ClusterBusters
Sign in to follow this  
Dana129

Excuse for having a doctor arrange a vitamin D blood test

So as I’ve said before, I am not officially diagnosed...(gave up getting diagnosed a while ago) but I am gearing to get started on the d3 regimen, but first things first, I need to get my levels checked, so what do I say to my GP to order a vitamin d test? Any symptoms or anything I can name? 

Hey Dana

Print out the following link and take a copy to your PCP when you ask for the lab tests of your serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH.  Explain that you have cluster headache, you suspect you're vitamin D3 deficient and that this treatment protocol is very safe and healthy way of elevating serum 25(OH)D and help prevent your CH.  This CH preventative treatment protocol has a section on lab tests your PCP should understand.  Results from this first set of labs will give you a baseline to measure your progress when you come back for the same labs 30 days after starting this regimen.

http://www.vitamindwiki.com/tiki-download_wiki_attachment.php?attId=7708

If your PCP gets hissy and refuses to order these labs, you can order the home DIY blood spot test kit from Grassrootshealth.net at the following link for $65.  No Rx required.

https://grassrootshealth.net/project/daction/

You'll be asked to join their D*Action program... It's free.  There's also a questionnaire they use to cross check a number of medical conditions related to a vitamin D3 deficiency.   I keep one of their test kits on hand all the time.  They even have a short video to show you how to collect the two blood spots needed for the 25(OH)D lab test.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

Edited by Batch

In Canada, for example, since the entire population is vit d deficient basically, a lab will not do a vit d test, unless it is for I believe liver function? My neurologist had to order the bloodtest with I believe that as the reason. I may be misremembering, but there is another condition that presents/can be detected with a vitamin d test. So in Canada when everyone is going to come back likely vit d deficient, there needs to be a better reason than "They might be vit d deficient" or a lab will not do it.

Hey Dana,

Climate is one factor when it comes to a geographic prevalence for CH, but latitude is the biggie.  The farther North, the higher the prevalence. Skin type and more specifically the amount of dark pigmentation is also a significant factor.  That said, there are also demographic cohorts near the equator where obtaining direct sunlight is not an issue yet some of these people also have a higher prevalence for CH.  The reason for this is air conditioning.

For example, there's a greater prevalence for CH and migraine in Finland per 100,000 than just about any other country in the world.  Here we are talking about a country that crosses the Arctic Circle where the incidence of direct sunlight is lowest and a national genome with the least amount of skin pigmentation. i.e., very pale skin.  The thinking here is as humans migrated North from equatorial regions they tended to give birth to children over many generations with less pigmentation. 

People who did not evolve with less pigmentation during the migration north were unable to produce sufficient cutaneous vitamin D3 so did not have sufficient bone mineralization.  This resulted in a smaller pelvic girdle and women with this condition tended to die in child birth removing them from the evolving genome.  Hence, survival of the fittest.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

Edited by Batch

As Batch said, a large part is the amount of sunlight and the quality, since Canada gets sunlight filtered through more atmosphere due to angle, even in the summer it is not the same as say the equator where it is simply the depth of the atmosphere and not the depth plus angular distance. Add to that in the deep winter months we end up with maybe 8 hours of 'daylight'  that's including dawn, dusk and we are overcast quite often. So, long story short northern climes people have a hard time producing vit D simply from the sun and should look for it in diet or supplement, ch or not. 

So, yes even with good doctors, here there needs to be a reason more than "Might be vitamin d deficient" for that test, because the answer almost universally to that is 'Umm, it's Canada, of course they are vit d deficient."

On that note, have there been studies if moving from a northern clime to a southern or equatorial climate has improved ch?

Hey Dana,

Just tell your PCP you've been taking 50,000 IU/day vitamin D3 and need to check for toxicity... He'll freak out and order the labs for 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH ASAP!  ;)

In reality, you could probably take that much vitamin D3 for a couple months and still not push your serum calcium above its normal reference range...  That's called hypercalcemia a.k.a., vitamin D3 intoxication/toxicity... but you don't need to tell your PCP that...

Take care,
V/R, Batch

OK, Brain on Fire,

Do you spend 20 to 30 minutes 5 days a week in the mid-day sun clad in speedos with no sun block?  Arms, legs and neck don't amount to much cutaneous vitamin D3 as measured by a lab test for 25(OH)D above 30 ng/mL even in SoCal and FL.

As CHers we need our serum 25(OH)D up around 80 ng/mL for a favorable response with a significant reduction in the frequency of our CH.  Many of us need an even higher 25(OH)D serum concentration between 80 and 120 ng/mL at times even higher for a complete cessation of CH. 

You can always get the lab test for 25(OH)D and prove me wrong...  The standing bet is a beer and a shooter at the next Clusterbusters Conference in Dallas.  Have I got a taker?

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

Edited by Batch

Is it possible to take perhaps 2 weeks worth of maintainence dosing in say 2 or 3 days...I have something coming up and I won’t have access to my supplements 

G'Day Dana,

ZipLock bags work great!  That is unless you've a mob of Roos going through your goodies...

The accelerated vitamin D3 loading schedule works best if taken daily.

Some Vitamin D3 loading schedules call for a single oral dose of 600,000 IU of vitamin D3...  The problem you run into is you also need a constant supply of magnesium.  Taking more than 1000 mg/day is a sure fire way for osmotic diarrhea.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

Edited by Batch

Batch, I spend at least 3 hours a day in the sun everyday. Arms, legs, neck, face, head, back, chest. Each opportunity for full exposure is taken. If I am fortunate to attend I'll bring my labs with me & MEET you in the bar!

Hey Brain on Fire,

Good on you...  That much exposure to the UVB in direct sunlight puts you in the same category as SoCal life guards..  Their mean 25(OH)D serum concentration is around 50 ng/mL with a few up to 80 ng/mL.  That said, if the CH beast is still jumping ugly... that's not high enough.

Hope to see you in Dallas.  I'll be waiting at the bar.  :D

Take care,

V/R, Batch

Batch is right.. I told my Dr I took 2 million iu of d3 in the month of march and she finally agreed to test mine under D3 toxicity.. I told her i didn't care if I had to pay out of pocket I wanted it checked. She luckily said she didn't want to see me pay out of pocket so she put it through D3 toxicity even though we both knew I wasn't toxic. My taste came back 63.