CBD (I know - I know, but bear with me.)

Hello gang:

I need to report in. I'm Checkin' in like Gunga Din.   

As I posted over a year ago:    "However those of you who have let me whine here for the last decade or more know that I keep the [ triptan] injections handy - and I take a healthy dose of Verap. every day all year - I have the big big O2 tank in the hall all year - I have tried a visit to the Portuguese wizard, busting with shrooms, Chinese doctor and herbs - nothing but licorice water for a week, water water water, exercise rapidly, ice on the carotid artery, steroid dose pak, Cluster vitamin regimen, Opioids, benzos, advil, melatonin, a Shaman in the Navajo tradition, Hot water pads, every other god dam thing.  In the end; every single cluster cycle required absolute submission to the Beast in varying amounts before I can see the light.  "

By chance,  this year in April which is the inevitable early part of my annual cycle, my mother-in-law brought me a bottle of CBD oil made from Hemp - no cannabis no THC .  Having tried all of the crazy stuff above I am open to anything.  The beast came knocking one evening in April it was the first of the season that was more than a shadow.  I assumed the position on the floor and got my ice bag. Then I took a full ml. of the CBD sublingual. The attack aborted in minutes.

I used that small hemp oil vial in a bout 15 days. My research led me to understand the "Entourage Effect " of cannabanoids.  (I don't like to drop links in this board so Google it)  I got my medical card and bought a CBD compound which is "Whole Plant Medicine".   Not enough THC to even contemplate the tiniest buzz, but medially,  enough to keep the CBD in concert with the other the other therapeutic compounds in cannabis.   I have not had another attack since April.  This is the first year in 10 or more years that that has happened.

I know CH Father has commented that the results and reports on CBD are all over the place and this I see as I have looked on the boards.  However - having been here since the early days of the "old board" I just had to let you know of this amazing outcome.   Now - I have felt the beast trying to break in on a  few occasions, which to me only adds credence to the results I am having being attributed to the CBD.  A PF summer  -- who ever heard of such a thing ?

I hope  to keep reporting these positive results. Wishing you all well.

TomSwift

• Like 4

Holy hand grenade batman. Is this true?? Lol. I am on my first cluster experience for the first time in my life. I am 31 and I have been getting them for 45 days straight (besides 4 days on steroids). I am actually coming down from one now right now ha.

But I would love to experiment with this stuff and see if it works. I would duct tape a bottle of that stuff to my thigh if I had to. I would also be open to trying all of the crazy things that you tried as I was headed there myself..

Off to do some research and thank you again!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing your update Tom. Searching for info on CBD can be overwhelming. I have spent a lot of time looking at dosing and brands for family members with chronic pain and RA. I have found that this company (https://www.lazarusnaturals.com/ ) makes one of the highest quality products for the price. Don’t get me wrong they are not cheap but their high concentration products can last quite a while. In comparison to Toms 15mg/1ml the Lazarus is 50mg/1ml.  I highly recommend the tasteless high concentration product. It is by far the best tasting (it really is tasteless) CBD product I’ve tried. I started taking it today even though I just had a successful bust last Saturday.  As far as dosing goes I have found that 15mg/day is low dose (highly recommended for anti anxiety effects), 50mg-200mg/day low-moderate dosage (also good for anxiety, inflammation  and pain),  600mg/day and above (reccomended adult dose for epilepsy).  I did come across some information that said you loose the anti anxiety effects at higher doses. Dosage information on the web can be some what vague but that’s what I was able to gleam. 

Happy busting

Brian

• 3 months later...

Thanks for sharing your success story with CBD. I'm interested in trying it for my cluster headaches. I've used traditional, FDA-approved meds to deal with my episodic cluster headaches for the past 10+ years. I'm beginning to consider alternative therapies, including CBD and LSA seeds. 

Thanks Swiftlaw, I too have tried it all, with very little success ( except for the wonder drug imitrex, which I robustly abused ).  Your story of CBD oil is fascinating, could it be that simple? I hope so, I bust now and it takes planning and work.

Freud, I went on the Lazarus website, just to make sure..  You are referring to the "Flavorless High Potency Tincture"?

Thanks guys, the more ammo I carry, the better to fight the beast.

I ended up buying a bottle of CBD oil today to try when I go to bed tonight. The brand I purchased is called "Saving Grace Oil." I have no idea what the concentration is; I'm concerned it may not be concentrated enough, according to what @Freud recommended. It looks like the oil I bought only contains 11 mg of hemp extract, so I'm gathering I didn't buy the highest-quality oil, unfortunately. Not sure if that will affect the effectiveness. Sigh. I'm really hoping this will prevent a cycle. 

I’ve tried it, and it worked! I was doubtful that it could be as simple as that, but it was. I was taking 45mg a day and I had absolutely no attacks. Be careful though! Even though there are absolutely no psychoactive effects from taking this, there is still a risk of THC showing on a drug screen. 

While taking the CBD I was able to completely stop taking all of the other prescription meds that I was taking (that weren’t working) to abort my attacks. 

This is my post. This is an update since August when I first posted this.  I said, "I have not had another attack since April.  This is the first year in 10 or more years that that has happened."

November now and still PF.   I take the CBD in a dropper under my tongue every day - I simply leave it in my car and use about 1ml a day The strength of the CBD varies a lot so in one bottle a ML might be 250mg and in another only 50mg. Read carefully and adjust your dose till you are conformable.  Front load the dosage - ie double up the first 3 days. The oil is pleasant in a natural surfactant like a seed oil and I spend approx $60.00 every month.

Not only has this aborted the April 2018 cycle but it carried all the way through today.   I am still skeptical  a bit as the Beast has penetrated everything else over the last 30 years. I will become confident if I get through say, May of 2019.

In the meanwhile again its been over 10 years since I had any relief and my cycles are like clockwork virtually to the week every year.  CBD oil is working for me. 

My thought is that it may not break a cycle in progress ie when the talons of the Beast have already been embedded in your head, but with my experience when I was in the very first episode of an impending cycle - I have been completely PF for 8 months.

I will check in again in a few months. Merry Christmas to all my Clusterheads.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ithink the problem with any medication and clusters is to truly know how well it’s worked you need 2 years at least with episodic ch as we all know ch works in strange ways 

so would be interesting to hear after two years

neanwhile I ll keep taking it and have a dose of magic every now and then

ofc then I’ve no idea which one works or doesn’t 

Edited by Twisted-Melon

Well, here's my news.
I've been taking the CBD religiously and as I've said before I've been paying free for a long time, but the beast is back is broken through whatever barrier I had going on and last night I had three screamers kip tans one two three in a row all night long. I should have known I guess, but still grateful for the pain free time.   So as twisted melon said, I have no idea what was working and what wasn't.

Next. Back to my acupuncturist for electro acupuncture with white laser on the neck.

trying to stay away from the sumatriptan but sometimes there's nothing left for it with the cave in and take the conventional meds.

So disappointed.

Ugh. 

Interestingly, they have come back not gradually with an acendance to the peak of the cycle,  but at full speed -full on - pedal-to-the-metal with its talons out and fully engaged, headbangers, KIPP 10 Screamers and just after the Winter Solstice.   I was so happy I really thought I had it licked. It's the beast it's The wretched beast.