Cluster Headache Followed by Migraine?

rscham

Yesterday afternoon around 3:30 I started to get a cluster headache. I've been running low on Zomig nasal sprays and my insurance is refusing to cover them so I opted for chugging a Red Bull. This has worked from time to time. Anyways, the pain began to increase and after about an hour and a half I threw up several times from the pain. Another half hour went by and the cluster headache subsided and I was able to lie down instead of my usual pacing around the house/rocking back and forth/kicking the mattress. However, The pain behind my eye turned into a different kind of pain, different from the shadows, almost like what I assume to be like a migraine. I could barely stand up without feeling really nauseous and my face was super pale and I couldn't stop shaking. My boyfriend was really concerned and we went to urgent care where they gave me some anti-nausea medication and sent me home. This lasted for 4 hours. I have never had this happen before, where a cluster headache shapeshifts into a migraine like headache. It was awful. Has anyone else ever had this happen? 

I'm honestly surprised they didn't do a CT scan or MRI, since you took a Zomig and still had a headache...

So, my question is, what did the headache feel like, if it was different than your CH? That's kind of important to know.

I would  go and get a scan to make sure that something didn't happen when you were having that hit....

I have both migraine and cluster headache. They are very different. With migraines I want to lie in a dark room. I use ice, zofran etc...When I get a cluster headache it often triggers my migraine as well. With the cluster I pace, cry, rub my face until it bleeds, beg, plead, crawl on the floor...well you all know the drill. The migraine running in the background of my cluster makes it so that even when the severe pain subsides the migraine pain remains. This goes on for 3 or 4 days then just migraines until the next cluster hits.