Newbie help UK

ClusterHubby

Hi all sorry I haven’t been on in a while and updated the post. So far I have seen a neurologist twice now and I have to say he was fab he officially dignosed me with chronic migraines and cluster headaches. He is basically just waiting to see if the clusters or episodic or chronic and I have a direct number for him that I can call if I get worse or have no change instead of going through my GP who hasn’t a clue on the Cluster headaches.so far under his care I  have had steroid tablets and also steroids injections into my head along with nerve blocks. First set of nerve blocks was on the 6th of December they didn’t do much to help and the second set which was a lot more injections think it was 5 including steroids injection into the nerves I got those on the 17th. I have also started on the verapamil 240mg a day but I know I will have to put on a higher dose soon. Also been on Melatonin aswell. And at long last have finally got the oxygen for the house. I know somebody had asked about the D3 I am just taking the D3 and omegas vitamins that you can buy at a chemist as well as a calcium and D3 one aswell. I’m still taking sumatriptan nasel and injections form. So far from the last 2 weeks the Cluster headaches hasn’t been as frequent I was taking up to 8 a day now I take 2-4 a day somedays just one others its 4. I really don’t know what has worked I’m just glad it has. As it has been 7 weeks of hell especially with 2 young children in the house But my husband and my family has been fabulous and I’m truly blessed and forever grateful for them. Thank you all for your support and advice there’s been a lot of post on the thread and I hope I’ve answered at of your questions so far. Thanks Maria.

Thanks for the update Maria, glad to hear things are looking a little better. Have you considered busting with seeds?  Sounds like it’s your next natural progression. It’s so nice to hear if others getting the support they need. Things like this will tend to improve relationships and strengthen bonds or break them. For me my family has been tramendous. 

Pain free wishes

brian

Maria,

There's more to the anti-inflammatory regimen CH preventative treatment protocol than it appears you are taking.  You can find the complete description of the supplements and their doses for this regimen at the following link.  All the vitamin D3 cofactors are essential with magnesium and zinc being the most important as they are needed for vitamin D3 metabolism.

http://www.vitamindwiki.com/tiki-download_wiki_attachment.php?attId=7708

The 12-Day accelerated vitamin D3 loading schedule at 50,000 IU/day for 12 days is the fastest way to elevate your serum 25(OH)D into the therapeutic range where most CHers experience relief from their CH.  At the completion of the 12-Day loading schedule drop back to a vitamin D3 maintenance dose of 10,000 IU/day. 

If you're sticking with this regimen, it's a good idea to ask your PCP for lab tests of your serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH 30 days after starting it.  As long as your serum calcium is within its normal reference range and your PTH is in the lower third of its normal reference range, there's no vitamin D3 intoxication/toxicity a.k.a., hypercalcemia (too much serum calcium).  Take along a copy of the treatment protocol.  I developed it for physicians.

Take care and please keep us posted

V/R, Batch

Edited by Batch

• 5 weeks later...

Wow that sounds awful. I can’t inagine what you’re all going through. 

What part of the UK are you in? 

Try to get a referral to a neurologist. It will probably take months to be seen so ask ASAP. At least that way you’re not dealing with a GP who may know very little. The first time I discussed Oxygen the GP didn’t know it was a treatment option and had never heard of it so do plenty of research of your own on treatment options. 

At GP level you should be able to get a preventative. Verapamil is usually the most effective however, for me this worked for a while and then all of a sudden didn’t (I’ve seen other people say the same) When you see the neuro I would think about asking about surgery options for the number of headaches she’s getting- especially if it’s chronic. How did they know it was chronic?