Does nasal decongestant spray work for you?

senya

And another update! I've had three more hits and tried the oxymetazoline nasal spray with other abortive techniques (caffeine, 5 hour energy, chugging ice water, ice pack on head, ginger, etc) and have not had much success. The hit is shorter than normal (2.5ish hours) but not less painful. Bummed, but I'll keep trying it in case it works again, lol. 

• Sad 1

An abortive that works once or twice, then nuthin'? Unfortunately that is a familiar scenario to me. Example: Back in olden times I tried the newly reported-as-effective jamming of hot pepper capsaicin cream up the nose on the affected side and it aborted a hit! That one time. Following that it was just all nose pepper fire, no relief. 

I'm also the type who has found during the first days of a cycle, all kinds of stuff like lower flow O2, breathing freezing cold air, vigorous exercise can abort an attack, but as the cycle ramps up, forget it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Amholla3 said:

tried the oxymetazoline nasal spray with other abortive techniques (caffeine, 5 hour energy, chugging ice water, ice pack on head, ginger, etc) and have not had much success.

Is there a reason why you don't have oxygen or a triptan?

7 hours ago, CHfather said:

Is there a reason why you don't have oxygen or a triptan?

I switched insurance last November (got married and joined my wife's plan!) and have had an awful time getting scheduled to see any type of doctor. I have some expired sumatriptan but historically the sumatriptan has given me a very bad reaction so I'm avoiding it as much as possible. Hoping to get some non-medical oxygen this weekend! Fingers crossed! 

And I finally have a doctor's appointment scheduled for early April. Hoping I can bust the cycle by then though!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Following up on this.... I am still using the oxy nasal spray. Not sure if it helps in any capacity at this point, but it is part of my "emotional support CH response kit" that I have been bringing with me. I know I am getting to the end of my cycle as its not reacting to the usual tools. But I am still using them all just in case! :) 

• Like 1