Bad Doctor?

freakuancy

So upon the advice of member CHFather, I approached my doctor about my CH and asking about oxygen.

According to her, O2 treatment for CH is "anecdotal at best" and she would not prescribe it. She asked my symptoms, and then proceeded to tell me that CH attacks involve the whole head, and the pain I was describing behind my eye was simply a migraine. When I argued, she shut me down. The best I was able to get was a referral to a neurologist.

I am really pissed right now. Should I find a new doctor?

Well, you could send your (former) doctor this double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled crossover trial of 109 adults (aged 18-70 years) with cluster headache, showing the effectiveness of oxygen, as reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association, and ask how it is "anecdotal at best." http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/185035  If you would like to flood her with things, I can show you places where it is listed in the most reputable guides to treating CH as the #1 evidence-based abortive (along with subcutaneous sumatriptan).  Doctors have books and/or internet resources summarizing treatment approaches for conditions. All she had to do was look in/at any one of them.

There's a recommended doctor list (US and Canada) here.  It's kind of old, but maybe you can find someone better.  https://clusterbusters.org/forums/topic/3037-recommended-doctor-list/

Completely uninformed, lazy doctor.  If she is a neurologist I would question integrity, if a general doc stuck in the past...maybe a "mentor" told her this and she accepted it.  Just ask any doctor to review the info in UP-TO-DATE, a clinical reference of high integrity.  It's pretty clear O2 is number one abortive choice for clusters