Is ch linked to dental work?

Boatman

I watched the "Root Cause" on netflix a few weeks ago and it freaked me out because their were claims on our teeth and how it effects our health. Is cronic illness caused by toxcicity and deficiancy? I currently have a cavitity on the same side as my ch and ive also had my wisdom teeth pulled and i know iv also had a root canal. Im just too scared to go to the dentist in my cycle. Ive been looking heavy into this. Some people are claiming the show is bs but are there parts of this that are true? Can mouth infections or toxins from teeth damaging are brain? Does anyone else with ch have issues with teeth that can relate. Also i looked up this Dr. Gerald h Smith from the show and he clams that a cranial adjustment fix a girl with "headache that prevented her from drinking alcohol" what ever that means.. 

The only “link” between dental work and CH is that people undergo unnecessary dental and sinus procedures thinking it’s the cause of their pain. These tend to be people with undiagnosed CH. don’t be scared there is no link between the 2. Getting and abscess and subsequent endocarditis from not treating it is your biggest risk. 

What Freud says is basically correct -- as many people have learned the hard way, having work done on your teeth is very, very, very unlikely to help your CH.  Serious tooth work (extractions, root canals) have indeed set off CH in a bad way for some people.  Dealing with a cavity probably isn't at that level.

However, the anesthetic used by dentists while treating a cavity or doing other tooth work has been shown to cause attacks for many people.  Anesthetics containing epinephrine (such as Xylocaine) have been identified by some people as triggers. Ask your dentist to use something else: Prilocaine seems not to cause bad effects. Some people find that nitrous oxide ("laughing gas") is okay as an anesthetic (I remember someone here actually trying to get hold of some as an abortive), but some people have said it's a trigger for them. 

I think you dentist's office is likely to have O2 on hand (I've noticed tanks in my dentist's office). You might check into this (do they have it; tank size; flow rate; mask type) or bring your own O2 setup if you have a portable-size tank.

• Like 1

Dental work is a double edged sword for CHers.  While some may find the anesthesia a trigger, the infection associated with dental cavities and gingivitis causes the release of neuroinflammatory agents that trigger CH in most CHers even if taking 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3.  After 8 years collecting feedback data from CHers taking the anti-inflammatory regimen and lots of research, it's best to maintain good dental health with checkups and cleaning at least every 6 months. 

• 3 months later...

I have been CH free for 3+ years thanks to Batch and the d-3 regimen. Last week I went to the dentist and had teeth grinded down and 2 caps put in... This week the shadows have returned. So I am thinking the dental work may have triggered it... Who knows? 

21 years ago when CH started for me I was convinced that my wisdom teeth were doing it since they had just broken skin and were not going to fit when they came all the way in. I got them pulled out but the CH stuck around :)

Hey Dana,

Infections of any kind can affect the frequency of CH.  Gingivitis can also occur even when people have a good dental practice brushing daily.  The problem is usually diet.  Sugars and starches metabolize in the mouth to feed bacteria responsible for gingivitis. Avoiding sweets, brushing after meals, and high doses of vitamin C at 4 to 6 grams/day can do wonders.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know I don't say much on here, but this I have to answer. 

I've been chronic for 8 years, was episodic for 5 prior to chronic.  I rarely used to get a day off from the beast, and my attacks lasted 3 hrs each, sometimes twice a day.  Sumatriptans couldn't cut it because of the rebounds from having to use it every day.  Other meds did not work for me.  And my blood pressure is always low so I couldn't try that route.

My teeth used to constantly make me feel like I wanted to pull them all out.  I would go to the dentist to be told nothing was wrong, so I quit going.  Two years  ago I had a root canal done in the 90's go bad and they decided to take it out.  The next year another root canal went bad because the dentist had done it wrong.  So a few months ago  my new dentist took all my root canals out ( 2 more).

Much to my surprise, I am having LESS attacks, even though I'm considered chronic.  I get 3 or 4 days with nothing but taking 5 Hr Energy when I feel one coming on that usually aborts it within 30-45 minutes.  This is a BIG improvement for me.  It has kept me from wanting to go be roadkill.  I used to say I was going to go play in traffic because they were so brutal.  Now I don't say that.  I can live with 3 a week compared to what I used to have.  That being said, I do get a migraine type headache that can hang on all day and just gnaw at you at times.

Dental does play a big part in your health, and you shouldn't ignore it.  Teeth and mouth infections can kill you if let to go too long .  It can get in your brain.

I'm not advocating anyone do what I did, but I had to speak out and say that it did help me.  What is strange is that when I get a real hard banger, I still get some pain where the tooth used to be.  I had to get partials for where the teeth are gone now, but by God it was worth it to me not to suffer every day as I did..

• Like 1