Psychoactive drugs: From recreation to medication

New Scientist

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20727764.000-psychoactive-drugs-from-recreation-to-medication.html

"Meanwhile, in a study at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, funded by the Beckley Foundation, Roland Griffiths and colleagues have seen positive results in their study into the use of psilocybin as an aid to psychotherapy to treat tobacco addiction. At Hanover Medical School in Germany, a team led by Matthias Karst has been investigating whether bromo-LSD - a non-psychoactive form of the drug - can be used to treat painful cluster headaches."

Bob

Bob,

Or anyone, how does one get chosen to be in a study?

My main interest is tobacco addiction.

These days I feel comfortable with my cluster treatment. I think I have learned to live with trauma. Neither one of those curses are likely to do the harm that my smoking is doing. Just wondering.

Baseball games are over for the day, so letting my mind wander.

Guess, I'm looking for a magic cure.

For those that think the smoking won't catch up with you and your grandfather smoked for 70 years and lived to be 100, remember grandpa smoked tobacco, not the same as what we are smoking today.

Well, time for coffee and a smoke.         Leslie

For those that think the smoking won't catch up with you and your grandfather smoked for 70 years and lived to be 100, remember grandpa smoked tobacco, not the same as what we are smoking today.

yeah your prolly right. man do i love too smoke and drink coffee. im horrible. i guess its a blue collar vice

Hey there Johnny,

Loved the video. Always have liked Dire Straits, but never bumped into this song.

My collar is about as blue as blue can be. Or it was until I hung it up. Percentage wise I would guess over indulging in cigarettes and coffee is an industrial disease. Goes with the territory.

When I lost my livelihood working for Eastern Airlines and Braniff I went job hunting. I only tried for jobs where I could smoke. I ended up having to take a white collar job for awhile. That was about when my clusters went full force. Maybe we are on to something. White collars cause clusters. LOL

Unfortunately I'm afraid that theory won't hold water. An addict is an addict no matter what color the collar.

Don't know what is worse, thinking about quitting or quitting.

But if the same meds. we use for clusters could stop the craving I'd sure like to be a guinea pig.

Leslie

• 3 weeks later...
Hey there Johnny,

Loved the video. Always have liked Dire Straits, but never bumped into this song.

My collar is about as blue as blue can be. Or it was until I hung it up. Percentage wise I would guess over indulging in cigarettes and coffee is an industrial disease. Goes with the territory.

When I lost my livelihood working for Eastern Airlines and Braniff I went job hunting. I only tried for jobs where I could smoke. I ended up having to take a white collar job for awhile. That was about when my clusters went full force. Maybe we are on to something. White collars cause clusters. LOL

Unfortunately I'm afraid that theory won't hold water. An addict is an addict no matter what color the collar.

Don't know what is worse, thinking about quitting or quitting.

But if the same meds. we use for clusters could stop the craving I'd sure like to be a guinea pig.

Leslie

i so know what you mean

How strange, after busting, i hardly can take coffee. It`s like every craving is gone, coffee and cigarettes taste bad. but when CH whines up, i want it all the time. I stopped smoking for some years, it didn`t do any difference to the CH, but in the longer run, it certainly can`t do any good for that either.... So i quit again.

I`m so stupid sometimes, when i started again, i went to the store and said to myself, i gonna buy cigarettes and start smoke again. I did it in anger. How stupid, well well. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do....

• 3 weeks later...