Any input

VocTeacher

I have been in a 4 month cycle I have been doing the Batch vitamin D regiment o2, My CH have been about a 3 or 4 since starting that (THANKS AGAIN BATCH) I have just did an MRI of my neck for another reason and have a herniated disc and nerve impingement, Ok the crazy thing is I am putting together a time line and neck injury coincides with my cycle has anyone ever heard of a pinched nerve in C 6-7 and C8 causing CH I need Dr to get on same page I know there CH because when there to bad sumatriptan injections work, Am I wrong for thinking there is a connection. Any info would help I have my 1st Batch of MM growing but still a few weeks away from a flush, I do on occasion get a CH full blown 10 while I am sleeping it seems to always hit when sleeping why is that

The night time attacks waking you up from a dead sleep is just a little bonus perk of the condition. It is said that CH originates in the hypothalamus which also controls your sleep wake cycle. It’s probably a coincidence your neck troubles started the same time as their CH. I’ve only been here a short amount of time compared to a lot of active members. But I have noticed people attribute their CH to just about anything if more than one person comisurates. Some say anesthesia from surgery caused it, others say dental work, others say injury. Some say hormone changes. I have given up trying to figure out why. Many people smarter than me have tried to figure the pathophysiogy of CH and barely come up with a working theory let alone a cause. I think it’s best to accept it as part of your life rather than let it consume you when you’re not suffering. My time inbetween CHs these days is too precious for me to dwell on it. Figuring out why does little help to treat. I wouldn’t get a cervical fusion bc I thought it might make my CH better. Chances are it won’t do a thing and cervical fusions you really want to put off until your quality of life is so poor you have to do it. So many people have undergone sinus surgery or dental surgery bc they or a doc thought it could help. I’d say your mm are your best bet. 

Hey teach!

I'm sorry but I can't remember what your ch history is off hand but if you've had clusters for a while and are now in a 4 month cycle that coincides with your neck injury, you may well have acquired a 2nd diagnosis of cervicogenic headaches as well!!  

They mimic clusters in many ways.....my good buddy Hollywood Dan of NatGeo fame has both dx's.....the good news is that he is able to get relief from the cervicogenic hits with nerve facet injections every few months!

DD

• Like 1

Thanks DD. I have had cervical neck issues for some time as well, but I had a series of 5 burn surgeries on my neck in 2017 and no longer have neck pain or a bulging disc thank god. I have never heard of that Dx. Something I’d look into for sure Voc. 

1 hour ago, VocTeacher said:

has anyone ever heard of a pinched nerve in C 6-7 and C8 causing CH

I have a pinched nerve at the C7, when I straighten out my right arm, my middle finger gets zapped. The pain began to manifest right around the time my 2nd cycle started.  No clue if it caused the CH, but there's no doubt we have a couple things in common.

Dallas Denny my Nero doc said the same thing I have CH for a few years when ever I get a cycle I have neck pain it would be my 1st indicator that a cycle was going to start but I didn't have any neck injury, Freud your so right I explain to my wife that it consumes me which in turn causes anxiety and depression I try and live a normal life but always fearful that an attack is going to happen

Thanks  

• Like 1

Teacher 

I have the same problem, my neck hurts so bad while in cycle it makes me believe thiers something wrong with it. It hurts to the point sometimes it's as bad as my clusters. Freud is right.. focus on painfree days.. take it one day at a time.. sadly our loved ones can only understand so much.. The clusters have consumed me too where I can't stop wondering when the next is coming and what,when,where,how and why.. Day by Day my friend and good supportive people.

Hey Voc, you and boat man have similar jobs I think if I recall correctly. At any rate when I started this busting adventure I’m on a little over a year ago I was on a monthly psych med and switched to the quarterly injection. Before I switched and realized it was an atypical blocker I got a 2 month break from my CH. the first month it was real hard not to think they were going to come right back any min. Then the second month I started to smile more and relax. Then they came back and I’ve been stuck with them since. I just accept the fact that this is my life for now until I can detox in 9 more months and have a unblocked bust. Some days are easier than others. But I stay away from the why or why me thoughts and just live in the moment. Boatman and I have had several conversations about it. 

Hey Voc Teacher,

How much vitamin D3 are you taking and have you had a recent lab test of your serum 25(OH)D?  The two main reasons CHers don't go CH pain free on the vitamin D3 regimen are the vitamin D3 maintenance dose (and resulting serum 25(OH)D) are too low.  4 to 6 days at a vitamin D3 loading dose of 50,000 IU/day and a new maintenance dose 5,000 IU/day higher usually solves that problem. 

The other reason involves allergic reactions.  In this case, a week to 10 days of a first-generation anti-histamine like Benadryl (Diphenhydraming HCL) at 25 mg every 4 hours during the day and at bedtime usually does the trick to jump start the anti-inflammatory regimen or MM.  Just be careful and not drive as this much Diphenhydramine will make you drowsy.  If you need to drive during the day, wait until home for the day then take 50 mg as you walk through the door and another 50 mg at bedtime.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

Edited by Batch

I had a full time job when I was 25-26 that involved looking up at ceilings all night, fixing, painting, cleaning them. Big stores like Macys. Anyway, the clusters started after that time and I started out by getting my wisdom teeth pulled because I thought it was the teeth. I feel like the job messed up my neck for life and may have helped trigger the condition.

Hey Voc Teacher,

You're getting great input/advice from these posts! When I first got hit, that was my first question, WHY?? In my profession, it's my objective to get to the root cause. Do I think a cervicogenic problem could trigger and/or cause the beast? Absolutely! While the culprit of this condition seems to be a dysfunctional Hypothalamus, something had to cause that area of the brain to go wonky! This is a functional problem. It is a neurophysiologic certainty that prolonged spinal dysfunction will result in some form of central consequence. Now what that central consequence will be is basically a roll of the dice! The chemical changes that occur open up a whole other Pandora's box!

We all get varying results with the different forms of treatment, but I would definitely recommend the alternative methods found on this forum! They have helped me immensely. I have incorporated Batch's D3 regimen in my practice for the Migraineur's I have. I would also try and find a good Chiropractor who is well versed in Functional Neurology, a Massage Therapist and an Acupuncturist.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Good Luck 

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2019 at 12:41 PM, Batch said:

Hey Voc Teacher,

How much vitamin D3 are you taking and have you had a recent lab test of your serum 25(OH)D?  The two main reasons CHers don't go CH pain free on the vitamin D3 regimen are the vitamin D3 maintenance dose (and resulting serum 25(OH)D) are too low.  4 to 6 days at a vitamin D3 loading dose of 50,000 IU/day and a new maintenance dose 5,000 IU/day higher usually solves that problem. 

The other reason involves allergic reactions.  In this case, a week to 10 days of a first-generation anti-histamine like Benadryl (Diphenhydraming HCL) at 25 mg every 4 hours during the day and at bedtime usually does the trick to jump start the anti-inflammatory regimen or MM.  Just be careful and not drive as this much Diphenhydramine will make you drowsy.  If you need to drive during the day, wait until home for the day then take 50 mg as you walk through the door and another 50 mg at bedtime.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

Batch I am waiting my results on blood work I will post when I receive them if I need to tweak the V-d3 let me know I did try to load but didn't feel any change

Hey Voc Teacher.

Howz the head?  Vitamin D3 loading typically needs to be a minimum of 5 to 7 days at 50,000 IU/day when at higher 25(OH)D serum concentrations around 80 ng/mL to have a significant effect on CH frequency.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

Edited by Batch

Dear Voc,

How is your head and neck feeling? I am curious because I too have thought that I could potentially be suffering from Cervicogenic headaches. I have recently started physical therapy which is helping some but am very close to asking about a nerve block or facet injection for myself. The only problem is I am 26 years old and do not want to take copious amounts of steroids for the rest of my life. I already take them to get rid of cycles... last cycle (August to November 2018) took two rounds of pred and finally mm which I believe took the beast away! Have been micro-dosing on L but still get the constant right sided neck pain on the same side as my clusters. If anyone has any experience with these or could help me to understand what some possible options are please let me know, otherwise I hope you are feeling better Voc.

Sincerely, HCH

Edited by HCH26