CH triggers

jh

Cocolate contains a lot of histamine, so yes it could trigger an attack. If you can't get the finger from chocolate, i would recommond white chocolate instead! This only conists of cacao butter and has much less histamine. However, this is like with every trigger. I could for lots of us, but it is not for sure for everybody.

Cheers,M

Hi JH,

Alcohol is a popular trigger for a lot of people. Thankfully, it doesn't trigger mine, but I'm rare in that regard. 

This is the first I've heard of a food trigger, but as chocolate triggers migraines for some people, seems logical it could trigger clusters. 

A drop in stress is another big trigger for a lot of people, as well as atmospheric conditions, barometric pressure and of course, sleep.

MG

Burning smells (frying, oil cooking off from an oven is huge)

chocolate (does happen)

cigarette (sometimes)

Alcohol (Every time)

certain sitting positions on couch (common)

falling asleep (nightmare on elm street scenario. Gotta love those 7 cluster nights)

Anything with heavy chemical scent (I hate perfume!)

Dehydration (I think it's tied in for sure)

Edited by xBoss

3 hours ago, Boatman said:

X boss I couldn't agree more. I hate purfume!!. Candles and car freshners!!  The couch sitting positions too.

I suffer from lots of muscle tension year round. I feel like certain positions trigger tension headaches that trigger ch. Not sure but it was the first thing i figured out 21 years ago.

When i sit for an extended period in a kinda leaning back position the ch sets right in.

All chemical scents that are not organic smell like poison these days. They make my lips buzz and you can taste them. Def developed hyoer sensitivity since ch

9 minutes ago, xBoss said:

I suffer from lots of muscle tension year round. I feel like certain positions trigger tension headaches that trigger ch. Not sure but it was the first thing i figured out 21 years ago.

Same for me! I could use a massage since they are so intractable!

Migraine triggers

• Chocolate (a big one)
  • Citrus fruits (orange, lemon, grape fruit, etc...)
  • irregular sleep
  • drop in stress
  • dehydration

Cluster headache triggers

• drop in stress (the biggest one)
  • alcohol
  • barometric pressure changes

Drop in stress is quite spectacular. On Monday I had an attack starting 3 PM and drove home which took around 45 min. The attack stayed at KIP 3-4 during my way home. Once I came home, it suddenly exploded to KIP 8 in a matter of seconds ! Most likely because of the sudden state of relaxation.

Siegfried

Typically most of our food triggers for CH are foods high in Tyramine.  

Chocolate, Alcohol, Any preserved or aged meats (salami etc), Any fermented foods (Aged Cheese, soy sauce, etc).  Tyramine is a byproduct of food breaking down and triggers inflammation in some people.  There's a common trigger list CHFather put together some time back.    

When my CH hits, if I conform to a strict diet I can significantly reduce my attacks.

J