ClusterBusters
Dana129

Do you think trigeminal neuralgia is worse the CH?

Doing my daily research on clusterheadsches, a video of a woman having a TN attack popped up, she wasn’t really pacing or screaming, (I’m pretty sure that would intensify the pain) but she looked like she was reaching the heights of her pain, and probably would’ve been screaming and pacing if that wasn’t a worsening effect on TN, I read that attacks like migraines can last up to several hours, sufferers can barely move, smile, blink, eat, blink, or touch their face or pretty much make any movements at the risk of making the pain worse, my CHs like most of you would relate to is like my brain is litterrly on Fire, usually last around 30 minutes each, I just can’t imagine experiencing that pain with the additional symptoms of TN. What are your opinions?

All of the TACs are extremely painful and I wouldn’t want any of them. They all sound so miserable. I’m glad I got the beast I got and not another. But I suppose if I had HC that responded to indomethacin I’d be a happy camper. But just having one and the natural history of the pain without treatment I’d rather deal with my CH than SUNCT or something else. 100s of attacks a day? Vs my 3hr hits so hard to choose. At least some of my hits respond to oxygen. 

I think they are very close to each other in the level of pain. I've not had Trigeminal Neuralgia, but have spoken to people who have, and what they've gone through to make it stop. If I had to guess, and it might be biassed, I'd say TN maxes at a 9 and CH pings a 10. 

They are both associated with the trigeminal nerve, just in different places in the face.

But, pain isn't the element that makes something horrible. At least with CH, they don't often last longer then 3 hours, TN can last for days, and can be triggered by a smile. 

There is clearly more than one Hell.

Mox

I have both. A level 10 cluster headache resides in a pain category all by itself.

My Neurologist asked me to rate my TN pain, I said "about an 8", he had this puzzled look because he's used to hearing TN pain categorized as a 10.

The real hell is when they co-occur.

Here are my Marvel Universe pain comparisons:

Cluster Headaches - Thanos squeezing my head

Trigeminal Neuralgia - Thor's Hammer striking my face

Ice Pick Headaches - Black Panther's nails tapping on my head

Each one is powerful, but different.

Edited by dmlonghorn

16 hours ago, dmlonghorn said:

I have both. A level 10 cluster headache resides in a pain category all by itself.

My Neurologist asked me to rate my TN pain, I said "about an 8", he had this puzzled look because he's used to hearing TN pain categorized as a 10.

The real hell is when they co-occur.

Here are my Marvel Universe pain comparisons:

Cluster Headaches - Thanos squeezing my head

Trigeminal Neuralgia - Thor's Hammer striking my face

Ice Pick Headaches - Black Panther's nails tapping on my head

Each one is powerful, but different.

I was waiting for you to see this. How’s things going these days. Have you busted your CH?  I think you were attempting some months ago. 

2 hours ago, Freud said:

I was waiting for you to see this. How’s things going these days. Have you busted your CH?  I think you were attempting some months ago. 

Hey Freud - No dice on the bust. Neuro had me taper off of verapamil (slowly) and sure enough, after the 4th day, the symptoms started rising back to the surface. Verapamil, for now, is my saving grace.

I'm attempting another bust soon, going to tweak some things, take notes and then it's onto the next chapter I suppose :) 

My wife has a friend with TN and its far from a simple disease... also very difficult to treat it seems. Medications that work initially running out of steam after a while or have horrible side effects.