Sound Triggers - Young Kids

dmlonghorn

Hey Folks, Just diagnosed and my first post, so needless to say, I'm still trying to wrap my clustered head around all of this. I plan to post/provide my details and experiences in due time, however, I have one question that I need insight on more than others as involves interactions with my family & young children (ages 3 & 4).

As I was just diagnosed (5 days ago), my PCP put me on high-dose steroids, so my cycles have been "curbed" for the time being. With that said, I still can feel the "tinges" like the headache(s) letting me know that they're still there, just waiting for the steroids wear off...

Can sound truly trigger an attack or start a cycle?

Any insight or experience is appreciated!

Man I am glad you said something about sound.  I have had Chronic Cluster Headaches for twenty years and back then not too many doctors or headaches sufferers knew what to call them or even understand them. Sound without a doubt can trigger my headaches to start or even get worse. But also stress and anxiety for me can make them worse. Sound is a very big trigger for me.  I no longer go to concerts, listen to loud music, even going to my church and singing can start them. I can't imagine having kids! I literally use ear plugs made for shooting guns to help me socially. Thanks for sharing, I guess I am not the only one. LOL You have a long road ahead to learn about this life changing, painful disease.  There are many opinions and some arguments among the cluster headache community on what to do, what to take and who to see. I believe you have a responsibility now to learn what they are, what kind  and even educate medical professionals if need be along with your family and friends.  Learn, learn learn become the expert!  This site is a great place to start. I really feel for you and I will say a prayer for you and your family. If you have any questions I would be happy to listen.  In twenty years with endless funds I have had many opportunities to see the best of the best.  I have tried some dumb things I regret trying or even doing. Although with time comes some wisdom. With care search, learn and listen.  Kris

• Like 1

Dmlonghorn,

sorry you need to be here but glad to have you. 

For me sound is not a trigger. But being started especially when sleeping can be a trigger. There are some great people on this site that can and will help you. Good luck.

Edited by mit12

On 3/12/2018 at 0:18 AM, Kristofer said:

Man I am glad you said something about sound.  I have had Chronic Cluster Headaches for twenty years and back then not too many doctors or headaches sufferers knew what to call them or even understand them. Sound without a doubt can trigger my headaches to start or even get worse. But also stress and anxiety for me can make them worse. Sound is a very big trigger for me.  I no longer go to concerts, listen to loud music, even going to my church and singing can start them. I can't imagine having kids! I literally use ear plugs made for shooting guns to help me socially. Thanks for sharing, I guess I am not the only one. LOL You have a long road ahead to learn about this life changing, painful disease.  There are many opinions and some arguments among the cluster headache community on what to do, what to take and who to see. I believe you have a responsibility now to learn what they are, what kind  and even educate medical professionals if need be along with your family and friends.  Learn, learn learn become the expert!  This site is a great place to start. I really feel for you and I will say a prayer for you and your family. If you have any questions I would be happy to listen.  In twenty years with endless funds I have had many opportunities to see the best of the best.  I have tried some dumb things I regret trying or even doing. Although with time comes some wisdom. With care search, learn and listen.  Kris

Thanks Kris - Certainly some "sound" advice :)... I am now a proud owner of several pairs of ear plugs and they help! They take just enough of that high-end tone off of certain sounds.

I plan to share my story and help the CH community as much as possible... 

• Like 2

Ah, the squeals of children! They can cause a headache on an inside day for anyone I think. So, why shouldn't they aggravate or bring on a hit?

I had a hearing test at work a few years ago. 'You have a lot of hearing loss.' Ah, in what frequency range? 'In the high frequency range.' Like sounds of little kids squealing? 'Yes.' That's cool. :) I love kids, but not those high pitched squeals they can make when playing!