Ear popping shortly before an attack stops ?

Archimedes

Hi all,

I am experienced since some weeks that shortly before an attack goes away, the ear on my right side (affected side) pops. Ear pops - attack done.

Happens anytime, with o2 or without o2 (I have some mild attacks that vanish in some minutes, so dont use o2 for them)

I don't have ear pain during attacks or any feeling of ear swelling.

Does anyone have the same ? I wonder if someone knows about any technique to "force" this :)

Working your jaw , jawning or doing the divers trick as during an descending  airplane flight doesn't do anything so far.

I've googled that ear popping can be allergic reaction related (besides air pressure changes). Interesting.

Archimedes,

I think (for me anyway) that what you're experiencing is fairly common.  When my CH attacks break I always get a release of sinus / ear pressure on my attack side right as the pain is stopping.  I think it has to do with the swelling we get during an attack on our attack side.  Causes the sinuses and eustachian tube to swell and reduce (or stop) airflow).  When the attack stops, the swelling quickly subsides.  I always get a gusher of a nose run also right as my attack stops (on the attack side).  

J

Thanks J,

It's new to me, that's why I wondered. Its my 4th cycle since it started 8 years ago and I never had that yet. This one however lasting close to 3 months already while the other years I just had to endure a few weeks. Probably something changed to the worse.

My left ear feels plugged and rings like crazy during an attack. It slowly alleviates afterwards. I'm a left side person. Sometime I'll pull my earlobe straight down and it will pop during an attack. But it doesn't subside the rest of the pain.

• 1 month later...

I actually became much more aware of this phenomenon in the past year, not sure if it's new to me or if I just didn't notice it before.  When I discovered the rapid relief of DMT, I also discovered that my ears pop almost every time I do my thing and the pressure subsides.  The stronger the attack, the bigger the pop.  Just as though I have been driving down a mountain, my right ear pops (left too, but much more on the pain side) and the pain is gone.

Because of this observation, I've become a bit more adept at knowing the difference between a real attack and a false alarm.  You see, I have my medicine and I love how well it works for me, but it's very precious and very illegal, so I only use it when I know FOR SURE the Beast is back.  Sometimes I get the swollen/hardened throbbing artery and spend hours fearfully anticipating the pain, which sometimes doesn't even happen.  So annoying.  Now I have been using this ear pressure as an indicator, I know it's serious if my right ear and nostril feel swollen.

The popping is definitely new for me this year, and I am not sure anymore if this is allergy driven. I initially thought it's pollen but counts a very low since some weeks.

I found a way to actually trigger the popping - I discovered the Wim Hof method ("the ice man") and try this since a week now. Interestingly this is linked to a natural DMT release as well..

Basically first thing in the morning you do deep breathing exercises, partly controlled hyper ventilation and do a quick HIIT workout like 40 push-ups. Then -> cold shower. Really cold. Boom, ear pops just like after an attack.

I am not really trying this method just for CH but it reads as scientifically proofen that this boots your whole immune system. So why not. Cold shower makes you feel awesome afterwards and more oxygen through heavy  breathing, can't hurt overall. A bit though to stick to, but we have been through worse...