Cardio and Clusters

Firequacks

I am a 38 y/o male that has had the fortunate opertunity to have developed clusters 3 years ago.  I am currently on 1000 mg of Depakote and Sumatriptan injections.  My cycles seemed to have changed a little this year.  I am now getting multiple attacks but when left untreated they last 2 to 2 1/2 hours.  Now getting to my point, I think that I'm finding that any heavy cardio workout seems to be triggering them about 2 to 4 hours after the workout.  Anybody else and if so, has anyone found a way around it?

Very unfortunately, many people do find that strenuous exercise triggers CH attacks.  I don't recall seeing a way around that problem, but maybe someone will have a more positive note for you.

Commenting on your treatments . . . Are you splitting your trex injections?  Triptans seem to extend cycles, worsen attacks, and cause rebound attacks.  Using less with each injection can help:  https://clusterbusters.org/forums/topic/2446-extending-imitrex/

It seems that you don't have OXYGEN.  You really, really want that as an abortive that will reduce your need for the triptans.

Depakote is sometimes prescribed as a preventive.  The side effects can be troublesome.  More commonly prescribed is verapamil.

Thank you for the info.  I was on verapamil but it dropped my blood pressure too much.  I also found that oxygen was giving me rebounds.  Could it be that I wasn't using it long enough?  Maybe I should try it again.  I am not splitting injections yet.  I only just heard about it.  Definitely something I need to look into.

Thank you!!

Attacks after using O2 do indicate that you didn't stay on it long enough after aborting an attack.  5-10 minutes after the abort is recommended.

Alternatively to breaking open the 6mg injectors and getting two or three shots from them, some doctors will prescribe you vials of sumatriptan and syringes so you can measure out your own dose, and there are autoinjectors with lower mgs.  There's a 4mg, I'm pretty sure, and also a 3mg, I think.

With that O2, you need to do the post hit part. Just dial back the flow and breath normally for about 5 minutes after you pain is gone. It really helps!

And, when using your O2, use it properly. Work it! Exhale with force to clear out the CO2 and inhale deeply. Hold a few seconds and repeat. Have the flow high enough to support hyperventilation if needed at the beginning when the pain is high. Adjust as needed.

BTW:A hit an hour or two post O2 is not a 're-bound', it is a separate hit. A re-bound occurs within minutes of stopping the O2. Post hit breathing is the magic needed. :)

When cardio or exercise/exertion trigger a cluster attack its usually pretty quickly. If its 2-4 hours afterward it sounds more likely to just be your clusters on their own schedule. 

Some people are able to use exercise to abort an attack but its trial and (painful) error trying to work that out.

Hopefully you have a good "cluster mask" for your 02. Otherwise the info from Spiny was important to stop rebounds.

• Like 1