Simple Technique to Abort Headaches Right at Onset!

manishkpratap

Edit: 1. The title of this thread has been edited. The thread contains complaints that the previous title was misleading, for containing the word "cure", these do not include any criticism of the method itself.

2. The method described stops headaches almost instantly when performed at the onset and has always worked for me without exceptions.

3. Wherever I have mentioned "blocked" nostril, I intend to imply any situation where breathing is impaired. This includes runny nostril as well. The technique is equally applicable.   

4. Please restrict your replies to doubts about the method, your experience with it, or research/ your experiences pertaining to correlations between breath and CHs.

Headache is always accompanied by blocked nostril, the one on the same side as the hemisphere that is aching. The key is to merely keep that nostril flowing. And that would avert the headache. Here's how to do that. The moment you sense an upcoming headache, lie, or keep your head down on the side opposite to the one that's aching. Close the opposite nostril with your finger. And apply pressure under the opposite armpit with the fist of your other hand. That is, if you experience the aches in your right hemisphere, lie or keep your head down with the left side facing down towards the bed/table, close your left nostril, and apply pressure under your left armpit. These steps will prevent your right nostril from getting blocked. And arrest the headache immediately. The key is to do the steps the very moment you sense it coming. And keep at it for few minutes, not letting the nostril get blocked. Full blown attack will certainly be averted. It won't be as effective once you're already into a full blown attack and your nostril is already completely blocked. Just practice the steps once, get familiar with altering the flow of breath through the nostrils, so that you are ready to do it the next time you sense an upcoming headache.

Have been a sufferer since 2014. Tried this in around last 10 episodes, with 100% success.

All the best!

Edit: I know it sounds too simple to be effective, but just give it a shot!

Edit: You don't need to do all the three steps to reverse the flow of breath. Say if you are traveling, merely applying pressure under the opposite armpit will do the trick.

Edited by manishkpratap
Corrected the title to make it more appropriate.

I agree. I didn't want to mislead anyone by suggesting it's a permanent cure, antidote would be moreappropriate. However, I thought it might lead to more people checking it out and be benefited. I understand any skepticism as well, but hey, as a sufferer, I think you would appreciate if this can merely prevent the aches every time they are about to occur, if not cure them permanently.

Try it. After all, you have nothing to lose, except the headaches!

I agree. I didn't want to mislead anyone by suggesting it's a permanent cure, antidote would be moreappropriate. However, I thought it might lead to more people checking it out and be benefited. I understand any skepticism as well, but hey, as a sufferer, I think you would appreciate if this can merely prevent the aches every time they are about to occur, if not cure them permanently.

Try it. After all, you have nothing to lose, except the headaches!

Apparently, the blocked nostril is a necessary condition for the headache. Ensuring that it stays open somehow 'breaks the circuit' and prevents the headache from kicking in.

@manishkpratap Is it possible to edit the title of this thread, maybe not to come across as misleading? If not maybe the moderators can.

Now for the real reason I came to post here. If I understand you correctly, I think I experienced something similar.. sort of... and without the armpit thing, which I'll try, it costs nothing but time and thanks to CH, I have that.

I was on verapamil at the time, so I was spared what I called "true attacks" but experienced A LOT of the other general crap that comes with CH, randomly clogged sinuses and I was VERY sensitive to high-pitched sounds. So sensitive I would have to wear ear plugs around the house. When it got real bad I would lay on the bed with ear plugs in and further, wrap a pillow around the back of my head onto each side, ensuring each ear was covered.

I had done some research on the anatomy of our sinus cavities and my rough takeaway was that those cavities or sinus "pockets", particularly the pockets above/behind our eyes, can link together, allowing for any mucus to flow from one pocket to the next. People that have sinus problems, like a deviated septum, might have issues with the mucus flowing from one cavity to the other.

So as I laid there for up to an hour, my breathing would slow and I could hear my heart beat and then I could eventually hear and feel the sinus mucus activity. I thought to myself "I wonder if I lay on my side, I'll be able to actually hear the movement from one pocket to the next." Then the experiment began. I purposefully laid on my side to listen to the impact gravity would impart on the mucus inside my head as it traveled from one end to the other..... the things clusterheads do, lol.... After about 5 mins I felt and heard it move ever so slowly to in between my eyes and eventually fully into the cavity on the other side of my head.

The most interesting part was as it traveled across the space that would be directly in between my eyes or behind my nose, I felt this "pop" and release of pressure, like popping a really small bubble behind my nose. I found it interesting so I flipped back over and sure enough, another couple "pops" and more pressure release... mind you, I was actually hearing these "pops" too, not just feeling them and to me they were loud. I did that process until there were no more "pops"... and that's really all I got because at the time, I didn't think I was in a cycle due to the verapamil, so I didn't pay it much mind and forgot about it... In my latest cycle the onset of pain has been erratic and fast, but I'll certainly give this a try again and report back.

Take care.

Edited by dmlonghorn
words can be hard sometimes

@dmlonghorn Thanks for sharing your experience. I tried editing the title, but it's not possible at my end. It would certainly be great if the mods can do it. And we can actually focus on the technique rather than getting lost in semantics.

The armpit technique supplements lying down, and speeds up the opening of the nostril. For me, lying down sideways by itself opens up the nostril. The armpit technique can be used in conjunction if you have a very rapid onset, or if you are not in a position to lie down.

The revelation came about to me while researching ancient Indian breathing techniques called Pranayama, after I had exhausted all other treatments. While it has been only a month since I started regular practice and I certainly can't claim I am permanent cured, the philosophy behind Pranayama linking the effects of breathing patterns on brain function are intriguing to say the least. For the time, I am relieved to merely arrest the headaches right at the onset with such a simple technique.

I am confident that I am not unique in being the only person who could be benefited by this technique. And that many others could benefit from it. So yes, please try it out and do share your experience. Remember to perform it right at the very first signs of an impending ache.

@Freud Runny nose and and pain in the eye follows, that is once you are in a full-blown attack. If you notice carefully right at the onset, it begins with noticeable blockage in the affected nostril and then starts to get worse from there on. If you make sure that the nostril on the affected side stays open through this technique, then you won't get to the stage where you experience runny nose and pain in the eye.

@Freud Runny nose and and pain in the eye follows, that is once you are in a full-blown attack. If you notice carefully right at the onset, it begins with noticeable blockage in the affected nostril and then starts to get worse from there on. If you make sure that the nostril on the affected side stays open through this technique, then you won't get to the stage where you experience runny nose and pain in the eye.

My CH is not the same as your CH. my nose doesn’t do much for the majority of my CH. I’m getting 8-12 attacks a day.  The intensity isn’t always runny nose, clogged nose and eye pain. A lot of mine temporal head pain, neck pain. Then alternating in severity eye pain then head pain, then stabbing pain in the SPG. Then all at once or any combo of them. But clogged nose only happens if it’s a 10 and I can’t help but cry it hurts so bad. All Clusterheads are different!

No clogged nose stage.  My CH is not the same as your CH. my nose doesn’t do much for the majority of my CH. I’m getting 8-12 attacks a day.  The intensity isn’t always runny nose, clogged nose and eye pain. A lot of mine temporal head pain, neck pain. Then alternating in severity eye pain then head pain, then stabbing pain in the SPG. Then all at once or any combo of them. But clogged nose only happens if it’s a 10 and I can’t help but cry it hurts so bad. All Clusterheads are different!

"Discovered  the cure" is a very bold statement !

But nevertheless, if it works for you... great and if it can help someone else... even better :).

It does not cost us anything to try it out ...

Thanks for sharing your method !

siegfried

Edited by Siegfried

As you've probably gathered, we're not keen on BS. Don't pull our strings by saying one thing just to get people to check out your posts. I've actually ignored this post until now specifically because it had the word 'cure' in it. 

What you're describing is an abortive, please describe things correctly in future posts, it really helps and makes you look less like a jerk. 

Sorry, I know that's strong and a bit below the belt. But we are dealing with serious issues here, and we don't need misleading posts. Some people already struggle with trying the concepts we discuss here, and we need to be honest about what we tell them, and not misleading. 

For the record, my nose runs when I have a bad cluster, and does nothing if it's a moderate one.

I also have an abortive that I found worked 100% of the time. It never failed me. It involved pinching my skin to create a fold, and then pushing a hypodermic needle through the skin, and out the other side so the needle ends up laying flat against the skin. Would normally only take 3 or 4 needs for a complete abort, although you can put a 5th one just for fun, if you want. The way this works is that the brain can only process one source of pain at a time. So by introducing another intense pain elsewhere, it leaves the cluster to go investigate that new pain. I don't recommend this to people who don't know what they're doing and aren't a bit weird like me. Nor would I ever call it a cure.

Mox

• Thanks 1

Wow @MoxieGirl,

this  works for you all the time?  I don’t see sticking needles through my skin as painful. It’s may be a pinch but short lived and by no means reaches the kip scale?  Is it just seeing it going in/ through that gives you a rush?  Try pushing on your armpit the next time you do the needles may be the two will do wonders. I kid sorry can’t help myself. Hmm so you have 5 needles sticking in your arm when you’re done moxie or you do the same one 5 times?  It’s a hella of a lot cheaper than trex or oxygen. 

Edited by Freud

LOL Freud,

Yes, it worked all the time. But, I can't usually do it when the clusters are at their peak, my body is shaking too much and I don't have fine manual motor control. When I'm coming down a little, say KIP 8. Though, to be fair, I used to top out at around KIP14 sometimes. 

There is almost no pain putting a needle into the skin, but when it comes out the other side, that's when you feel it. If getting a shot were a 1 or 2 on the pain scale, the needle coming out the other side would be a 5 or 6. Not KIP level pain, just a normal pain scale, but it's enough to distract the mind. 

Google 'Needle Play' and go to the Images tab if you want to see what it's all about. (NSFW) And that'll explain why I have a box of such needles, in a range of sizes and lengths. It's good fun. And when you have someone putting 10, 20, 30 or more needles into you, it's a serious endorphin rush. Which is of course why kinky people like me do it. 

I don't normally do it in my arm, although I have. It's easier if you can pinch the skin with one hand and insert the needle with the other. The leg or inner thigh works, but I usually go for breast material. Enough flesh to pinch, easy to get to on myself and I'm not going to catch the needles on anything as I might if they were in my arm. I've not done this for years, as an abortive or even for fun. But if the clusters got bad again, sure, I'd use it to cut the life of a cluster short. It pretty much stops a KIP8 cluster in its tracks and floods my mind with endorphins, which I don't get from clusters. It really changes my whole mental state during what would be the last 30 minutes or so of a cluster. And yes, I use a fresh, sterile needle every time. Never use the same needle twice, even on the same body. 

To be fair, I've done needle play for years, and it's in my catalogue of pain that I can control and manage. There is, at least in my life, a concept of good pain and bad pain, and I have a passionate love for good pain and a hatred of bad pain. I shall stress again: I'm not recommending this to others unless you know what you're doing and have someone with you the first few times. It can be very intense.

Mox

Hey Mox,

I think it’s more of a rush for you bc it’s your kink and not so much from the absolute pain. I personally don’t get that kink, it’s almost up there with cutting in my book, but I don’t judge to each is their own. I’ve seen much worse while finally going in to investigate this place called the dungeon or something in NYCs Chelsea district some years back. My favorite coffee house is there and this place always said closed when I walked by. One day it was open, doors letting the fresh air in and curiously worded signs. I walked around and was looking at various toys, tools, and in my mind torture devices. Like “WTF are urethral dilators doing here”. It was an ancient set, made me cringe enough to just want to get the hell out of there. Now there is the kip scale and then there is the PPS. Private Parts Scale...I would imagine that dilator set could yield super kip scale pain if I had to guess.  Just typing it gives me a PPS 1 tingle in my body. Lol. But like I said to each is their own. I imagine along with fecal treats some would even resort to dungeonesk toys as described above if it stopped their CHs. 

Since it hasn’t been brought up since I’ve been on the boards, I think that a kip 10 ought not have to include thoughts of suicide. Some of us just don’t think that way. I have begged for god (I was a kid) to take me in my sleep when I was burned. But never have I ever had thoughts of suicide. I never feel hopeless, partially due to use of psychedelics and partly because of my amazing support groups (mm,CH, family). However, I do  say holy shit what if my CH stays uncontrolled and Chronic for the rest of my life. And that scares the shit out of me something fierce. However this past week I learned what REM sleep was again =-)  Ah I almost forgot, when I hit K9-10 my adrenalin starts pumping like I’m on an epinephrine drip wide open. Along with that comes endorphins but they don’t touch the pain. It just leaves me with a prolonged feeling like when you almost rear end some one or narrowly avoid a car accident...  Well glade you found a CURE for your CHs. Hehehe

PFW

Freud

Edited by Freud
Typos as usual, but this time I actually caught one =-)

@MoxieGirl You are welcome to discuss/recommend your "serious" kinky practice in a separate thread. Leave this thread for rest of the folks who would rather try a simple technique that isn't weird/kinky, doesn't involve needles/pain and is easy to understand and try for anyone. I believe this forum is well-moderated, so leave it the mods to decide what is "misleading" and what isn't. 

• Sad 2

@manishkpratap wow a little protective of your thread. Things tend to go in what ever direction they may here. And I find her experience less hokey than your “cure”. And the “rest of us folks” think your “cure” is just as if not more weird than hers. Judgmental rude people usually don’t do well on public forms. But thanks for letting us see your true colors. 

Edited by Freud
  • Thanks 1

Here is my last comment on this thread, and the subject of thread titles.

Probably.

When I was considering buying an Audi TT, I joined a local TT forum that had regular meet-ups and such, to talk to others and get their perspective on the car. At some point I started a thread with an enticing title. I don't remember the words I used exactly, but it was designed to get people to open the thread. It wasn't misleading, but was very much an OH MY GOSH type phrase. I got a lot of backlash from the community because a few months before I joined, one of their well known members had died and my title brought back memories of the thread used to announce that person's death. It upset a lot of people, and I promptly changed the title and dialled it down. 

I learned a couple things from that. One, a forum isn't a newspaper and we don't need to entice readership with over the top post titles like newspapers use to get people to buy the paper. Two, you never know what is going to upset someone else. Every title and post I write I suspect will piss someone off, but I try not to. Sometimes, when I've got a migraine or am just in one of those moods, I have less patience with people than is required, and that comes through in my writing. For that, I'm sorry but am also human. 

The comment about keeping on topic is a good one. If Freud wants to know more, I'm sure he can PM me. 

Mox

• Like 2