Question from someone new

JohnStoppain

Hi all, I started getting CH in May and just had two weeks free of them and then they started again in September. I think I might have triggered this cycle by eating chocolate.

My Dr. wants me to go on oxygen for pain but medicare does not cover it. Any suggestions on that and maybe what would be a good medication to try. I get my CH in my sleep anywhere from 1 to 4 per night.  

Any help appreciated!

Hey John,

I'm painfully aware Medicare refuses to cover oxygen therapy for medicare beneficiaries with CH.  We fought this non-coverage determination in 2009-2010 but lost the battle to a bunch of Big Government bureaucrats who never had CH much less treated a patient with CH.  If you want to go with oxygen therapy, take up welding...  Welder's oxygen comes from the same distillation process as medical oxygen.  I've used it for over 8 years...  I'm still here... Just don't tell the welding supply folks what you intend to do with the welder's oxygen.

Your best course of action is to go back to your doctor and ask for the lab test of your serum 25(OH)D.  The odds are high you're vitamin D3 deficient and that deficiency is contributing to the frequency, severity and duration of your CH.

Download a copy of the anti-inflammatory regimen CH preventative treatment protocol from the following link then take a copy to your doctor when you ask for the 25(OH)D lab test.

http://www.vitamindwiki.com/tiki-download_wiki_attachment.php?attId=7708

That way you'll both be singing from the same sheet music when you come back after 30 days on this 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 regimen for lab tests of your serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

• Like 1

Welding O2 works just fine. You will need to rent or buy a tank, a regulator, and a mask. The non-rebreather mask sold by our sister site and is the best out there. About 30.00 for it. If you buy the tank, you can have it filled by any O2 company. If you rent, you must go to the company you are renting from. The regulator needs to go up to 25LPM. A welding regulator does not have setting for that, so if you go that route you just open the tank enough to have a full bag when you are ready to take the next breath. You can shop around for that bit.

Have you tried hitting some caffeine at the beginning of a hit? Energy shots, energy drinks, and coffee can all work for your. It can stop a hit or at the very least make it much easier to abort the hit. And few have trouble going back to sleep even with the caffeine.

Being nocturnal too, I find that sleeping in a recliner helps a lot. Just keep your head above your heart - don't lean back all the way. You can get fewer hits and you wake sooner so they are easier to abort.

I strongly recommend The D3 Regimen. Just healthy vitamins that can lower your pain level and slow ramp up. For some, it does even more.

• Like 2