Botox Injections for Cluster Headaches

GiGi

I headaches for in remission for 21 years.   Six weeks ago, they came back full force.    I found myself starting all over with research, doctors and treatments.   The only treatment that works right now are the injections.   I am seeing the Neurologist on Monday and will insist on trying Botox injections.   Has anyone had lunch with this treatment?

Gigi,

I think the botox injection you're talking about is usually called a nerve block injection.  There's several threads with lots of information.  Some people it works for, some it doesn't.  Even further, some people it worked for one time, didn't a second time.  (sorta like all of our treatments accept for mm, lsa, lsd etc). 

There's also a doctor that gives an injection with Vitamin B along with steroids.  Some people say it works as well.  You'll see a few discussions on the board calling that the "jesus shot".

PFW,

J

If the injections you''re talking about are nerve blocks, then botox is worth a shot at least.

I get it every 3 months, it reduces the intensity of my cluster headaches, and it's believed to eventually lower what is called CGRP, which causes inflammation and may cause headaches in the first place, but it takes time for that aspect to kick in from what I've read. I think they've said about a year?

It also hurts, and makes me feel like I've had the shit beaten out of me, to be blunt. The first week has awful slapbacks. Then it kicks in and I have some relief. I don't wake up with my 3:43 screamer as often, like maybe once a month, if that. Except for when it starts to wear off....

I have had botox injections, they are not the same as nerve blocks. I have autonomic dysfunction and this I believe caused a bad reaction. I couldn't swallow food..only liquids, breathing issues, severe neck pain. Was told not to get them again, however for most I think it would be worth a try. It is used for migraine as well.

I have had Botox done twice. For me they did a total of 32 shots each time. Shots were in the forehead, back of head and down the neck. While it took 10 years off my forehead, it did nothing for the headaches...

I should have clarified, if the injections she's been getting and are working for her are nerve blocks, botox may help.

If the injections you mention are Imitrex, or an abortive, then I suggest getting nerve blocks first. You may get much better relief that way without a 1 week waiting period!

They are not the same thing, though, like Ecaseson said.

Today is one of those 'my English is not working.'. XD

I tried the Botox 3 years ago - I agree with Pixie that it hurt a lot - I felt bruised for a week or more.

The result for me was strange - it was as if it put a doughnut in the pain - there was a hole in the middle of the pain.

No going back there at this time - heading into annual Spring cluster God Help Me.