How does the Beast return?

MoxieGirl

Question for my Episodic friends.

When the Beast returns after being away for awhile, how does it do it?

Does it pounce on you without warning with a full-force cluster attack? Or does it give you some warning, build up over a few days, for example? 

I've had more clusters this month than normal, and they are getting longer and sharper, with more intense after affects. And, closer together. I've had 3 in the last few days when I normally have 1 a month, maybe two, but very spread out. 

It feels like the beast is roaming around the outskirts of my village, poking at the boundaries, preparing for a proper attack. Testing my defences. 

Is that normal? 

Should I be worried?

Mox

• Like 1

For me the 1st sign is I can feel the weather changing. The 1st ch attack is usually a 6 and usually shows up after some adult beverages. The 8 and ups show there lovely face a couple of nights later usually 45 min after I fall asleep. 

Thanks for the info. My problem at the moment, is that I'm getting so many migraines, and having to take so many triptans, I can never get 3-5 days clear of a migraine in order to bust. I need to bust, need to stop these migraines and prevent the clusters from coming back.

Alcohol isn't one of my triggers, so can't test them with that. 

My clusters, for the last year or so, last a matter of minutes. But, they are getting longer, 15-20 minutes. Which I know is short, but it's a sign they are changing. Not looking forward to them returning to 45 min+.

Mox

The month prior to my full episode I get tension headaches. That is when stuff can trigger 6's like smokes, chemicals, smells, alcohol, weed etc. then I jump into the full cluster cycle and it's not about triggers, they just happen 2-8 times a day. 

9 hours ago, xBoss said:

The month prior to my full episode I get tension headaches. That is when stuff can trigger 6's like smokes, chemicals, smells, alcohol, weed etc. then I jump into the full cluster cycle and it's not about triggers, they just happen 2-8 times a day. 

My problem is I have daily chronic headaches and chronic migraines. I'm getting 25-35 headaches/migraines a month, and have been for a long time now. So that's not an indicator in my case, sadly. 

How is your sleep schedule i notice mine come back usually around day light savings time. I know its hard but i suggest trying to keep the same sleep pattern down. Sorry yours are coming back! I also think alcohol isn't helping it may not be a trigger all the time but it is dehydrating you. Best of luck

I Zookah,

My sleep pattern is a little erratic at the moment, but I'm generally getting enough hours. I used to have a very regular sleep pattern, but life has changed. If I have cannabis in stock, then my sleep pattern is pretty good and I can shut down the insomnia. If not, then it's whatever. 

Although alcohol isn't a trigger, I'd don't actually drink much. In fact, I've been shying away from alcohol for a month or two, just having the very occasional weak drink. I'm on the verge of cutting it out entirely for no other reason than I can and I want a break from it. Cutting down on a lot of things fattening, actually. So, it's not influencing things one way or the other.

I'm not sure that they are coming back, things have settled back down since posting this. I may have just had a spurt of them or something. 

Mox

Hi Moxie,

After nearly 2 months of complete remission of all kinds of headache, I am also back. I got my last very heavy migraine attack previous year in September and as they suddenly stopped, and as I am 50 years old, I thought these migraines were a thing of the past and they would not come back anymore. I told this often on this forum. 

But I was wrong :wacko:. Three weeks ago, I felt the usual heath in my right ear and thought a new cluster attack was in the make but suddenly started to feel nausea and the typical diffuse migraine pain. I had to go into my bed and could not stay up anymore. So I knew they were back... Such an attack usually stays 36 hours and I needed two Zomig to abort it. No clusters however. Started aggressively with the D3 regimen again but as I experienced already multiple times, it has zero effect.

Previous weekend it was again the same. We planned that weekend to go hiking and booked a nice hotel for that but all had to be canceled because I felt miserable. This weekend it all started over again but suddenly got hit by a 15 min very painful cluster headache. An hour later another one. Migraine was then triggered again after the cluster. So that was already the third week in a row. I am on a record Zomig intake this month. And even worse, I caught a bit of a flue lately but these headaches make my immunity drop very low so now I am sitting here at home sick with a flue.

So my take away of this: I always have to be prepared for what can come. These things (both migraine and cluster) tend often to disappear but can flare up unexpectedly in an aggressive way.

All the best !

siegfried

Hi Siegfried,

I've never known migraines or clusters to go away with age. Of course, everyone is unique, and I'm sure they will for some people, but I don't think it's as common as people claim. 

Migraines suck, and I hate how a cluster can leave a migraine or headache behind after an attack. Like, insult to injury. 

Hope the flu goes soon. 

Mox

Many times, over the years, I might have a a simple dental cleaning, then a week or so later, the headaches start.  (I've read there are some kind of tiny nerve fibers that can be triggered by dental work.)  This has happened so much that others have noticed it.  Another thing, maybe two weeks before, I get these horrible leg cramps in the night in both legs at the same time. They can't be ordinary muscle cramps because they hurt in BOTH legs at the same time.  They last for twenty minutes and hurt a lot!  

Edited by Jeanne
Wanted to add something.

It is hard for me to explain but usually I feel two short and quick hits on the right side of my brain (my ch side) with a weird feeling of distanciation like i've been knocked off. It last about 15 seconds but I know that it is there. One or two days later it is there in full mode... so I have one day to bust it!  

• 2 years later...

For me I start getting random spikes on the CH side of my head. In the start of a new cycle, the random spikes can last for 2-weeks prior to a full blown CH. Some of the days leading into the cycle I may only get one spike a day then others 4 to 5. The spikes feel exactly the same as a full blown CH to me with the exception that they do not come in succession. This last cycle lasted much longer for me than any other and I am not 100% sure why however, I suspect the smoke from the bad Caldor fire may have contributed as well as the fact that I took the triptans a few times after getting 3 or 4 spikes in a row thinking that it was going to go full blown. I am now a bit intimidated to take any medicine during an attack for fear that they will lengthen the cycle.. Still learning about about this monster that has taken up residence in my brain as its only been about three years that I became so lucky:rolleyes:

I get usually 4-6 migraines a year w clusters at the same time.  I don’t keep a chart like you @MoxieGirlbut last year and this year my CH has gotten out of hand as sept came and went.  I feel you in the migraines.  Some how I’m able to fall asleep w them but wake right up thinking damn migraine woke me up again, but know it’s just the first 39 Sec of opening my eyes and whomp cluster attack.  Forget about putting a ketamine in my mouth instant trio to hug the bowl.  I’d try and stay on a monthly dosing schedule if you’re able to see what that does.  I don’t have 25 a month and I was wishing I had a trex to stick myself w.  BHD has suggested that most of the suma if not all of it should be out of your system in 24h.  Risk of serotonin syndrome is low and just bust (that’s my opinion not BHD). See what that does.  It’s all trial and error.  I don’t have line any more so DM me we can catch up. 

best wishes from this side of the pond!