Benadryl to bust imitrex rebound

big j

I had a flare up last week and Wednesday did an imitrex injection about 10pm which was an hour after falling asleep, woke up at 130 with a rebound and chewed up a Benadryl and left it under my tongue while a coffee brewed they drank both down. Headache never got worse and was gone in about a half hour.  Didn't fall asleep again but about 430 stated shadowing(?), maybe a little pain so chewed up another Benadryl ( tried leaving under my tongue but felt like it was leaving a chemical burn) and same, never got worse and was gone in a half hour or so. Thursday night when I got my headache I tried just the Benadryl but headache kept building and lasted for a little over an hour. Had a second headache Thursday night more Benadryl but again, didn't work. 

Maybe just a fluke or maybe it will work as a imitrex rebound aborter. I abused imitrex before I heard of ch(thought it was a migraine) and I'm going to try to not use it anymore but if you do maybe try this with the imitrex

Kind of? I have torches in my barn and have had some success with blowing o2 in my mouth with the torch head. My ch has been well enough in check that I have barely used an abortive. The imitrex injection expired in 2012. I know I should but most attacks are at work or when I get woke up cause there already going

Edited by big j
Spelling error

Hiya big j...I like the handle...it's what the warehouse guys called me except when they were pissed.....then it was "management f**k". I cop to one of those two...but opinion was divided...

OXYGEN changed my life and at least saved my sanity.....but you're scaring me with that torch technique....a mistake on pressure or direction (both easily affected by a hit) and you're in a world of hurt . The proper mask, flow (15-25 LPM) or some form of demand delivery, and technique (several kinds) and lives have been saved...

Best

Jon

Hey Big J,

Benadryl works best to block the histamin H1 receptor when it's vacant.  If histamine molecules have already occupied available H1 receptors, usually characterized by a CH...  the Diphenhydramine will be useless.  Moreover, the histamine triggers the expression of CGRP and SP, both of which are responsible for neurogenic inflammation and the pain we know as CH.

The only way around this is to take 25 mg Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) every 4 hours during the day and hopefully during a CH pain free period.  This allows the Diphenhydramine to pass through the blood brain barrier to block vacant histamine H1 receptors before the histamine arrives.

You need to make a Redneck oxygen reservoir bag our of a clean kitchen trash bag, plastic Coke bottle with cap and the bottom cut off, some electrician's tape and some duck tape.  Use the search tool at the top of this page and key in Redneck Reservoir to find the "How To" DIY instructions...

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

Edited by Batch
  • Like 1

A redneck reservoir, Benadryl to cut migraines and Imitrex rebounds (Whaaat!) and of course Monsieur's D3... whew!

I better start a very organized journal for all this. So much info! 

*Interesting tidbit on the oxygen for the knowledge lovers, in the past when given oxygen for migraines, it had a strange affect on AiWS (Alice in Wonderland Syndrome). It increased Micropsia but decreased Macropsia (this happens randomly and both before migraines and without  migraines at all.) With Classic Migraines, it extended aura times but decreased migraine pain. Just some fun facts from my own Nuero experience as you never know, some other Neuro-wonder might come along these Cluster forums and find it helpful 

I used a cutting torch for about 6 months when I found O2 listed as the number one abortive. I put a wet wash cloth over the tip for moisture and cleanliness. I never had an issue with it. Just dial it up or down on the torch handle. Just like welding or cutting. Walking to the basement in freezing weather 4 times a night got old for sure. So, I bought another few tanks and gave up 1/2 a room to my CH stuff! Privacy please.

My dog was quite sad when I stopped going out all night and she lost her extra walks!