anyone know how to disassemble for multiple shots?

JamesF

I got some new imitrex injections and, unlike my old injectors, these must cost $50 to produce and they did not intend for someone to open them. I literally sawed each end off with my leatherman while in a hotel room in FL. After working on the thing for 30 mins I cut off something that was holding the pressure back from the capsule containing the fluid and it shot the fluid out. So I lost the shot completely instead of being able to divide it up. 

IMG_4169.JPG.jpg

James,
I asked at the Cluster Headaches FB group.  Two replies so far. One was "I usually take a pair of pliers and chip away at the plastic around the window. Just don’t accidentally push down on the plunger or needle end."    The other reply was a question -- "Who makes it?"  If you let me know, I'll relay the info over there and let you know.  (Of course, you can join that group yourself, but sometimes it takes a few days to be accepted, so I just figured I'd ask now.)

Looks to be a made by Teva Generics, same ones I have.

I'm assuming the purpose to open these up is to self-administer variable amounts? Is it possible to ask your doctor to prescribe the vials?

If so, Walmart has  sumatriptan 5 vials (0.5ml) 6mg/0.5ml for $122 on www.goodrx.com

• Like 2

...if the doc won't prescribe vials (the only reason I can think of would be excess caution re possible overuse).....ask the pharmacy to sub the vials for the statdose. As one told me one time...."same med...same price"...just need a box of skinny needle syringes. ...

...price has come down since I Iast used suma...was $600....

...might want to consider Zomig nasal spray (5 mg)....pricey but 99% effective/rapid for me w/o the "ooky" side effects...and no rebounds

Best

Jon

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CHfather said:

James,
I asked at the Cluster Headaches FB group.  Two replies so far. One was "I usually take a pair of pliers and chip away at the plastic around the window. Just don’t accidentally push down on the plunger or needle end."    The other reply was a question -- "Who makes it?"  If you let me know, I'll relay the info over there and let you know.  (Of course, you can join that group yourself, but sometimes it takes a few days to be accepted, so I just figured I'd ask now.)

Looks like it is made by TEVA. Thanks

3 hours ago, dmlonghorn said:

Looks to be a made by Teva Generics, same ones I have.

I'm assuming the purpose to open these up is to self-administer variable amounts? Is it possible to ask your doctor to prescribe the vials?

If so, Walmart has  sumatriptan 5 vials (0.5ml) 6mg/0.5ml for $122 on www.goodrx.com

That is interesting about the vials. He mentioned they used to be able to get them so I am not sure he knows about that. I will check with him on that. This injector is a tank. 

2 hours ago, jon019 said:

...if the doc won't prescribe vials (the only reason I can think of would be excess caution re possible overuse).....ask the pharmacy to sub the vials for the statdose. As one told me one time...."same med...same price"...just need a box of skinny needle syringes. ...

...price has come down since I Iast used suma...was $600....

...might want to consider Zomig nasal spray (5 mg)....pricey but 99% effective/rapid for me w/o the "ooky" side effects...and no rebounds

Best

Jon

Thanks, Jon!

...and oh...I should have said don't give up if one pharmacy says no....ask around. And as one of our brothers here said(sorry, can't remember who)....if they don't stock it, ask them to order...they make good bucks on this type of drug....so they would have ample motivation....

• Like 1