ClusterBusters
Sign in to follow this  
Brain on fire

Oxygen prescription guestion!

Calling my doc for the Rx this morning! I may have left out a couple of important words in my letter to him yesterday. I worded it this way. Noting the dosage was to get the proper flowmeter/regulator.

Oxygen therapy for cluster headache: 15-25 minutes at 20/lpm as needed: With non-rebreather mask.

Should I use the words  'home oxygen therapy'? Should I use the words 'as abortive for cluster headache'?

All this wording pondering is completely silly here in Finland. Majority of doctors refuse to write a prescription for oxygen because they don't know "how"; they don't know the "wording" since they have never written one. This kind of issue keeps patients from receiving the best abortive. If some company delivers oxygen to you that requires the O2 script, the wording makes no difference. The O2 supplier and the prescribing doctor can work together and correct the Rx if needed. Doctors can also contact any O2 supplier anywhere in the world and directly ask "so what do I write in here?". In some countries you need to specify the time frame for an example ("for a year's supply" etc.). It does not have to be perfect. It just gets corrected so many times it's right. There's just some silly perfection thing going on.

Edited by Tony Only

A few months ago my VA O2 supplier changed.  The old company just brought me whatever I needed.  The new company has been very specific to only deliver what the VA has on the script.  The VA had to change my script to read "30 each E tanks monthly"  That way I can get as many as I need without being told no when I hit my monthly allotment.  I suspect after a year or so they'll loosen up just like the old company and bring whatever I need whenever I need it.  All they really care about in the long run is getting paid.

J