Cleaning O2 Mask and hose

Jeff_007

Well, well... I'm BAAAAAACCCKKKK!   Its been 5 years since I last busted (longest remission yet) and my CH returned about 2 weeks ago.. along with others I see.   I have a question regarding how to properly clean an O2 mask. I haven't used it in 5 years and its really dusty.... Is there a certain way to clean it properly so I dont get some brain eating amoeba? LOL!  Or should I just buy a new one to be safe?   

I'm surprised by how many sites recommend replacing masks pretty frequently -- every month or six weeks.  I don't think many people in this community do that, but I could be wrong.  If you have a standard non-rebreather mask, you can buy a new one at amazon or many other online sites for under $10.  If you don't have the premier mask designed for people with CH (http://www.clusterheadaches.com/ccp8/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=clustero2kit), it's a darn good investment.

The general advice for cleaning a mask is to wash it in warm soapy water, rinse it with a solution of 10 parts water to one part vinegar (vinegar kills bacteria but is not supposed to harm anything else), and then rinse well with hot water.

Jeff,

IMHO, I'd get a new mask.  Most oxygen companies give them out for free if you get home Oxygen delivery.  Also, like CHF above said.  They're $5 to $7 on Amazon.  Not worth the risk of getting some nasty bacteria those things can harbor.  Moisture in a closed compartment for a long time breeds nothing good.  ;) 

J

• Like 1

Hey Jeff,

I've kept my Cluster Mask Kit in a ziplock bag when not in use.  It's 12 years old, but hasn't been used much since I acquired an oxygen demand valve.  I keep the demand valve in a ziplock bag as well as the oxygen cylinder top and first stage regulator.  Even my demand valve isn't used much except for demonstrations since I developed and started taking the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 and its cofactors in October of 2010.  It's an effective CH preventative treatment protocol that's kept me essentially CH pain free ever since.  You can read more about this vitamin D3 regimen at the following link. 

http://www.vitamindwiki.com/tiki-download_wiki_attachment.php?attId=7708

Be sure to take a copy of this treatment protocol to your PCP/GP when you ask for the lab test of your serum 25(OH)D.  That's the serum level metabolite of vitamin D3 that's used to measure its status.  The normal reference range for the 25(OH)D lab test is 30 to 100 ng/mL.  The odds are high you're vitamin D3 deficient, i.e., less than 30 ng/mL and that deficiency is contributing to the frequency, severity and duration of your CH.

Getting back to washing an oxygen mask...  The mouthpiece and face mask are easy to wash and dry... Dry is the operable word.  The reservoir bag is another story.  If the inhalation and exhalation flapper valves are working properly, the inside of the reservoir mask should be relatively clean.  If you do wash your mask, disassemble the components and be sure to wipe them dry.  When you're done rinsing the reservoir bag interior, be sure to hang it upside down to drip dry. 

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch