Gammacore/electrocore

• 4 months later...
On 10/4/2017 at 2:13 PM, spinebob said:

I have used the Gammacore for the last month and it works great as a preventative treatment for me, I use it for 4 minutes twice a day.

I paid $598 for the gammacore device that has 300 two minute sessions and a 30 day shutoff timer that shuts off the device after 30 days of use (or non-use.)

Once activated the gammacore expires in 30 days, I used it 90 times in a month so 300 uses is more than enough for anyone in a month.

I also underwent Botox for a year prior but the side effects of Botox were too much for me so I prefer the gammacore.

I am a retired Electrical Electrical Engineer that served on a nuclear submarine so I know a little about acoustical energy, I took the gammacore apart and the 2 silver round electrodes on top  are actually sonic transducers that emit sound waves -  NOT electrical waves.  Underneath the electrodes are two clear plastic balls filled with a gel in which the sound wave is transmitted into the vagus nerve.  2 electrode screws are inserted into the gel to transmit the sound energy and the frequency is adjustable.

This stimulation of the vagus nerve is by sound, quite similar to the Yoga chant "oooohhhhmmmm" that also can vibrate the vagus nerve slightly while the gammacore can REALLY vibrate the vagus nerve!

The Gammacore is powered by 2 three volt batteries in parallel so if you know what you are doing you can "bypass" the 30 day shutoff timer and use the single gammacore for months and save thousands.  You will need a couple electrical jumpers and a small rheostat to adjust the sound frequency, can get at radioshack for $5 bucks.

I will post the detailed instructions and photos as to how to bypass the gammacore timer and have a permanent device, I cannot recommend this for novices due to safety risks and always wear eye protection when working around batteries.

And I predict gammacore will start selling a permanent gammacore device soon, $598 a month is ABSURD!

I contacted the company that makes the gammaCore device. I am satisfied that the signal is an electrical one, and not just a sound. spinebob I am happy to continue this conversation as needed, you may have more information. I appreciate your skepticism, but in this case it does not appear to be true. I am not an engineer! 

Regards,

Brian E McGeeney, MD, MPH, MBA

BostonHeadacheDoc 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this device on the news today.

People should be glad there is a new effective treatment rather than demonizing the company that produces and markets it? Someone spent millions to test, develop and get the device FDA approved. If they can't make a profit, guess what? No new development. Probably one reason that there are so few effective treatments for CH as there are not many of us as compared to migraine. There's not as much profit potential.

I would see the real villains as the insurance companies who will refuse to pay for it just because they can. Have you ever tried to get your insurance to pay for daily imitrex? I think my last episode, I paid for O2 out of pocket because insurance would not pay. That was several $100. The O2 works fine, but maybe the new device is more convenient and portable for those it works for. 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:43 AM, Janet Hughes said:

I am due to get my free two month trial on Friday: 2 - 31 day supply or 2- 300 doses, whichever comes first.  Insurance probably won't cover anything after that.  Cost to purchase, with Discount is 498.00  for 31 days or 300 doses.  I will see how it goes, and keep you all posted!

Hi Janet - Any news on this effectively aborting any of your attacks?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2017 at 0:13 PM, spinebob said:

I have used the Gammacore for the last month and it works great as a preventative treatment for me, I use it for 4 minutes twice a day.

I paid $598 for the gammacore device that has 300 two minute sessions and a 30 day shutoff timer that shuts off the device after 30 days of use (or non-use.)

Once activated the gammacore expires in 30 days, I used it 90 times in a month so 300 uses is more than enough for anyone in a month.

I also underwent Botox for a year prior but the side effects of Botox were too much for me so I prefer the gammacore.

I am a retired Electrical Electrical Engineer that served on a nuclear submarine so I know a little about acoustical energy, I took the gammacore apart and the 2 silver round electrodes on top  are actually sonic transducers that emit sound waves -  NOT electrical waves.  Underneath the electrodes are two clear plastic balls filled with a gel in which the sound wave is transmitted into the vagus nerve.  2 electrode screws are inserted into the gel to transmit the sound energy and the frequency is adjustable.

This stimulation of the vagus nerve is by sound, quite similar to the Yoga chant "oooohhhhmmmm" that also can vibrate the vagus nerve slightly while the gammacore can REALLY vibrate the vagus nerve!

The Gammacore is powered by 2 three volt batteries in parallel so if you know what you are doing you can "bypass" the 30 day shutoff timer and use the single gammacore for months and save thousands.  You will need a couple electrical jumpers and a small rheostat to adjust the sound frequency, can get at radioshack for $5 bucks.

I will post the detailed instructions and photos as to how to bypass the gammacore timer and have a permanent device, I cannot recommend this for novices due to safety risks and always wear eye protection when working around batteries.

And I predict gammacore will start selling a permanent gammacore device soon, $598 a month is ABSURD!

Anyone have the instructions SpineBob speaks of?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a few comments on the gammaCore device.

As was mentioned by someone earlier in the thread, I think the first inclination on the device should be of the positives it brings. The cost is more a product of our broken and complicated medical system than of it's current cost.
The Vagus nerve has long been discussed as it's potential involvement in cluster headaches. So it was a logical choice in research. The company did spend millions on this research and it has an important role to play in the overall need for more research into clusters and helping find another piece of the puzzle. Even research that eliminates possible routes to successful treatments and an eventual cure help paint the picture and help us all zero in on discovery.

So, the most important part of this particular story, to me, is the basic research and someone, anyone, investing money into searching for something that helps us as a community that has for so long been completely ignored. The eventual effectiveness of this or any treatment is secondary. Of course we all would hope that this research finds is help but some things will be more of a help than others. Its most important that they keep searching, keep researching.

The FDA approved this device because they understood that even of only 30% of the people using it were helped, that's 30% of an entire community that needs help. That's 30% of a community that can find a new option that helps that they didn't have before. I'm extremely happy for those 30%.

It should also be important for the rest of us in that there are people looking for things that can help us. That alone should give hope to 100% of the community.

Clusterbusters has been trying to help the community since 2002. In many cases its been helping people one at a time. That take s a lot of time and dedication from a lot of people. We appreciate anything that helps just one of us. This is a very close knit community and we know that helping just one person, helps the entire community.  When individuals or companies or even government agencies try to take advantage of the community and anyone in the community, we have and will take a stand and try to protect each of us. 

We have been following this research for many years and we have heard many reports of people getting better results the longer they use this device. Yes we've also heard many stories where it was not helpful at all. Its a similar story for so many of the treatments we choose or have available. We will stay on this and follow up on its success and failures. With the cost being the biggest hurdle for people to try it, we will continue to fight to get insurance companies to cover its cost. 

As everyone knows, Clusterbusters has always offered help and advice regarding things that people can't get a prescription for from their doctor. We also know that a large portion of our community relies upon staying within the rules and only using prescription medications and treatments. We fight just as hard for all of them and try to move the entire medical community forward to find help for all of us. People should be able to choose whatever treatment works best for them and they should be able to afford that treatment. As simple as that sounds, there are many barriers that we need to tear down.

Peace out~
Hope everyone has a great 2019
Bob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3