I’m not infringing on this thread as I do not suffer from the headaches. However I am a 37yr old male, former body builder I’ve know about the shot for years. I finally decided to try something new. My right elbow has been torn up for the better part of 10yrs (tendinitis), of course I’ve got lower back problems, hip problems, a screaming sciatic, I usually spend 7-10hrs in bed twisting flopping to get 3-4hrs worth of sleep. I hurt all night and can’t get/stay comfortable. I’ve known “of” people that have gotten it but did not know anyone personally until just about a month ago. He’s an older guy with several ailments said he cut his arthritis and neuropathy meds in half after 48hrs of the shot and hasn’t had a sinus problem one, this is a man who was typically on a z pack twice a month. Any way fast forward I made the appointment and saw Dr. Rick yesterday at this moment I’m a little less than 24hrs, but there’s no pain in my back, elbow, or sciatic. The $300 was worth every penny just for the sleep I got last night alone. He was straight forward with me as I’m not diabetic, non smoker, in good health and very active there’s a chance I’ll be a candidate to need the shot a couple mate even 3x a year (which is the max). I know some people would frown or be upset or whatever but $900/yr to feel like I do this morning is worth every cent even if it is a 500mile round trip for me. I also noticed the last 6 months or so it doesn’t matter how good or how bad or how much I eat, I bloat to a painful point every time. Now I just go on and it dies down in a few hours. I’m not a go to the dr kinda guy. I stopped on the way home yesterday had a roadside bbq sandwich that I knew I was going to be miserable all the way home, but no issues whatsoever, ate way too much at dinner I think the steroid blend hit and I was starving. But, it was the same thing no bloat no pain. I’ll try to update in a month or so if I remember but I’d def tell anyone thinking about to do a bit of research a d make their own decision but I am now a firm believer in Dr. Rick and the dexalog12 injection. 

• Like 1

I don't think you're infringing @sls08221, thanks for the report - I find all reports about the Jesus shot interesting. 

And while we're on the subject of the shot for non CH ailments - the wife of the chronic CH'er guy who had success with it told me she was so impressed with his results, she got it for issues (I think musculoskeletal) that were making her miserable, and she reported gaining impressive relief too. :o

Congratulations @sls08221, that's great to hear! 

BTW my shot worked as well. I think I had 4 cluster attacks after the injection, each a few days apart and weaker than the previous one. After that, they relented.

These days, I get shadows especially when it rains, but it's no problem at all. Esp compared to the pain I was living in a few months ago. 

I was in the middle of a full blown cycle, but now I just enjoy a cold Red Bull every once in a while when I feel some pressure. :D

• 1 month later...

Hi. I’m going to get the shot in a few weeks. Have had a cluster for the last 9 months and exhausted. Has anyone found success recently? If it works so well why are more people not going to see this dr? I understand it’s $300 and a trip away from some but if it works so well why wouldn’t this be recommended as the #1 course of action for any of us? 

• 3 months later...

I suffered from chronic bronchitis and asthma to the point I thought I would die a few times. Lungs so full, I could not draw a breath. Constant deep coughing to the point I thought I might have a stroke. This went on for five years. I learned of Dr. Mike in 2015 from my husband's high school classmate. She recommended it to him for extreme hip pain.

I got my first shot in 2015 and had instant relief. It lasted 9 months. I have had six shots, each lasting from 9 - 12 months. As others have said, it is the best $300 I ever spend each time.

It was a sad day when Dr. Mike passed away from a heart attack. He did not name it "Jesus Shot." Detractors did.

I am not a person who goes to the doctor. I try to eat well and take supplements to boost my immune system. The shot/IV does use drugs and does not do anything to get to the bottom of my problem. But it provides absolute relief from the symptoms for almost a year. That's the best I can do for now.

I never had any side effects, but I know some people do.

• 1 month later...

Im taking my wife next week for her 1st treatment. Praying that it brings healing to her Peripheral Neuropathy pain and discomfort. Does anyone have any positive experiences regarding this treatment for peripheral Neuropathy? An encouraging word would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I do not have cluster headaches but I do have Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia and Occipital Neuralgia along with DJD, RA, fibromyalgia and a few other issues.  Have y’all heard of anyone with something like me getting this shot?  I am in talks with my pain management doctor to try it.  She says she will if I can bring more information.  Thanks so much.

It's been years since I've posted in the forum but something made me look today and I saw this old thread. I and my wife for the shot way back in August of 2017. This was just a couple months after the good doctor passed away. We got the shot from his friend and fellow doctor, (can't remember his name to save my life) and that was weird. This doctor is primarily a pediatric doctor. Picture to adults in their late 50s sitting in a pediatrics's waiting room!!!

Anyway, I got the shot for my CCH and my wife got it for her fibro and arthritis. We both felt immediate relief and that relief went on for about four months for both of us. We were told that the shot wouldn't do much for the wife's bone on bone pain and it really didn't. but for the joints that weren't that bad, it REALLY helped. I went completely pain free for about four months and then the shadows slowly started coming back along with full on CH attacks. The only side effect either of us saw was that I had pretty bad thrush for a couple weeks with is typical for any large dose of any steroid, so no biggie really.

Sadly for us, having to go to OKC just wasn't a realistic option. We spent 52 hours on the road, 27 of that driving. With the two $300 shots, we were about a grand down. To do that three times a year just wasn't doable.

Since then we've discovered the beauty that is vitamin M and not we're both doing that and it's been going great for just over two years at this point. All I can say is find what works and exploit the HELL out of that, regardless of the risk. It's your life.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I've had chronic pain for the past 20 years. I've had 5 cervical surgeries. I have degenerative disc disease, stenosis, along with fibromyalgia. Nerve damage in cervical spine and arms. Basically, was told nothing else could be done. I seriously think the medical Drs and surgeons thought I was faking this because MRIs showed nothing out of order. I just know I was searching for a large tree to run my jeep through in order to finally get relief. I figured I'd talk to the Lord afterwards and beg forgiveness. I had my 1st injection on July 11, 2022. Immediate relief. Cried like a baby in the office and grabbed the good Dr and hugged him. It lasted 1 month. Got my 2nd injection a few days ago on August 9. Not immediate relief, but did feel some better. I believe the 9 hour round trip didn't help as I haven't been able to drive long periods in years. This morning, the 10th, I have relief. I'm not going to do anything other than light house work for a week and hope it lasts longer. Dr Rick did say he thought my metabolism was extremely fast and maybe chewed up the medicine very quickly. A side note: they now charge $300 each time you're injected.

I'm hoping for at least 3 months relief. I never had totally no pain, but was 75% better and could more than live with that. If this doesn't last at least 3 months I probably won't have anymore as the cost is too high for the trip and injection. I'm happy to hear that so many have found relief. I pray this boost works for me as I'm at the end of my rope. God bless you all. I'll report back.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

How are your symptoms now, Cyndi, three weeks later? Interested in getting shot, leery about heavy steroid side effects, but still willing to give a go if it helps with severe nerve pain, skeletal issues. I suffer chronic nerve pain in arm, hand following failed neck realignment, fusion etc. Now also suffering terrible pain in lower back and leg...advanced degenerative disc disease and L3/4 facet joint troubles --- really impacting quality of life. Want to hike, clean house etc

Kat... I'm doing pretty good. I still have around 70% relief. I do still have to take my percs, muscle relaxers, and Aleve, but very much reduced and now the meds work. This morning was a little rough, but I took meds and got relief. As long as I can get relief taking my meds I'm happy.

I'm sure I'll never be able to do much more than light housework and light living. If this lasts, I will take another injection when needed, if I get long term relief.

I think if I were you, I'd give it a try. Just please don't expect 100% relief. God bless you honey ❤️

• Like 1

Thank you for thorough response. Glad to hear you're feeling 70%, that's a great report to me. I also take pain meds -- hydro & ibprophen – glean from your response the meds interact ok. So I will give it a shot, likely drive up with neighbor who's also interested (different back issues, but pain is PAIN). Cheers. I will report post-injection.

• Like 2

Split the drive if at all possible, especially if it is a long one.

I pray this works for you and your pain is greatly reduced. Even 70% is very easy to live with. I don't expect to ever be 100%.  Please let me know how you do. If you have a fast metabolism, be sure and mention that to the doctor.

God speed. Y'all are in my prayers. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I suppose my condition is just too advanced for lasting relief from pain.  My second injection was on August 9th, and now on September 10, I believe the effectiveness is totally gone. Migraines are back and pain has returned full force. I cannot put into words how disappointed I am.

I truly wish everyone success on their journey to be pain free. I hold each one of you in my thoughts and prayers. 

I'd like to ask if anyone has any suggestions for me for any relief I'd sure appreciate it. I'm afraid that these injections were my last hope. I'd also appreciate a mention when you're talking to the good Lord. 

Good luck and God bless you all. 

• 7 months later...

My husband had back surgery in 2016 but is having severe chronic pain now. He is 85 with a history of stents and open heart surgery. No heart damage. That was 3 years ago. Used steroids for a short time for arthritis. 
I understand there is a physician in Edmond ok that is also involved with this treatment. Since we live in Edmond we would like to know the name of said physician. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/12/2023 at 6:27 PM, Ed Cooper said:

My husband had back surgery in 2016 but is having severe chronic pain now. He is 85 with a history of stents and open heart surgery. No heart damage. That was 3 years ago. Used steroids for a short time for arthritis. 
I understand there is a physician in Edmond ok that is also involved with this treatment. Since we live in Edmond we would like to know the name of said physician. 

Dr.Rick Stanford 

I recently had this injection give by Dr. Rick Stanford. Who I was happy to find out was my oldest daughter’s pediatrician back in the day at Baptist Hospital,1984. He is an excellent physician. He gives the injection in Weatherford and in Okla City. Both in Oklahoma. You sign paperwork that verifies you understand it may not work for you. It is not guaranteed. I am here to tell you I have been pain free and have been at zero pain this is the first time in 5-6 years to be pain free!!!
I know that for me, my Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis has not disappeared but this definitely has given me a baseline of zero pain and clear mind that I haven’t had in a long time. I was on very a harsh medicine that I stopped 2 years and have tried to manage without. I have used supplements and exercise, some diet changes.

I changed Rheumatologist Drs several times and it seems they all want you on something and for the side affects were messing with me! I did not want to start back! 

I had slowly begun to not be able to control the pain by using ibuprofen and low dose of prednisone if needed. 
then a friend told me about this injection Dex-12. 
I thought why not and did it!

it has worked and I am not taking pain pills or drugs that have terrible side affects!

again my condition did not disappear for me but I am at a pain level I can live for sure. 
You are allow an injection every 6 months.

people give it a try for relief from pain, you will not regret it!

Edited by LittleDebbie
  • Like 2