Has melatonin made CH worse for anyone?

Dandownunder

Hi everyone, A while back I bought a bottle of 10mg melatonin pills. I herd that people used them for CH and for sleep. I mainly bought them for CH but I have also never been able to get a good nights sleep so I thought if they didnt help the CH much then better sleep could be a good side effect. I Was in a particular bad period of CH at the time i started taking them and they seemed to do nothing at all in regards to my CH or sleep for that matter. after a week or two I stopped taking them. My partner took them one night and it knocked her out and she had a bunch of crazy dreams, but for me nothing. The pills sit in the cupboard now gathering dust. 

My CH have been a fair bit better lately and have had a handfull of days PF or just a CH on waking in the morning. I thought id try taking them again to see if I would atleast get some kind of better sleep since even if im not in as much pain as before I still can not sleep for more than 3 hours tops without waking up. I took one and that night I had one of the worst nights in ages, not only waking up regularly but having multiple CHs. 

Now thinking back I think these pills have only made things worse when I've taken them. It could be a Coincidence but Im not sure, Ive only read of people that have found Melatonin helpful. Is there anyone out there that can shed light on this?

A couple of other people have had the feeling that they got worse attacks on nights when they took melatonin.  Melatonin is quite low in people during their CH cycles, and it has affects on regulating activity of the hypothalamus, so that's why it is recommended, and probably why for some people it works very well.

• Like 1

...made me an "odd feeling" groggy...quick sleep....strange dreams...zero effect on CH...…..didn't seem to matter where in episodic cycle I was....

...definitely worth a try as I 've seen numerous positive reports....perhaps try different doses....10 sounds high (3 mg usual dose for sleep support)…..

best

jon

10 hours ago, Rod H said:

I've had similar experiences as well with melatonin.

thanks Rod good to know im not the only one

8 hours ago, jon019 said:

...made me an "odd feeling" groggy...quick sleep....strange dreams...zero effect on CH...…..didn't seem to matter where in episodic cycle I was....

...definitely worth a try as I 've seen numerous positive reports....perhaps try different doses....10 sounds high (3 mg usual dose for sleep support)…..

best

jon

Ive messed with the dose a bit taking 2.5 and 5mg but I didnt notice any positive effects on sleep or CH then either, I started taking 10mg because thats what i was reading was a good dose for CH, but im thinking obviously it is no good for me. Dont think ill ever take it again.

I have been using 3mg of at night before bed, for a few months now.  It does help me fall asleep which is nice when I have shadows or feel like I have a CH coming later at night - though it does make it difficult for me to wake up in the morning at times, feeling groggy like Jon mentioned above.  I don't think it is causing any CH for me as I haven't really noticed any difference taking vs not taking it .

I take 20mg about a half hour before I go to sleep at night and do not feel it adds to me getting any more attacks. I have no problem getting up in the morning after taking them and if I forget to take them one night I do not think it makes a difference. I don't know if they help me at all but I do not feel that it is hurting me as far as clusters goes.

Edited by FunTimes

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

My neurologist suggested that I use melatonin as a preventative.  I took the pill on the same night as my Dr appointment date and had the worse ever bouts of CH all night long.  I was in a constant cycle of dozing off then awakening to CH then dozing and awakening.  It was horrendous.  I have been researching the topic ever since.  I just received my first J tank yesterday and thought that I would try the 3mg melatonin once again, last night.  This time, I recorded the times of my CH bouts and starting at 10:30nPM I experienced a CH every hour but thankfully the oxygen aborted each one.  Now, I am certain that Melatonin isn’t a good solution for me, at least not when I am in an episodic period.  

I’m surprised I’m seeing so many negative reactions to the melatonin. I’ve been taking 5mg every night for a year now, I wonder if that would explain my daily headaches? Maybe tonight I will stick to Benadryl because my allergies have been out of control 

• Like 1