Attachments ??????

CHfather

In the edit box that I am now typing in you find a paperclip icon in the lower left corner.  You can drag a file from your desktop into the box or click choose files and pick from the file explorer window with a double click.  The file limit size is 0.23 MB which is pretty compact.

Thank you!

The only thing I see in the lower left here is the "Notify me of replies" checkbox.  Gonna see what happens if I send this and then "edit" it.  

(Nope. Maybe it's my operating system or something.)

Edited by CHfather

CHF -See the 'edit' option in a post - Quote    Edit     Options right next to the + box? Click edit and then add apparently.

With this not yet posted, I see a paperclip and Drag files........ Once posted, I get the other options.

• Like 1

Okay, so this has been making me pretty nuts.  I guess at this point I'm asking whether there's an admin who can help me out . . . I have an idea what's going on, but no way to correct it.

I'm working an a PC (not phone or tablet).  Using my standard Microsoft Edge browser, I see none of the things either of you (Pebbles and spiny) mention.  Using Google Chrome, I DO see them.  HOWEVER, I still get no attachment or paperclip option.  So, trying everything I could think of, I clicked the down arrow next to my username at the very top right of the page.  One of the items on the dropdown menu there is "Attachments"(!!)  Things I have previously attached are there, going back to 2013 (nothing more recent than 2014), along with a message saying "You have used 569.07 kB of your 500 kB attachment limit."  So I suppose that must be why I get no in-post attachment options today -- because I used all my attachment space up in 2013 and 2014.  This seems bizarre, but I can't fix it, unless maybe I go back to those '13 and '14 posts and delete them.     

That would make sense.  The system likely has limits of how much total data you can upload.  My guess this is a determination made but system constraints or, more likely, the cost of server space.  My guess is this is at the admins discretion but may not be individually adjustable.  A general widening of limits may be a concern regarding cost etc.  In looking at how forums and facebook work it is very inefficient for longitudinal deployment of information.  You either have to "pin" info or have it tucked away in the files sections.  It would be nice if there was "mandatory reading" of curated material to avoid "asked and answered" repetition.  This forum is far superior to something like FB which is mostly a support group.  Clusterbusters is more of an information clearing house. 

That would make sense.  The system likely has limits of how much total data you can upload.  My guess this is a determination made but system constraints or, more likely, the cost of server space.  My guess is this is at the admins discretion but may not be individually adjustable.  A general widening of limits may be a concern regarding cost etc.  In looking at how forums and facebook work it is very inefficient for longitudinal deployment of information.  You either have to "pin" info or have it tucked away in the files sections.  It would be nice if there was "mandatory reading" of curated material to avoid "asked and answered" repetition.  This forum is far superior to something like FB which  Edit:  After running through this site I must amend some of what I wrote.  The necessary info is well collected and pinned in pertinent discussions.  Folks just have to have the motivation to read.  They should. 

• 3 weeks later...